Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curlyque_gw

Cream Cabinets with Knotty Pine Ceilings

Curlyque
12 years ago

I am driving myself crazy looking for kitchen cabinets that are a warm cream color. I am opening up the kitchen to the dining/living room area, which has a knotty pine vaulted ceiling. I also want to put in hardwood floors throughout all three areas (with wood on the ceiling and wood on the floors, I'm thinking I need painted cabinets to break up all this wood!)

I thought I found the perfect cream in Starmarks Ivory Cream but when I looked at the cabinet door out from the stores yellow lighting it looked grey:( There are so many whites/creams out there and I have been looking for so long they are all starting to look the same. I have looked at Thomasville, Starmark(their Marshmallow Cream color looks warm but I worry that it is too white?), KraftMaid(their Canvas seemed more beige), Diamond (they have a new Coconut color that looks like it might be warm to me). This is a DIY and I am trying to redo my kitchen (and three rooms of hardwood flooring) on a budget so I am limited on which cabinet makers I can use. If anyone can help me on a cabinet maker and color (and hardwood floor) that would work well with the Knotty Pine Ceilings I (and my poor husband who has given up on me ever making a descision on cabinet color) would be hugely greatful.

Comments (7)

• babushka_cat
    12 years ago

i had the same problem in that i could not find a cabinet line with a cream color i liked. my kitchen is small and due to the color issue as well as the need to fit a lot into a small space, i ended up going with a local cabinetmaker. it was not much more than what pre-made would have been and i was able to get what i wanted in terms of color and configuration. to save money you could paint them yourself and pick the color! local cabinet makers are hurting for work - something to consider...

• dianalo
    12 years ago

You can get Ikea cabs and then paint them....

• Curlyque
    Original Author
    12 years ago

babushka cat - I had assumed a local cabinetmaker would be out of my price range; but you're right, I wont know until I give them a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

dianalo - I did not know that you could get Ikea cabs unfinished. I will look into them as well. Thank you!

• DreamItCanBe
    12 years ago

Check out Mid Continent 'Antique White'. We used it, and it is creamy - slightly yellow if anything. It is a pretty dead match for Kohler 'bisque' if that helps.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: cream cabinets

• bmorepanic
    12 years ago

I'd suggest you delay the decision as long as possible and check-out the door samples and take them home after the major surfaces are complete - lights, flooring, etc...

For our kitchen, I originally fell in love with a warm cream mixed with light taupe moldings. In the actual room, chips and larger painted samples looked fine until the actual surfaces, new windows and lighting were installed. The warm cream turned flesh-toned and the light taupe picked up really unattractive darkness with green overtones.

I am currently recycling the leftovers of that paint in my office where THE EXACT PAINT appears as pale cream with a little warmth. While its good to know I'm not crazy, even an experienced painter can't quite figure it out.

• pupwhipped
    12 years ago

Here's mine with tons of knotty pine. This lake home was built in 1952 and has lots of wood...front room you can't see has a vaulted ceiling with knotty pine top to bottom. With all the wood I did not want wood in the kitchen, so I went with a cream almost yellow color with a glaze that reminds you of copper. It's called Antique Bronze by Decora Cabinets. I don't think it is available anymore, but I thought the pictures might help you.

Good Luck!

• rosie
    12 years ago

Very nice, Pupwhipped. It makes sense that a glaze echoing the color of the paneling would work so well.

Curlyque, the Ikea cabinet doors are re-finished, covering over what they come with, ideally by a professional shop that can apply a tough modern cabinet finish. I've painted my own on the walls for years, but it's just not as durable. If they came in a box, I'd definitely drop the doors off on the way home. The box edges that show between the closed doors would get finished with a fairly close-matching veneer-type tape that I'd buy and glue on myself.