Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhbaskets_gw

Backsplash install...disappointment

nhbaskets
9 years ago

I was hoping to show pictures of my backsplash that was to be installed today. Unfortunately, when the tiler we hired came this morning and unpacked all the tile, he found that we were several pieces short for the mosaic above my cooktop. There are five different style of tiles in the design. Two of the styles are short, one by 20 pieces and the other by 9 pieces. The tile shop that everything was ordered from did the design. I haven't spoken with them yet to determine what happened, but I was hoping to get some input from the great expertise here on how I should approach this.

Obviously, more tile needs to be ordered...which has a turnaround time of 5 weeks, since it is made to order. The good news is, the owner of the tile shop is the mother of the owner of the company who makes the tile, so some pull might be available to get it sooner than their normal deliver time.

My question is, who is responsible for paying for the additional tile, me or the tile shop who created the design and ordered the tile based on that design?

Secondly, since the tiler will need to come back an additional two times (he's able to do some of the field tile today and will grout tomorrow), should I expect to pay him more for the installation?

So disappointing. It's going to be beautiful when done, but it's the waiting that's putting me over the edge.

Comments (11)

• nancyocean
    9 years ago

First answer is the tile shop is responsible for paying for additional tile, you paid for something that was not delivered to you. I would expect to pay more to the tiler, and I believe you could ask the tile company for the difference. I would wait until they delivered the new tile to ask them, just in case they are jerks. If they aren't willing to pay extra, or in other words give you a discount, I think you'd have a good case in small claims court. Tile guy might be able to only come back one more time, in some cases you can grout and tile in the same day, if you use a special quick drying thin set. Sorry this happened to you, but I'm so glad that you think you'll love it once it's finished.

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

Thank goodness Tile Guy had the foresight to take out all the tile and figure out that pieces were missing!!

• amck2
    9 years ago

I'm by far not among the experts here on such matters, but my read on this is that the fault lies with the tile company. IMO, they should eat the charge for the extra tiles as you're being put out with further delay and having to make arrangements around the tiler having to come in again.

As regards the tiler. This is no fault on his part and he deserves to be paid for the extra time. I think the tile company should cover his additional costs. They're a reputable company dealing with high end products, charging top dollar. Their error - their responsibility to make things right.

After all you've gone through with this move, I'm so sorry you hit another bump on your way to the finish line.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

If you are lucky, the tile installer may not charge you more, because the job is only partially complete at the point and you are paying him for the full job. It seems fair to maybe pay him for an extra trip, but the time spent actually installing isn't changing, is it?

Be sure that you get some spare tile too in case of breakage or damage.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Normally, no tile shop will be responsible for any measurements. That's up to the tiler to provide to them to order. If the tile shop assumed that responsibility, then they are responsible. Providing the correct dimensions of the space were communicated to them. That is the first thing I would check. Who provided the numbers to them?

• kevdp4
    9 years ago

There's two ways to look at it. You should pay for what ever tile it takes to do your job. If they hadn't been short you would have paid for the tile, then why would you not pay for it now. If they had to much tile would you expect a refund for the extra?
    The exception is if you were taking apples to apples bids then they should pay for the tile that was short.

• localeater
    9 years ago

The way it works with the tile shop I use, is that if I hire the installer through them they are responsible for the order. I I hire them for the design and the tile order, my installer is responsible to ensure the measurements are correct.
    It is very clearly written on my paperwork. I have done different rooms different ways,

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Wait 5 weeks for a picture? No, no, no!!! (Please, little peek?)

(Sorry about the delay, you'll get there)

• amck2
    9 years ago

raee, for tradesmen like the tile guy, it's not just the time spent finishing the job. It's about travel and set-up/clean-up time and also time that he cannot be earning money doing another job. Unless this was his mistake, he deserves compensation for the extra day(s) he has to devote to this job.

• nhbaskets
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your input. It's so reassuring to have the group of amazing people to bounce things off of. Love you all!

The design was created by the owner of the tile shop. She ordered the tile based on her design and provided us with the names of tilers she recommended that could do the job. The tilers I received quotes from did it based on her design and the size of the job.

I'm of the opinion that the tile shop needs to pay for the additional tile. I've spoken with another person in the shop (the owner isn't in today) and have provided him with a photo my DH took of what had been completed on the mosiac. The tiler left spaces for the missing tile. Not sure how I feel about that, but it's on the wall. The photo doesn't do it just.

Anyway, the tile shop indicated they would be contacting the tiler to obtain the exact count of what is needed (plus allowance). I did not bring up who was paying for the tile, I'm just glad they are getting on this right away.

The tiler indicated to my DH that his invoice will be the same as his quote, so it sounds like he doesn't plan to charge extra. I'm thinking I will do something for him since this certainly was not his fault and he's doing us a favor.

• amck2
    9 years ago

Your custom backsplash is definitely shaping up to be the crowning jewel in your kitchen. Despite the delay, you must be pleased. I can only imagine how nice it looks from the vantage including your beautiful blue grey island.

Thanks for sharing a peek.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022