Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinkersouthernbelle

Help me build my DREAM White Kitchen

Hi, I've recently found these great forums. Please offer your insight & experience! I would like to post a photo I have cut out of traditional home of my "dream kitchen" but can't figure out how to post photos. Also it says I can't post scanned photos that aren't mine??? Please advise on this issue.

We are building a house, just broke ground. It is a "spec" home but my builder can do some "upgrades" if available. The "dream kitchen" is a Christopher Peacock and probably costs around $200K. So OBVIOUSLY i'm in a much different price range!

I can't afford to upgrade to the inset cabinets, but they have found overlay cabinets that have almost the exact style doors.

They have found an irridescent white subway tile like shown in the "dream" and will be able to do as my backsplash. I think this is a great look!

I've chosen a chrome faucet instead of a bronze or stainless to get the shinier look. It has a nice shape, more old fashioned looking. Do you think chrome is ok?

Countertops. Granite is what is the "spec" but I haven't seen one that isn't too busy or light enough to get the look I want. The builder is quoting a Okite Zodiak Blanco Carrara that I think looks like a marble. Has anyone seen this installed or has it??? I'm very excited about the possibility of that product....its a quartz. I will NOT do marble....so don't suggest it please.

I'm also considering a gray quartz or a black quartz. What do you think?

I'm adding some "feet" to some of the cabinet bottoms to create a furniture look. The island will be one level with the sink on one side, 4 counter stools on the other side, Beadboard will wrap around the island on the stool sides. This opens into my family room. Basically my kitchen is in the "heart" of the home which is open to the family room & breakfast area. Again I would post a photo of the model home if I could figure out how to add photos!

Thanks for your help!

Comments (28)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Not sure what help you need, as it sounds like you're on the right track to me. I think a chrome faucet will be fine, as I think it's more of an old fashioned look that should fit with what you're describing.

I recommend the "Sweeby Test" to ensure that the choices you're making regarding countertop, etc. really fit with your vision, and nothing drags you off track of your dream.

I am providing a link to a page that accesses the Sweeby Test and has other info that may help you.

Best wishes!

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen design page with the Sweeby Test

• blondelle
    15 years ago

In the showcase Christopher Peacock kitchen in NY recently he used Misty Carrara Caesarstone. I don't think he uses it though in his regular kitchens. It's very pretty, but it is light gray against the white cabinets. The Okite doesn't look as much like marble as the Caesarstone. It looks like someone finely splattered blue gray paint on it. It's a more modern look for what you want. Corian, if you like the stuff, also has a white marble rendition, as does a solid surface material called Mystera or something like that.

I don't think I've ever seen a CP kitchen with iridescent subway tile. Not his look at all.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I actually wondered about the irridescent tile, too, but thought it was an individual addition to the dream, or maybe you'd seen a kitchen I hadn't. I haven't seen gray counters in these types of kitchens, either, but I love the idea.

• softfurn
    15 years ago

Yes, I do remember seeing a CP kitchen with the irridescent tile in Traditional Home.Wasn't it a mini brick? Liked it ALOT. I'm not certain, but was this a waterfront house in Florida?

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Here is a kitchen done by Susan Serra in which they used Bianco Carrara Okite on the island. I think it looks beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: More pics of the kitchen here

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Ahhh... erika... it was you who posted those beautiful pictures with an Okite counter. I knew I had seen it and couldn't remember where. I'm bookmarking it this time. Thanks for posting them again.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

The text in the slideshow says "michelangelo marble" on the island. Is that the same thing?

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Wow, you're right. I had read this page of the magazine showing the Okite. It looked to me like it was showing the different materials used in this kitchen.

Thanks so much for your keen eyes and the correction.

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

If you go to Traditional Home's website, you can try searching for the article name where the kitchen appeared - you might find it. Then you can post a link to the article.

