Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smc0904

Help Design my kitchen

SMC0904
9 years ago

We are building a new home and our plans are close to being finalized. I am having a difficult time coming up with the best layout for my kitchen though. I'll include a couple of pictures of the kitchen space. Any one interested in coming up with some options? I would like plenty of storage, windows and it has to have good flow. We will have a 36" gas range, counter depth refrigerator, oven, dishwasher and microwave.The pantry/laundry/full bath near the garage can be changed if it allows for a better kitchen flow. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• SMC0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Picture with dimensions.

• brightm
    9 years ago

You mention range, oven, and microwave. Are these all going to be separate? Meaning a range (which includes oven) and additional wall oven and an additional microwave? Are you thinking of the micro being built in? Any thoughts on combining it with the second oven? Or having the second oven in a stack with a built in one?

What's your cooking/family style? That generally helps people help more. One cook kitchen? Multiple? Kids?

You mention range, so I'm thinking you would plan that on a wall. Your set up seems to call for an island (in my mind, I am absolutely no expert). Do you have ideas on what you do and don't want on the island? You have the banquette area and a dining room, so are you thinking no seating at an island? A stool or two for perching?

Sorry I'm no help at all. :)

It looks like a great space to work with. It reminds me VERY much of someone who just planned their kitchen here. Maybe someone can point you to her thread. The banquet and the family room entry and entry point at the other end are similar. Maybe someone else can remember who that was?

• SMC0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are thinking of doing a stove top with drawers underneath and then have a built in oven and microwave.

We are a family of four, my husband, me and two little ones ages 6 and 3. I am the main cook in the family and husband usually does clean upâ¦so at times 2 people in kitchen.

We do want an island and don't mind a sink on the island but know for sure we do not want the stove top on it. We may do about 3 stools on the island as a hangout. THen have the built in banquet and formal dining roomâ¦.yes i know 3 eating areas but that's what works for us.

THanks for taking the time to chime in with some questions...

• Buehl
    9 years ago

Here's an idea....

It eliminates the "butler's pantry", but it makes the kitchen more functional and gives you more room where you need it most.

This layout puts the refrigerator and dishes where I think you will need them most - near the Banquette and the island seating.

The refrigerator is situated so that people from the table and Great Room can get to it without coming into the primary work areas.

You have at least two Prep Zones - the space b/w the sink and range and the island. You could put a sink on the island, but I don't think it's necessary in this case - unless you would rather prep on the island. In that case, I would recommend a different layout (see Layout #2 later)

Zone Map:

• Buehl
    9 years ago

As promised, Layout #2:

Zone map:

• SMC0904
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Buehl....thanks for taking the time to come up with these two layouts. I can see how each of them function very well. I do prefer layout 1 as it allows for a nice big window but would the placement of the refrigerator be too far away from the stove? I would prefer to have to take a few extra steps to get to fridge from stove than to lose the window though. Thanks again...

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Buehl is the best!

Food doesn't usually go directly from fridge to stove - there's some prep step in between, whether it's unwrapping, washing, or chopping. Most folks prep between sink and stove, as Buehl conveniently shows with zone diagrams.