Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sis2two

Question regarding beeswax/mineral oil for soapstone

sis2two
13 years ago

I have been using the claphams beeswax/mineral oil on my soapstone and it works so much better than mineral oil in my opinion. I am not quite sure how long it actually takes before it can be buffed out. Mine never dries to a dry looking finish like car wax looks if you know what I mean. Just wondering how long I should wait to buff it. Thanks.

Comments (8)

• sis2two
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bump

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

I usually start on the one end of my kitchen and work my way to the other. By the time I've applied the beeswax/mineral oil combo to the peninsula, I head back to the start to buff it out.

It's important to note that the application process may have been interrupted by one or both of the following scenarios:
    Scenario 1.
    Child: MOOOOOOM, I can't find my socks/gloves/ball/cup, etc.
    Me: It's wherever you left it/in your clean laundry pile, etc.
    Child: I looked and it's not there.
    Me: If it takes me less than a minute to find it, you lose tv priveledges/aren't going to so&so's house, etc.
    Child: I really looked.
    (30 seconds later)Me: Here it is. You didn't even look.
    Child: Can you take me to so&so's house.
    Me: Aargh!

Scenario 2.
    DS2: Owwwww!
    DS1: I didn't do it/it wasn't me/he's lying!
    Me: Deep breathing while fantasizing about going back to work in order to pay for full-time nanny.

You might not have these hiccups during your application process and may need to wait a few minutes before buffing.

• cleo07
    13 years ago

I use Holland Bowl Mill Bee's Oil. The container states 15 minutes before wiping it off.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Laxsupermom- I think you have my same kids! I loved your scenarios because I can so relate! Anyway my beeswax never dries which puzzled me and so I thought I was wiping it down too soon. Thanks for replying.

• latimore
    13 years ago

I have been using the mineral oil that was given to me when the soapstone was installed. I have been noticing a few dark marks on my clothes and finally this morning it dawned on me that they are at about countertop height.

I'm thinking it is from leaning over my oiled countertops. I guess maybe I am not removing enough of it?

Can someone give me a crash course in oil application? I have been keeping the cloth with the oil from last time in a ziploc bag and reapplying very sparingly. Then after using the oiled cloth, I go over it all with a clean cloth.

It doesn't seem like it should be much more complicated than that.

Would using the beeswax mixture solve this problem?

• hydrangea_luvr
    13 years ago

I'm afraid you are both wrong, and my kids have somehow appeared at your houses! They must be sneaking out when I'm not looking! :)

I'm interested in getting whatever info I can on this since we are looking at doing soapstone in our reno and I really don't want to run around with oil spots on my clothes!

Thanks!

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

My counters have been in since January 2009 and I haven't noticed any oily marked shirts for me or the kids(who eat breakfast and lunch at the peninsula and climb on the counters to get things.) I tend to buff the counters off with old, open-weave washcloths that have been relegated to the rag bin and are no longer used for faces.

I've never used just straight mineral oil, so I can't speak to that. Incidentally I made my own tub of mineral oil/beeswax mix when we first put the counters in and still have 2/3 of a tub left. I used 2 bottles of mineral oil from the drug store and 1 block of natural beeswax from the craft store(using a 40% off coupon, naturally.) I melted it all down in a saucepan, let it cool just a bit so I wouldn't burn myself, then poured it into a container that I keep under my sink now. I waited for the mix to completely cool and solidify before putting the lid on.

Ha ha, regarding our identical children. Don't get me wrong - I love my kids, but when I go to the bookstore cafe on the first day of school, it's tough not to give knowing glances to all the other SAHMs enjoying the first day of silence.

• carrie125
    13 years ago

We just bought the Beekeeper's Gold beeswax/mineral oil combination sold at Williams Sonoma and applied it today. DH applied the beeswax and then waited about 10-15 minutes before buffing it out. It looks beautiful and I didn't notice any rubbing off. Good luck.