So da law says the images in the magazine belong to the magazine. Just because you bought a copy doesn't give you the right to scan and republish the photos. It would be one thing to use them as examples to a KD or your builder, but its completely different to post them on the internet where they are available to millions of viewers without permission. Do what you will with the info.

Look for this topic:
    "Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens! [Help keep on Page 1!]"
    on the front page of the forum, it'll explain how to post photos.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

um, i didnt scan the magazine. I got that pic from Susan Serra's blog ... Thanks for your concern for my legal safety, but I'm not worried about it.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Bmore, I presume, was advising the OP about magazine scanning for posting pictures, which she asked about in her original question. :-)

• erikanh
    15 years ago

oops, I'm sorry I misunderstood. My apologies, bmore.

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

Ok, do you all really think that was Okite in that kitchen? I think they were just giving it as a suggestion for a counter top that looks like marble. I think they probably used Michangelo marble. Let me know. I get Traditional Home. I will try to look up this kitchen again. I loved it.

Thanks.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

No, I think it was marble--they often do those "get the look for less" kinds of sidebars and I think the okite was a just a suggestion--too bad, 'cause I'd love to see a photo of a big chunk of it installed.

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

Yes, and I just read all the posts above and realize that everyone already figured this out. I, too, would like to see a picture. They do have it at a kitchen store here. It is ok. It is with white cabinets, but more modern than I like. I don't think it is a great sub for marble based on that one kitchen display.

• tinkersouthernbelle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I went to a vendor today that offers Okite & Ceasarstone. So I got to look at a larger sample of the Bianco Carrara and the Mystic Carrara side by side. Unfortunately I wasn't crazy about either. The Okite was almost too busy. I liked that it was a crisper white, but the "veining" was too prounounced and occured too often? I thought the pieces in the brown tones were much nicer & muted if you are in the brown tone....I'm not. The Ceasarstone Mystic was definately more "muted", even gray, I had hoped for it to be white. It really doesn't have any veining like marble just "smudges". That's the best description I can come up with....sorry. I still wish I could see both of these installed....it would help tremendously!

The salesman wants me to go look at some white granites. He think I might find something I'll be happier with. I just havent' seen a granite yet that isn't too busy or have too much movement. I researching now and hope to look at granite slabs next week. Any suggestions?

The photo below is Ceasorstone on top, then the Okite below. I've also add my photobucket link with photos of my inspiration pics that I've been sharing with my designer.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Photobucket with images of my inspiration rooms

• kawfeeaddict
    15 years ago

Hi Tinker, I feel your pain for I too wanted marble in my all white kitchen. Like your salesman suggested, I ended up using a "white" granite and am pleased to report that people ask if it's marble :) My back splash is "white" subway tile with a crackle finish which pulls things together perfectly. The cabinets are Wood-Mode's Regency in antique white. The granite has white, beige and grey which integrates the cabinets, hardwood floor and stainless trim on some of the appliances.

Where you want iridescent tile for the back splash, it's going to make a nice statement and you may be able to get away with the Ceasarstone which is softer.

Keep us posted!!!

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting those pics, Tinker. I finally got to see some of the Okite Cararra too, and I agree that it has too much veining. Looks like I'll be opting for well-sealed honed marble.

Here was one long thread on white granites. Lots of suggestions and some pix. HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: White granite thread

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Well, reading your post my first thought was: "you and I could be twins!" and then I looked at your inspiration picture and realized that you and I would be fraternal twins because you are identical twins with redroze.

You have GOT to check out her kitchen (it's not yet finished, so just do a search for "redroze") -- she has those pendant lights, the beautiful white cabinetry, different (yet beautiful) backsplash tiles ... and hers was the same inspiration photo. (for the record, this is my kitchen)

Last year when I was searching for our countertop I looked at the Okite Bianco Carrara and from the small sample I got the same feeling as you. I would strongly, strongly urge you to try and see slabs of both the above. In slab form (meaning not just a small sample) you could be pleasantly surprised. And don't forget that the angle at which you will be viewing your countertops is NOT the same as how you are viewing the samples. (What I mean is, your countertops will be horizontal, most likely with stuff on top [small appliances].) It's like seeing a room painted Color X isn't the same as seeing that teeny paint chip of Color X.

