Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breadandsuch

Backsplash Grout Help please

breadandsuch
12 years ago

I am so close to the end....just a few more decisions.

This is my first attempt at posting pics, so please bear with me. I have cream cabinets with Delicatus granite. I chose cream subway tile, 2x6. I had always planned to grout it in a cream to give it a monochromatic look, but DH is thinking that the darker grout may look good. These are hand made tiles, so I feel that the irregularities will show up more with the dark grout.

I think that the pictures are a bit dark, but hopefully you can get an idea.

Comments (8)

• sayde
    12 years ago

Your tiles look a lot like mine. I used the 2x6 Walker Zanger Gramercy Park in bone china, which are really ivory in color. I used the grout color "Summer Wheat." I think it is a TEC Grout color. It is a mid-dark color, looks scarily dark on the tester stick but dries to a good mid-color. I was going for the 1920's service kitchen look, and it works in my vintage kind of kitchen. If you want to see how these same tiles look with a matching lighter grout search for Mamadadapaige's kitchen -- back in 2008. Same tile but a much more refined look with the lighter grout.

I can't seem to post photos but if you search the GW KF for gumwood kitchen sneak peak you'll get a link to my photobucket pictures.

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

also search sabjimata's glorious kitchen. She did a white subway with darker grout. It looks outstanding in her space.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Since your bs is in shadow, I'd go with a medium to light tone, knowing it will read darker in your lighting.

• alwaysfixin
    12 years ago

We have Alaska White granite, which is similar to your Delicatus granite. We will be doing the backsplash in cream subway tile, though not handmade like yours. The grout color will match a taupey-gray shade that is one of the colors in our granite. We just didn't like the grout that would make a more monochromatic statement, i.e. a paler grout closer to the color of the tile. The bit of contrast looks better to us, though I cannot articulate why. BTW, we've had the kitchen finished for almost a year, but still haven't gotten around to installing the backsplash! Oh well, it helped solidify our choices to wait and live with the kitchen for a while.

I also wanted to say that your subway tile is beautiful. Can you tell us what is the brand and color?

• breadandsuch
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I tried a few samples and am waiting for them to dry. I am so afraid to go darker, but am having trouble finding a match. The tile is Walker Zanger 6th avenue Canvas Gloss. I love how it turned out....I just don't want to mess up the grout.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Just want to add that the irregularities in your handmade tile are to be applauded. It adds so much character. I wish our machine made ones had variations to them.

• enduring
    12 years ago

I would think the irregularities would already be noticeable, as you look at it now without the grout. It looks great with a darker line in your photo.

Interesting, today I just switched out my standard white grout to a "neutral" grout that looks darker, like the color of darkened concrete. I didn't want the tiles to get lost. I wanted more definition in my tannish/grayish small marble 1.5"x3" tiles that I am painstakinly putting up in a herringbone pattern with a bazillion cuts around everything! It's taking me about 2 hours/sqft, I think I'm slow. I think the dark lines will reflect the other lines in my kitchen such as the dark lines in my inset cupboards and my dark counters. I'm nervous too about the color. I will sample the grout like you're doing before I put it up.

But, enough about me :) Keep us posted on what you decide. It looks beautifully tiled.

• breadandsuch
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I really think that I want to go with a lighter grout. It is what iI loved from the beginning. It has been difficult to find a cream grout...HD, L, and another tile store only carry a few shades. My question is can I go whiter for the grout. I got Alaskan Ice, which is a shade darker than white, but not as yellow as the sample below it. I have white in my granite, and as Dianalo said, i have alot of shadowing to deal with.

DH likes Antique White which is a little bit darker than the tile.