Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jge2010

logistics - prep zone vs. clean-up zone

jge2010
13 years ago

We are redoing the layout of our kitchen. I can have a large island across from my range with a large double sink for both washing dishes and prepping. I could also keep my sink for dishwashing by the window and have a much smaller island with a prep sink. I have been intrigued by these multi-function prep sinks designed by Kohler and Franke, and how people rave about them. However, in imagining how I would work in this 2 zone set-up, I suspect that I will end up with more traveling and sink function "confusion", plus more equipment expense. Do both sinks have disposals? We live in a city where we have to separate compost, recycles and trash. (i.e. more under cabinet space used) or I will be running from one zone to the next with my different kinds of trash . Also, after prepping, do you then run all your prepping bowls, cutting boards and utensils over to the dish sink for clean-up? Now that the range is across from the prep sink but further away from the clean-up sink, do I now have to haul the pots and pans over to the clean up sink? There is no room for two dishwashers in my kitchen. For those who have separate prep zones, how do you save steps and reduce replication of equipment? Am I missing something?

Comments (9)

• jge2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just to clarify my post previous post about what to do about the trash if I set up dual zones, do I have receptacles for both sinks or do I run with my garbage to whichever sink has the proper compost, recycle and trash receptacles?

• malhgold
    13 years ago

I actually put a larger sink(30") in my island for my prep zone than in my clean up zone(24"). My prep sink is diagonal from my range, and I prep on the island and hand wash all my pots, pans, cookie sheets, bowls, etc. in the prep sink. For the most part, the clean up sink is for items that go in the DW. My pull out trash is to the left of my clean up sink, so I can use that when I'm prepping at the island. I also put a small trash under the prep sink, but don't like to put degradable items in there as it doesn't get emptied as often as the pull out. I don't have any garbage disposals, so I can't comment on that. My set up has been working very well for us. Plus, someone can be cleaning pots while someone else is doing dishes. All the clean up isn't left to one person.

• doonie
    13 years ago

jge2010,

I have a 13'9" wide kitchen. On the clean up side I have a large double bowl sink with disposal. On the left side is a pull out cabinet with 4 recycling containers. To the right of the clean up sink is the dishwasher.

On the opposite wall is the range.

Directly across from the range, I have a large single bowl prep sink with a disposal and soap dispenser. I stand between the range and center island for prepping, then my cleanup people grab things off of the center island for cleaning. I went ahead and kept my Stainless Steel step pedal trashcan. I keep it at the end of the center island, against the wall, and so it is easy for the prep or the clean up people to use it (Probably around 3 steps away from both.) This setup has worked really well for me.

If I am prepping and want to compost something, I just place it on a paper towel or a bowl to carry it over.

Hopefully this makes sense.

This is the pull out recycle center:
    {{gwi:1554058}}

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

The "zone" concept can be defined in many ways -- which side of the sink/island, or a separate area of the kitchen.

If, routinely there are multiple cooks, then that's one set of layout needs. If it's principally one cook a majority of the time then for me, it's more traffic pattern than zone.

I feel a prep sink should have a disposer if possible. If not, then compost bin nearby.

The main sink should be all purpose IMO and I do think the new Kohler stages is a great concept because it has different levels. But I feel a disposer (or compost bin) should travel with cutting boards. So 2 disposers (one could be smaller) are great.

Then there's the relationship between the range/cooktop, the sink and the fridge. Also the sub relationships between those (i.e. sink/fridge; range/sink).

Everyone defines those differently and uses their sink differently so I'd list what your needs are and see how well the plan addresses them -- folks here can second guess it.

F.ex. When we bring groceries in they go on the end of the peninsula near the fridge. That's not near the sink or cooking areas -- it's across the kitchen.

The right side of my sink is the clean up and put back area -- with the dishwasher and plate rack above and storage on that whole side.

The left side of my sink is the prep -- between the sink and cooktop/ovens and near the garbage bin. I don't need to move to do either, just toggle cabinets and drawers.

All my food storage is on the cooktop/oven side of the kitchen; all the dish storage and other table needs are on the other side. Makes things very easy.

• holligator
    13 years ago

Both our prep sink and our clean-up sink are relatively close to our range, but the different zones allow for better function.

The area between the prep sink and the trash is where all the cutting and chopping happens, usually with the trash pull-out open. Prep dishes full of chopped goodies get set on the counter next to the range until they are needed. When emptied, they get set closer to the clean-up sink for washing.

