Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akl_vdb

Oh, husbands, and brooms!

akl_vdb
9 years ago

So we're just getting new hardwoods in the kitchen, and throughout the house. Our old Oskar broom has been through the ringer, it's a mess.

So I say, I think we should get a new broom.

My DH, being funny, says, "Yes, a nice one, like a horse hair one or something!" (he has no idea these exist, I do of course, because of that thread about brooms!)

Amazing what this forum can teach you about things you may need to know one day!

So now off to read the broom thread!

This post was edited by aklvdb on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 12:31

Comments (28)

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Are you sure he isn't secretly reading GW at night? :)

But that is funny. Little does he know.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

HA!! "But honey, you told me to get a horsehair broom..."

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Get a horse hair broom, and he'll end up wanting to use to finish concrete in the backyard. Ask me how I know :o

• romy718
    9 years ago

I'm in the middle of applying sealer to the grout on my laundry room floor. I thoroughly cleaned the grout prior but am using my small handheld horsehair broom on each grout line to remove any tiny particles. Love my horsehair big & little broom (the kind that goes with a dust pan).

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

Ah, but don't underestimate the baser sex. Horsehair bench brushes have been used forever by woodworkers in their shops.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

A Swiffer would work better and be less work...

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

My mother-in-law, rest her soul, used to ride a horsehair...

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I read this thread but then realized I don't even own a broom for inside! I just vacuum with a central vac. I do own a swiffer but rarely use it.

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know for sure my DH does not read these boards, he'd lose it for sure! Dealing with the limited of amount of info I know is enough for him :)

I'm not a fan of swiffers/disposable mops. I have a Norwex dry and wet mop, but need something for the crumbs.

Errant, I have no idea what finishing concrete is? I'm sure you have a story there though!

Thanks for the positives on the broom, now to locate one. Perhaps I'll get lucky at my local HomeSense (Home Goods to you in the States) store like I read in a pp.

• vdinli
    9 years ago

While we are on the subject of brooms, does anyone know of a good one with a telescoping handle? Doesn't have to be fancy horsehair-just one that works well. I lost the space next to my fridge and now only have a 54" high space to store the broom in.

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

Vinudev - I use telescoping poles a lot and thought maybe they made brooms for them. In looking, I came across this expandable broom. It or something like it might work for you:

Here is a link that might be useful: Expandable broom

• vdinli
    9 years ago

Thanks, rmtdoug. That looks good. The key seems to be look for RV sized items for my small kitchen!

• azmom
    9 years ago

I read about a German made Horse Hair Broom on this site (cannot recall the internet store's name), but thought the price of the recommended broom was too high.

I then followed a suggestion from this site to the Home Goods Store for another recommended Horse hair broom. Yet was not impressed by the quality. The broom drooped too many bristles when I tried it in the store.

Home Depot carries a horse broom, I think it is for workshop/bench, not suitable for indoor.

I finally found a fun looking Boar Broom from Amazon. See the link below.

The broom is awesome. The two ends pick up dust from under the cabinets. The sweep is sturdy but gentle. It works better than any brooms we have ever had. It dropped a few bristles when washing off dust from it, but is very tolerable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fun looking Boar Hair Broom

This post was edited by azmom on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 23:24

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

What's a broom?

[snicker]

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Isn't that a fun broom azmom! Looks like a man with an evil mustasche!

CEFreeman, hee hee. I figure with a new floor, I should take good care of it :)

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Quite a few males have the sweeping gene. My DH doesn't but a few of my friends DHs have it.
    Encourage the behavior.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

All my DH knows is that I really wanted a pull-out broom closet in the new kitchen. He understands, that because I am happy with the new kitchen and he know longer sees the broom propped in the corner, that there must be a pull-out broom closet somewhere in the kitchen.

As far as a horsehair broom is concerned - he wouldn't have a clue.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I have this fold up broom for my RV, it works great and the way it is off set let's it get under cabinets and edges. Stores completely flat.