Your inspiration picture makes me think the Mystic might not be a bad match .... I cannot now recall who it is, but someone here with a red island and white perimeter used one of the synthetic marbles and it wasn't bad.

• tinkersouthernbelle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HI everyone,

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to bug all of you to help with my bathrooms too! The builder finished foundation today so onto framing!!! I'll be making final selections over the next 2-4 weeks!!

kawfeeaddict: Do you know the name of the white granite you used? Can you share a photo? Look at my photobucket inspiration pic and you can see the irridescent tile backsplash...its different but really cool!

erikanh, thanks for the thread link. I've look at it several times but some of the pics don't show anymore. I research a bunch of the granites online today and i'm interested in seeing some slabs in person

rmkitchen. I'm going to search for my twin! I'm excited if I can find her b/c I'm needing some source info from that inspiration picture and hoping she might have it!! And YOUR kitchen....well i've printed out MULTIPLE photos from your kitchen last week. I LOOOOOOVE it! I even told my designer in the last meeting how I wanted to "frame" and paint a chalkboard area on the side of my fridge. Then I found your picture and I emailed it to my designer! I would love to do the inset cabinets like yours.....so cool. Also love the raised DW. Oh, the marble countertops are just so beautiful....I just can't do it. But its so fun to find someone who really has the same "style".....please share any other parts of you home as I'm building this house so its all a "clean slate". My basic approach to my home is I'm a southern girl and love southern, comfortable things. I live inland but the beach colors, textures, clean, crisp, cottage feel is what I'm going to try to incorporate in my home in a classic but fresh way. Did that make any sense? Thanks for finding me and thanks for sharing your AMAZING kitchen.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Thanks very much for the pics, Tinker. Very helpful.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

My gosh -- thank you so much for all your nice words! How lovely to read. I just wanted to let you know ours are not inset cabinets -- they're full overlay. After the first quote I received for inset I just dropped it -- wasn't worth a heart attack! Plus, I needed every inch I could squeeze out for storage, and inset just ate up too much precious space ... although I love its look!

Your inspiration kitchen is gorgeous, and I feel absolutely confident you are going to find a countertop material which is right for you. Congratulations on moving onto framing! You are so lucky to get to build a house. I'm envious!

• willowdecor
    15 years ago

Tinkersouthernbelle-
    I think we have emailed back and forth off line Re: Peacock kitchens.

Search GardenWeb:
    Andromeda White granite

There is a a beautiful kitchen with white granite that might work for you. The cabinets are not what you are looking for but the granite would really work.

Also, I know you are cost constrained, so you could put in a less expensive counter material and upgrade to marble/stone in a few years. I have a friend who put in marble laminate with continuous rounded edges and after she put out her appliances and decorated it looked very nice.

Of course nothing beats real marble, but you could look at this longer term.

Best of Luck!

• justnotmartha
    15 years ago

TOO funny Tinker - I have the same kitchen pic on my fridge right now - one of my 3 inspirations. I'm in the same marble dilemma right now too - it's so hard to want something you know you shouldn't have . . . .

• tinkersouthernbelle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

justnotmartha, do you have the supplier information from the back pages of that magazine? There are a couple of elements that I would love to have more info on. But I tore out the pic and didn't get the supplier info out of the back.
    Thanks!

• justnotmartha
    15 years ago

Check your email Tinker! :-) Hope it's what you needed.

• chaimama
    15 years ago

I also have the same inspiration kitchen- if I could just get through this layout phase I could start the fun stuff. Any luck on where the iridescent back splash tile came from? Is it glass? Let me know if you find any great white granite, I keep getting back to marble no matter how hard I try to get away from it.