Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malhgold_gw

Need Help w/Lighting Plan-DH is Bugging Me!

malhgold
14 years ago

DH is bugging me for a lighting plan so I'm hoping for some help from you guys. I was going to post on the lighting forum, but everyone must be on vacation over there!

Anyway, here is the layout and some pics to help. I'm looking for suggestions on recessed lighting placement and size. I'm not interested in pendants over the island, but if there is another option besides recessed lights for that area, I'm open to them.

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments (21)

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

when I researched for my lighting plan for the recessed lights, I learned that it's recommended to place them about 4' apart for adequate lighting. I don't think you have enough. I'll assume your hood has lighting which will take care of cooking. I think I'd add one toward the corner where the DW and shelves are and move the one between the island and frig over to about 12" -18" in front of the frig. Over the island, how about a semi flush light? Are the narrow depth cabs on the other side of the island food storage/pantry? Don't you need some lighting over there?

• labradoodlemom
    14 years ago

Our kitchen is a lot like yours in that it has the perimter cabinets on the north and east walls and then an island in the middle. We had 5 electricians come up with plans and estimates for us and all 5 of them suggested very similar ideas.

They said we should do 4 six inch recessed lights, one in each "coner" of the walkways for the main lighting. These would be on one switch. Then, put two smaller cams above the kitchen sink (and for you, on the opposite side of the hood, for balance), also on a separate switch. Then, something over the island, on a separate switch as well. It sounds like a lot of switches, but it really makes sense to have the options, depending on what you're doing in the kitchen.

I think I'd leave the 2 other cams you have down at the end of the eastern-most hallway, towards the french doors, and keep them on the same switch as the 4 main lights.

Just a suggestion....

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sorry for the confusion....the lights that are there now are not indicative of any current plan. I didn't even realize until they were there until you mentioned it.

• rnest44
    14 years ago

Perhaps you might find something at the Tech Lighting site for over your island. They are a bit pricey but other companies make similar tracking. They seem like they might be a good fit for your style. The monorails don't have to use pendants.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I'm sorry Malhgold, but I'm not an expert. All I can do is post what our lighting plan was/is. We have plenty of light now...if we turn on all the lights (recessed, pendant, undercabinet, inside cabinet) it's as light as day...and I love it! We went from dark task areas/zones despite the bay window (b/c it was behind my work space) to one that has plenty of light no matter where I am or what I'm doing! BTW...my vent hood also has 3 halogen lights that are 50 watts on high and 25 watts on low.

Here are a couple of links that might also help:

Thread from 2007: spacing for recessed lights
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lighting/msg0617255126841.html

FAQ at LightConcepts.net
    http://www.lightconcepts.net/FAQ.html

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

What do you want to do over the small table?

I thought these guys had some nice ceiling fixtures:
    eurostylelighting.com

These guys have some unique fixtures - rather in the spirit of techlighting.com. Really interesting recessed fixtures.
    lumens.com

I like suspension fluorescents. There are also some fluorescent lights I've seen in commercial establishments that are single tubes recessed into the ceiling, long and lean with a directional trim instead of a visible lens.

I'd be tempted to put a wall washer on the open shelves next to the ref. Or put down lights in the top and use glass.

If you end up liking recessed more than anything, two small diameter ones on both sides of the range - centered over the countertop depth. Light from two directions is better than one. Horizontally,position just inside the vertical window casings - each set of two on a dimmer. The march of the recessed fixtures down the aisle is ok, but the island should have its own three.

If you use ceiling fixtures of some sort over the island, you can pair them with small recessed fixtures to boost the lumens while seeing only small decorative fixtures.

That's as much guessin' as I can do without you pickin' fixtures. The lighting plan changes with your fixture selections.

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Couple of questions:

1) should all the recessed lights be the same size? Or, could I do small ones like Bmore suggested on either side of the range and then larger ones "marching down" the aisle.

2) was "thinking" about something like this over the island(which I can't imagine gives off a ton of light). if i put a recessed light on either side of it, would you match the smaller ones near the range?

3) if there are recessed lights on either side of the range and something over the island, I'm assuming I still need something in the walkway between the outside cabs and the island?

Not sure what's going over that small table. Have to figure out once the kitchen is in if it is definitely staying. I do like this though.

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

Hi malhgold,

I am getting to the point where we are going to put the recessed lights in and move existing hanging lights, etc.

I have pieces of purple painters tape on the ceiling to "try out the look".

I am planning on putting a small Irish crystal chandelier over my island. My DH read somewhere to put two small recessed lights nearby that will aim at the chandelier to give it a little more sparkle. I was quite impressed he is considering doing any extra electrical work! Just thought I'd pass that idea along to you since you are looking at a sparkly piece of jewelry over the island too. Here is my chandelier:
    {{!gwi}}

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bump

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

How big is the crystal linear fixture and who makes it (lust, drool)?

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

the fixture is 4' long. I've attached a link to where I found it. This is a knock off, 1 of many I've seen. The "original" has a lot more of the crystals. I actually think I saw a version of it in one of the lighting links you posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Z Gallerie

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's another version, for about twice the price, from the Euro Style Lighting link you posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Euro Style Lighting

• rhome410
    14 years ago

It's my fault the lights are in the plan...They helped show things more clearly in the 3D renderings.

