Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Accent backsplash design behind freestanding range, or keep same?

Posted by purrus (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 12:39

Hi all,

Subject basically says it all. I am using white subways for my BS. My range hood will be an industrial style stainless hood. My range is freestanding--i.e., it has a top part that extends above the backsplash.

My KD had mentioned putting a different tile type (like glossy white penny tile perhaps) above the range. But, is this done when one has a freestanding range? Most pictures I've seen online keep the tile the same throughout the entire backsplash in this case. thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Accent backsplash design behind freestanding range, or keep s

Adding: I have been known to overthink things. If this is one of those things, just tell me :)

o

I would stick with the subway throughout the back splash and resist the urge to use an accent or different tile behind the range. I think it is a more timeless look. Accent tiles come and go in popularity so for resale simpler is best.

Carol

o

I agree with OntarioMom, I think we can over-decorate and sometimes "less is more." The more different design elements, the less each can be appreciated, especially in an average sized kitchen.

o

Ok, that is where my gut was anyway. I really wanted my quartz to stand out and be the focal point so I will just go with that.

It'll be cheaper too!!

o

One hard finish pattern per room is best from what I have read on Maria Killam's colour and decorating blog.

Carol

o

I'd resist as much because there really isn't enough room for another focal point above the range riser as for any other reason. Any accent would look squished.

o

Sjhockeyfan, that was what I was thinking and why I asked. I was also thinking that I will have them continue the backsplash even with the counters behind the range just in case I ever get a slide-in range, you know? My range is a great GE profile and only 3 years old so it shouldn't be soon, but just in case.

It's settled, and I am relieved that for once the simpler option wins out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here