Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyshadowwalker_gw

Done Finally!

ladyshadowwalker
11 years ago

I haven't posted in a while but I want to thank everyone for advice and ideas. The most important thing I learned was to just do something and stop agonizing over whether it was the perfect choice! This is my modest kitchen redo on a budget of about 8K everything is DIY except the counters.

I can add the details if anyone wants! I will say these are the Barker Doors I posted about, painstakingly finished by me! I did install LED UCLS very cheaply (~$40)(no they are not the battery operated ones the wise folks on here told me not use! lol )

I am so happy with it and can't beleive we did this!

basic layout

old

new

Comments (39)

• claybabe
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh!! That is amazing! I love the backsplash and how soothing the colors are. Very nice job. You are to be commended on fantastic finish to the cabs as well. Wow!

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Great job, just lovely! What a change. Love your cabs, golden and glowing. Congratulations!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

LSW! We missed you! That is a great transformation you pulled off. Congrats. And YOU may say "Finally" but I say "Wow, how did she do it so fast!?"

• tea4all
    11 years ago

Lovely remodel! Sure do like your color scheme--so pleasing. Your new kitchen is so much cheerier too. I like how you did your backsplash tile at the end run. I'm still in the planning stage and would really appreciate knowing the details on your faucet and flooring. Thanks. Enjoy your new kitchen!

• mrsjoe
    11 years ago

What an amazing difference! You must be so proud.

• akrogirl
    11 years ago

Amazing job! Everything works together so well and I particularly love your back splash. Congratulations, you must be so pleased with the final result :-)

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Wow! Love what you did and for a fraction of the cost of most of our kitchens. DH - no chance of DIY!

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

Gorgeous makeover!

• blfenton
    11 years ago

Wow! It's beautiful. I know it isn't any bigger but it sure looks like it is. The colours all flow together so nicely. Nice job.

• mamasheshe
    11 years ago

Wow, what a transformation! Enjoy it!!

• katsmah
    11 years ago

Wow! Very nice transformation! I've been stuck on my backsplash for awhile and it looks like your floor and counter are fairly close to what I have. Details please!

• modern_mom35
    11 years ago

so pretty! the wood is beautiful.

• kashmi
    11 years ago

Such a dramatic change -- all for the good. It just doesn't look like the same kitchen. Agree with others about the backsplash. But I also like how you opened up the area around the window. What have you done to celebrate?

• thirdkitchenremodel
    11 years ago

I can add the details if anyone wants

Well, duh! Of course we want details! Faucets, counter, the works!

And how you did all that for under 10k... Wow.

• rosie
    11 years ago

Wonderful, Ladyshadowwalker. Just the pix made me feel a real need for change, such a relief to get to your new kitchen. I could be happy cooking there. Enjoy! :)

• chiefy
    11 years ago

That's such an amazing transformation - and DIY!
    I'm very impressed.

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

How beautiful! The makeover looks so warm and inviting. I love the backsplash and the way it compliments all of your colors.

I hope you are having lots of fun creating in your new space. Congratulations!

• KBH
    11 years ago

Looks so great. Love the backsplash and how all the colors just go together so wonderfully. Countertop is such a gorgeous color combo.

• mmhmmgood
    11 years ago

Great job! What an improvement, kudos to you for the DIY project and the beautiful new kitchen you have to show for it! Enjoy!

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Congratulations on a job well done! The finishes look great. Enjoy your new kitchen!

• enduring
    11 years ago

Very nice transformation. I think the backsplash looks so nice, the scale is just right. Your floor and cabinets look great together.

• ladyshadowwalker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wow thankyou I'm glowing now too from all the compliments! I sat there with a glass of wine just looking at it for about an hour!

The details

Granite -Espresso (remnant)

Faucet Moen Neva (avail online ) Lowes has a similar one

Backsplash - GBI Capri Collection porcelain - Lowes

Floor( picked by my long suffering fiance who provided a ton of DIY ing-) American Olean 13" x 13" Torre Venato Sabbia Glazed Porcelain Floor Tile -Lowes special order.

Hardware Amerock

Cabinet and other refacing supplies - Barker Doors Windsor Hard Maple finished with oil based semi gloss varnish

Hinges - Blum soft close

UCL - White 60 LEDs 5050 SMD Light Under Cabinet Counter 12V (ebay seller metapark)

Going out to dinner to celebrate LOL!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

You did good! It is so pretty and functional now, and I am so impressed at your diy efforts and your budget. Well done.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Glad you are going out to celebrate. You deserve it. Really a lovely transformation. You must smile all over your face every time you walk into that lovely new kitchen.

• springroz
    11 years ago

You did an amazing job finishing those cabinets! The whole kitchen is just gorgeous!

I love the backsplash, too!

Nancy

• Pattyjill
    11 years ago

That is beautiful! And you did it by yourself on that budget! Congratulations. Job well done!

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    11 years ago

Your accomplishment of the new kitchen should give you the same glow that I bet the glass of wine did! The cab finish looks fabulous and the tile (backsplash and floor) look great too. Everything looks bright and clean.

And, I can't believe you ''got away with'' a *remnant* for your granite! That's just plain awesome shopping. I'm sure the granite looks even better with your UCLs :) .

cheers

• rocketmomkd
    11 years ago

What a great transformation! The doors look wonderful, you did such a great job. Congrats on finishing your DIY kitchen. Ours is also totally DIY except for the countertops. And we didn't finish our own cabinets either. Enjoy your lovely kitchen:)

• labbie
    11 years ago

Wowza, what a gorgeous transformation! Everything is beautiful and it's such a warm, welcoming space. You have a lovely view out your window too. Enjoy your new space!

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Thats fantastic! It looks so much bigger. Really like the UCL in the corner sink area. You're an inspiration- I have cabinets to redo for my laundry room.
    You've done a beautiful transformation.

• ae2ga
    11 years ago

The cabinets look fantastic - if you hadn't said they were doors replaced and finished, I would have thought whole new cabs. Great job!

Please link the discussion about your experience with Barker or just give details here about the shopping and finishing experience.

• beeps
    11 years ago

Very nice! I love how you ended the BS on that end. Very creative and looks great.

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

Wow! That is a lovely kitchen! I love your backsplash- so pretty how the colors meld together. I love the way you ended the run too- so creative! Can't believe that was DIY!

• shelayne
    11 years ago

That is amazing! I love how serene all your choices pulled together are! It turned out beautifully--you must be so happy!

Congratulations, you DONE GOOOOOD! :D

• PRO
    User
    11 years ago

Excellent job!! You might consider changing the side your fridge opens on - almost all fridges have the ability to change the handle side. Opening the fridge with the handles the other way would allow you to easily set things on the counter next to the sink, deposit lettuce in the sink, that sort of thing.

• Yvonne B
    11 years ago

Just beautiful! Everything looks wonderful together, and I really, really like your backsplash. You did a great job.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Wow, what a transformation! Love the counters and BS tile! Congrats for doing so much with your budget!

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

It does look bigger, those colors work so well together too. And you tiled that BS yourself ? :) and stained the cabinets ? :)
    The window is so much nicer now, what a great window. Have another glass of wine and smile. we are :) for you.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Absolutely lovely.
    You did a great job on your cabs, too! ;)