Here is a link that might be useful: broom

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

a broom is the weapon you wave at someone as you chase them out of a room

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

a2gemini, maybe if I put some NFL stickers on it he'll be all over sweeping. I know my 4 year old loves to sweep, but it's a quite disastrous endeavour (esp with new cabs). I leave him to the dustpan and in rooms he can't do much damage.

blfenton, sounds like my DH. At least he knows it's in the kitchen. My DH can't find a face cloth in a linen closet.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I banned all brooms from my house when I discovered the Swiffer. I cannot tell you how much I love this thing. I bought a bunch of cheap microfiber cloths from Amazon and wash and reuse them to avoid the continued cost of the Swiffer brand cloths. I Swiffer most of the the main floor of our house (LR, DR, K, bath) every single day and it is absolutely awesome for dog hair, which is the majority of our "dirty floor" issues. As long as I have a dog(s), which will probably be as long as I am breathing, I will never go back to a broom and dust pan.

ETA: I do keep a small whisk broom and pan under the kitchen sink for broken glass clean up. I am notorious for breaking things and the Swiffer is not good for cleaning up glass.

This post was edited by dcward89 on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 8:37

• azmom
    9 years ago

ak,

The ends do look like mustache. They pick up dusts, hairs from the upper side of under cabinets, refrigerator...etc. areas (hope it makes sense). No more reaching over on keens when clean these areas.

We have brooms made of plastic/manmade or plants bristles, they are not as effective and some drop more than what they pick up. This broom picks up everything, it makes me realize how dirty our floor is even when it looks very clean.

I want to hold a broom and sweep right away. To me, there are too many steps before sweeping when using a Swiffer. It covers smaller area so requires more sweeps. Of course this is a personal preference.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

" I bought a bunch of cheap microfiber cloths from Amazon and wash and reuse them to avoid the continued cost of the Swiffer brand cloths."

Tell me more! I have two big, hairy dogs and my Swiffer cloths never would pick up the hair, just pushed it around unless I Swiffered deliberately into a pile I would still have to sweep or vacuum up afterward.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

greenhaven...here is what I use. I think I have washed them and reused them at least 100 times already and they still work like a charm. I have 2 long-haired doxies...they don't shed as bad as say german sheperds but there would definitely be dog hair tumbleweeds after a few days if I didn't Swiffer every day. Sometimes I will even just turn it over and use the same cloth twice before washing it

http://www.amazon.com/Zwipes-Microfiber-Cleaning-Cloths-24-Pack/dp/B00ANZHG7C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408024078&sr=8-1&keywords=microfiber+cloth

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Woo hoo! Thanks! Placed my order!

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I'm not sure what you ordered to use on your swiffer. I cleaned for a living and the people had mostly tile floors. I found a larger than normal swiffer and a white cloth towel cover with elastic all around to hold it on the end of the swiffer. I always vacuumed the floors first. This picked up what the vacuum missed before I mopped.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Hmmm.

I have 5 cats that should be bald, the way they shed. My short-haired ones shed the most.

Some day I'm going to have to face cleaning the really beautiful hard wood floors I have. I've had cardboard down on them for ages because of one reno/build/stripping/ moving thing or another. I do sweep in spots, but it's with the brushy end of my fabulous DeWalt portable wet/dry vac. I know someone will faint when I admit that although this is the single, almost complete thing my ex-POC did, I've never, ever washed them. I cannot imagine what they'd look like...

desertsteph, I burst out laughing at your "a broom is something you wave at someone as you chase them out of the room." I knew there had to be a way to get rid of pesky relatives. LOL

• akl_vdb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I found a horsehair German broom at Home Sense today, but the hair was all falling out! I like the moustache one. I'll have to check one out like that.

And CEFreeman, why wash the floors? As long as the dust, fur and crumbs get vacuumed up, I'm all for just spot cleaning!