Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One pendant, or two?

Posted by BlackChamois (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 12:52

In my remodel, I will have a raised L-shaped bar as seen the sketch below. The long side of the L will extend a bit to create an overhang/bar on the one side (the short side of the L will support a bookcase/shelves.) The length of this bar/counter is about 40" (maybe more. Not sure that it will be as long as it appears in the sketch. I would know if my contractor would include the dimensions, but I picked a lame one!) Venting! Anyway, above, I would like to add a pendant, or two.

I think I will be able to accomodate two bar stools (it might be tight depending on the stools I select.) However, my question is should I do one or two pendants above?

You can see the L-shaped bar in the sketch below.
kitchen sketch

Also, to give an idea of the area in question, this is a picture of the OLD kitchen. Sorry so dark!
Standing in the family room. The fireplace is over my right shoulder.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One pendant, or two?

I think one, larger sized pendant would look very nice. Good luck!

o

OT but now that I see that side of your space, countertop height for sure!!! It's too short to be enough use as a raised counter and you will gain needed counter space.

o

I would do one decent sized pendant.

o

I believe the long side of your ell is 43" (not including overhangs). The dimensions are encoded in the cabinet labels, as W-D-H. On the back of the ell, you have a unit that is B31642. I believe that is 31" wide, 6" deep, and 2" high. On the short end of the ell, you have a hint that is B321242. This is 32" wide, 12" deep, and 42" high. So the long run of your ell is 31" (back cab width) + 12" (end cab depth) = 43".

o
typo on height

Oops, make that "...unit that is B31642. I believe that is 31" wide, 6" deep, and 42" high."

o

Angie, you are a genius! I had no idea that is what those numbers refered to! Why wouldn't they have explained that to me??!! I am so frustrated with my contractor. I have had to guess at everything! Thank you! That helps SOOO much! You're hired! :)

o

Why wouldn't they have explained that to me??!!

My guess is that they are so used to using this nomenclature (it is quite common), that they don't even think that others don't know it. By the way, I think that others use W-H-D rather than W-D-H, but that should be pretty obvious from context.

o

Thanks again Angie! I learn something new everyday on GW.

I am just frustrated because I have asked several times for the dimensions, and they never said "it's on the sketch". Would have answered so many of my questions.

Have a great day!!!

o

43" was my calculation also. Thats why I suggested one decently sized pendant. :) If you like those 4" micro pendants, you could use two.

How frustrating that they wouldn't tell you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here