Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
x-post lighting budget

Posted by plumberry (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 12:59

Does anyone know what an appropriate % of the budget should be marked for installed lights (recessed, sconces, surface mounted) in an entire house. product cost (not labor) our house is 3 bed 2 bath and we have a lot of sconces, canopy lights, track and surface mounted lights to buy and I have no idea what to budget.. tia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: x-post lighting budget

If you know roughly what you want, could you just price them out and see? And then pad your result 10% or so?

I don't think it's a straight % of budget thing on lighting because there are so many variables and preferences.

o

I'd decide what kind of lights you want and where, then try to price them out a bit to get a feel for price range. For example, you can spend $60-6,000 for a foyer light, but if you see many that appeal to you in the $200-300 range, then budget that for your foyer light.

I know the Ecosmart Cree LEDs are currently $27/6 in and $42/4 in plus housing, which I paid $15/4 in. Just recently.

After reading on GW for the past year and seeing what a difference lighting made in the kitchen remodel, I would make sure you get all the light you want. There is definitely a range of options for any lighting situation you have, so pricing out what you want would probably be most useful.

o

Lighting "products"-8 LED compatible recessed lights, 8 in cabinet lights and 120 v step down to low voltage wire/power supply, 8 direct wire 120 to in bar low voltage under cabinet lights (ucl), one chandelier and two sconces (everything on dimmers) in my kitchen remodel was approximately 3.5% of my budget. But, my ucl was very expensive because my GC wanted direct wire and the cabinet style mandated a low profile so few choices existed if I didn't want to see the lights which I didn't. Still, kitchen lighting can cost. Decide ahead on general lighting style and buy in bulk and on sale if possible. Dimmers can run high due to compatibility issues with lighting products and number around the room(s). Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here