Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dneubecker

match BS to CT or cabs???

mdln
9 years ago

So the Shiloh Polar White cabs were not quite as white as I would have liked next to the carrara marble CT. Now trying to decide which tile to use for BS. Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated. Thank you!

This post was edited by mdln on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 19:04

Comments (16)

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

Cabinets.

On my screen, I read your counters as grey. So neither of your samples match the counter. So at least if you match the cabinets, you're matching something. And the colour still works with the counter.

• Disaster28
    9 years ago

Im no pro.....but to me matching the bs to the cabs just looks better. On the second picture the elements look like they are fighting with each other (if that makes sense) whereas in the first picture they all calmly get along:)

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

I vote for the creamy colored tile in the first pic - carries the color of the cabinets nicely.

• mdln
    Original Author
    9 years ago

THANKS amberm, disaster, swent! That is what I was thinking, it is so reassuring to get opinions that agree with me. :-).

Ambern - you are right, the CT does look grey in the pic. Probably because I was standing in front of the only light in the kitchen. In real life the bright white tiles pick up bright white in the CT.

Again, thank you!

• RealHousewifeofNJ
    9 years ago

I like the first option much better as well!

• juliet11
    9 years ago

I also like the cream tile better than the white.

But having the cabinets and backsplash both be cream is a lot of the same color. Do you want the cabinets and backsplash to blend together as one element, or to be more distinct from each other? Have you tried a very light grey tile? What does your floor look like?

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

If it were me, I'd want a hint of color in the BS... but I wouldn't want a white kitchen, so I'm not the right person to ask.

Of your samples, within the limits of monitor/lighting, I liked the first one better.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

It's a tiny kitchen so you don't have to worry about too much of the same color--that's actually a benefit. On my monitor the white in the counter looks very pale gray, so I'd either use a soft gray or the cream that matches the cabinets. The window trim would probably be nicer with the gray. If you go gray, you could use white pottery on the counter to give you your glazed white ceramic fix.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Another vote for the creamy subways.

• KS_Chicago
    9 years ago

I would go with grey or light bluish. Maybe some crackle glass tile...

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Neither. :) Something with a different white all together. Maybe with some iridescence or crackle. Texture. Like Daltile's Fabrique. Or Oldbat2b's pattern, in white on white. A different shape, like Bee's arabesque. IF you want an all white kitchen.

But, don't discount the power of color to bring your kitchen alive!

• SparklingWater
    9 years ago

What color are your floors? If you are up for a slight pop of color with your carera (and gray has no polor opposite) and your floors are stained wood, I totaly could see LWO first photo. I'm thinking of doing mine in a subtle green. I have white cabs with carera countertops also, with rosewood floor stain.

LWO, do you know who manufacturers the tile in your first photo?Third one down has a divine shape and color too.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Mdln, your countertop is gorgeous. Of your two choices, I like the cream. A soft gray would be pretty. Or you could get more adventurous as in LWO's pictures. I did a safe soft gray crackle & I do love it but.....there have been a few reveals recently that have been "Wow, that backsplash makes the whole kitchen."

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I love the cream tile! The Polar White is beautiful and the counters are gorgeous. So you used a 6,000K temperature bulb? I am going to change my halogen bulbs to the Cree's new 3,000K 47 degree radius LED. I just brought three home and I am comparing it to the whiter 3,000K TCP which I love the color better but I like the way it is so easy to ready under the light. I did not a yellow light. The whiter lights look better on my tile. I had day light fluorescents in my kitchen before I got the halogen recessed lights. I can't wait to see more of your beautiful kitchen since in a few months, I will be ready to complete mine.

• nepool
    9 years ago

You don't think you will tire of all the white? I'm with live wire, get a bit of color. How about a border with some color?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

This is a tiny galley kitchen so very little tile will be visible. IIRC, what you see on the left of the window is also on the right. The opposite wall has the fridge and the stove, with 15" wall cabs. So she could go more colorful if it worked with the marble, but a white tile won't really be adding that much more white. One thing I might consider with the white tile would be a simple tone-on-tone mural under the hood with a different size or shape inset, like Ickaisgrl's. (I know I spelled that wrong, but she picked a hard name to remember!) This would be very pretty in a light gray.