Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Show me your countertops!

Posted by tlpetty (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 12:58

We are building a house and need to decide on counter tops. We are going with a white kitchen. I love the marble-look, but not willing to live with real marble and 3-year old twins. So, in a quest for lighter, durable, easy counter tops, we are going with quartz.

We are leaning towards Pental's Carrara or Latice, but having a hard time find pictures of it in use. We ruled out Torquay as the veining is too heavy for our taste. I also plan on doing real Veneto marble back splash and don't want clashing. Has anyone done marble-look counter with real marble back splash successfully?

Note: We do already have a smaller side counter picked out in Black Walnut.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Show me your countertops!

tipetty:

I make no claims to being a great designer, but I'd be afraid mixing marble and estone is going to look like you just missed each. Use estone on the splash and match exactly, or something that contrasts.

o

Mixing real marble and marble look quartz is not a good idea. It just makes the quartz look like fake marble.

o

o

I have been looking for alternatives. I am about to hire someone to sit across from me with a water pistol and squirt me in the eye until I just decide and live with the consequences!

There are a few details already chosen in the kitchen that factor in to making the decisions that much harder. Like...

1. There is already a side counter (where all my small appliances will reside) picked out in butcher block black walnut.

2. The island is going to be this color (link at the bottom).

3. The husband dislikes standard 3x6 subway and would much prefer a mosaic.

4. Cabinets are white and I want to keep a light/bright feel to the kitchen without making it stark.

I found a possible quartz, but have yet to see it in person called Alpine Mist by Ceasarstone. I am so overwhelmed...

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen island color

o

If you don't want to deal with marble countertops with toddlers/preschoolers, I'd also caution against some of the solid white countertops pictured above. Our new (to us) house has solid white corian and it's the worst. Every single little thing shows. Granted, stains eventually come up, but it looks dirty anytime anything touches it. I can't stand it.

o

Love the island color & I adore that backsplash.

o

OUKatie, I would never do all white. It is too stark and like you said, it wuld show everything. I do however like gray and white countertops and I love light "marbling" as opposed to speckling or really dark veining. I am not looking to find the best "fake" marble, but something that makes my heart sing everyday.

romy718, I love that kitchen too, hence why I am painting my island the same! I would LOVE to find a light greige or grey tile just like that back splash with a bit of variegation at a reasonable price. That would solve ALL my problems! Does anyone know where I can find this?

o

We were looking at Marble - but got worried about upkeep with kids etc... So found this granite - which we love. It's been in a year and is holding up great. We had it honed so it's even more forgiving.

o

Our Torquay veining is actually lighter than I'd like:

In our case, we needed the contrast of a dark backsplash.

Love the pictures posted. Good luck, I'm glad I'm not in your shoes!

o

Whitish granite option. I was worried about staining, but the sealer seems to do a fine job.

o

The backsplash in your inspiration pic looks like a light shade of green, that also blends with the island color. Light grey would be pretty but also look at some greens. I have light grey but saw a display kitchen in person with a similar colored light green backsplash-gorgeous. It was with white cabinets & Torquay.
Edit:typo

This post was edited by romy718 on Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 17:15

o

We have white Corian counters, and do not feel it dirties particularly easily at all. We have been happy with it, but now after 20 years it has developed some fine cracks that are not reparable.

o

gr8day, I just love that first kitchen you posted! I wonder what the counter is?

Sorry lindy1991 that your Corian counters are now developing fine cracks but they did last 20 years which is good. Thanks for sharing.

o

GTAOntario,

Is that Super White "Granite"?

We found that as well and fell for it, but after researching it found out that it is not actually granite, but Marble with dolomite in it. I actually fount a very good source on Gardenweb with the info. It was a geologist who explained the different minerals that make up the countertop and why it is misrepresented in the countertop industry. Anyhow, it ends up that it is only .5 increase on the hardness scale from Marble and just a porous with stains and etching, so we decided it was a bad idea. I was completely dashed!

o

i have wicked white on my island. honed AB on the perimieter. they say wicked white actually is a quartzite. but you know how "they" can be......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here