Love the fixture...Too bad the site doesn't list the overall wattage!

In my kitchen our 6" recessed cans light a 4 ft section very well, but they're in 9 ft ceilings instead of 8, which will make a difference. I have one 6" recessed can in the alcove where the fridge/freezer set is, and it's nice and bright in that whole area. (about 7 x 5ft)

This is probably where I'd start:

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

I believe the lights are spread over 36-39".

It looks like nine 40 watt max bulbs. I don't know about you, but I'd probably keep it turned down (360 watts in 3 feet is a bit bright) - so separate dimmer for the fixture. Separate dimmer for the cans.

Two recessed lights about 18" in from the edges of the island in the longer direction. I think you can use any size you'd like because you only need about a three foot cone on the counter.

So far, so good... Do you want to shift the fixture a bit towards top or bottom on the island width? Where you have it now is fine, just asking the question. I think I would position the two recessed fixtures about 6 inches towards the range from where the crystal fixture is located. Bit more light on the business side, over the prep sink?

What size cans are you thinking for the long aisle? You could go can, wall washer, wall washer, wall washer, can. The tucans (i just had to do it) about centered in the two door way (hall and formerly dining room). And the three wall washers illuminating the coffered cabinets and their contents?

Again, just as a general question - but specifically for the island. You'll need one or two outlets (depends on code) and room for one or two switches. Where will the other switches be located? Phone? Computer? Cable?

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

can hardly believe I was dead set against a fixture over the island and now i'm seriously considering buying one of these. found a version on ebay that looks pretty close to the Euro Style Lighting one. they say the bulbs are 60 watts.

what is the advantage of wall washers? is it more effect or that the light shines directly on the object?

Bmore, just to clarify...if i buy this fixture, you're suggesting that there should be recessed island lights 18" in from the edge. If the island is 9', and the fixture is 4', that means that the recessed lights would be 12" from the hanging light. I was sort of thinking more towards the outside of the island might be better.

we actually already have 3 6" recessed lights 3' in from the pantry wall. I'm thinking I might just keep those and add 1 more outside of the DR opening.

we currently have an island(although only 6') that is wired for 2 outlets. I'm assuming we're somehow going to use that power for the new island.

haven't yet figured out exact location for switches. DH is going to have to work on that when he opens up the DR wall. Phone is in the fireplace room. No computer in the kitchen. We currently have an undercounter TV in location where frig is going. might move tv to fireplace room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay Chandelier

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

That sorta is what I'm saying. Naked bulb fixtures need to be kept pretty dim - otherwise you go blind from the stuff cast through the crystal facets. I guess I'm not thinking on it being a "working" light - closer to decorative.

I don't know what size cans you're thinking about, but its not likely you'll notice them much - unless you're getting an elaborate trim? I'd be doing 3" ones. All anyone will see is the crystal lights. I would place them where they'll do the most good (over the island). The other thing for me about positioning is that the entire bar isn't lighted - it looks like the center 36-39" has the lights.

Only two reasons to do wall washers - light the cabinet and light the contents of the cabinets from top to bottom. If you think the existing cans will be fine, then do that. Perhaps you can ask rhome to position them on your 3d in their actual locations and see.

Your new island will need electrical outlets IN THE ISLAND and possibly the switches for these lights. They take up room! If you are required to have outlets according to current building code, the actual rule is something like no place on the counter is more than two feet from an outlet.

You'll have the same issues on the range wall for outlets - which can, of course, be on the wall where the island ones need to be set into the island. Have you thought about where you'll place the wall outlets and the island outlets?

You could do vertical fillers and put the outlets in that way. You could do plug mold on the ends or do some regular outlets on the ends, but I think your island may require one in the middle somewhere?

Last thing I'm going to say is that the bottom of the crystal fixture will be at about 6' to 6'2".

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

Hey look! It's the fixture or a very similar one...
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/atimg/634893/2009_08_07-Spotlight09_rect540.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Apartment therapy

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks Bmore! I think it looks great over their table. and they also used globe shaped lights like I am considering over the kitchen table.

I'm actually wavering on whether or not to do the crystal chandelier. Because I'm planning on marble on the island top, I'm worried that the chandelier is going to "dress up" the space too much and make it look more formal than I want. I think if I was going with a more "industrial" type top it might fit better with my vision. Maybe I can use it in my DR. I need a new fixture in there.

• mindstorm
    14 years ago

Hey mahlgold! That kitchen plan looks great! Congratulations on having formulated one. I love it.

B'more, that linear crystal chandelier is bling^N - the crystals are Swarovski lead crystals ;-) .

Mahlgold, if you're wavering on the swarovski fixture, I'll suggest this for your island:

gorgeous pendant for a gorgeous space. ;-) (I covet this fixture)

• malhgold
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'll see if I can fit it into the budget!!! LOL!!! I'm thinking this is fixture might fit better $$$ wise.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ikea

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

Too funny Mindstorm! How much was mine?

This in link below or a half of this?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}