Having the trash where it is means we only need one receptacle for the whole kitchen (well, it has separate trash and recyclable bins, but just one pull-out). It's location is convenient for scraping dirty dishes, too. We have disposals in both sinks but we limit our use of them since we have a septic system. They are used mostly for little scraps that aren't worth scraping up.

I really like having two separate sinks for a lot of reasons, but one I don't see mentioned here is cleanliness. My prep sink is ONLY used for washing veggies and draining pasta, so it's easy to keep sanitary. All gross, germy things happen in the other sink. If I have chicken, it gets rinsed in the clean-up sink and it gets chopped on the counter between the sink and stove to minimize nasty dripping. That means I only have one sink that requires real daily cleaning. Both sinks have bottom grids, which also helps with cleanliness.

• jge2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! Everyone gave very thoughtful advice. Malhgold, that was an interesting idea to put a larger sink in the prep area and wash the pots there. My question is do you let them drip dry on your island, and therefore cluttering up that surface, or is there someone there ready to dry them and whisk them away? Also, what is the aisle width between your island and the range? Doonie, I love the 4 recycling container pull-out cabinet. Who makes it and would it be possible to get the exterior/interior widths? Also, where can I order that wonderful sounding appliance called "clean-up people"? Rococogurl, you confirmed my suspicion that 2 disposals are necessary. Drats, more expenses! Thank you everyone!

• plllog
    13 years ago

I don't have a disposal on my prep sink. I peel into it, but then scoop up the peels for the compost, or if it's too small for that I toss it into the clean-up sink. My meal prep has always been mostly veg, but with the new kitchen working so well I've found myself more willing to prepare meats. My sinks are at about the positions that Holligator's are, though the garbage is a pail I move around to suit myself. My clean-up counter is an inch and a half lower than my island prep counter. What I've been gravitating toward is handling raw meat and eggs at the clean-up sink, on the cooking side. I hadn't thought about it before, but I find that a lot easier than worrying about cross contamination in my main prep zone, and the lower counter is good for taller food (bird) or mixing bowl (eggs).

Everyone handles their kitchen differently, and your lack of clean-up appliance leads me to think you don't have minions for other chores too. If so, the work stations aspect of zones is less important than the expediency of having everything within reach. How inconvenient would it be to have the clean-up separated and over by the window? The set-up you were talking about with one large central sink area can be excellent. You're basically making yourself a galley, which is very efficient. One thing I love about my prep-stove-cleanup triangle is that I can be prepping on the island and easily just pitch something--literally--into the clean-up sink from where I stand. I would have been happy with one sink, but I needed two large bowls, in that case, and didn't have enough contiguous linear counter for that. What I have works well too. But remember that zones are a way of mind and organization, as much as they are physically discrete localities.

The more I've learned what works for other people in their kitchens, the more I've realized that optimal is still with the central functions at easy access points, with more specialized functions and storage radiating outward. So how far away from the action would the clean-up sink be? Even if you're hand washing the big items, what about the spoons and prep bowls and all the little pieces? Are you going to be carrying them a distance dripping on your clean floor to put them in the DW? Or is it just a few steps and having the separate zone gets them out of your way until you're ready to deal with them?

• jge2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dear plllog,
    Boy, you hit the nail right on the head!!! The clean up sink would not be so far away from the prep area. However when I prep, there is an endless array of bowls, measuring spoons, cups, plates,etc. You are right that all of these would either be hand washed at the nearer prep sink or moved over to the perpendicular wall where my clean-up sink is. I have redesigned my kitchen to be a galley set-up, with a large double sink that would act as prep and clean-up. I just regret that the sink would now be in the middle of the kitchen and not looking out the window (at a pretty good view). Now dirty dinner dishes will be deposited on the central island, waiting for clean-up. I went with a large double sink, as I hope that I can place a dish rack in one of them so that hand-washed items will not need to drip dry on the central island's counter. With too much time on my hand before we begin renovation, I am allowing myself to be enticed by other alternatives, when I read about people's love affair with their prep sinks!

• doonie
    13 years ago

My recycle cabinet measures 27" wide. It's through Plain & Fancy cabinetry. Here's a photo of my kitchen set up. You can just see the step pedal trash in the right of the picture. I really like having a step pedal trash can.

{{!gwi}}