Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Custom painted tiles?

Posted by Maine_Mare (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 12:22

I've been going round and round with what to use for my backsplash behind my stove. Initially I was thinking pressed tin but now feel it will stand out too much and not complement the rest of the kitchen. While going through a magazine I found a British company that does hand painted tiles per request. I started thinking about doing most tiles in the same color as my wall with several birds inherent to Maine interspersed. While the British company is an option, it would probably be easier to work with someone on this side of the pond. Has anyone done this? Does anyone know of a good company to work with?

Here is an example of the British company tiles:

Here is a link that might be useful: British tile company

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Custom painted tiles?

Company per se, no, but check Etsy. Lots of custom art tile there, including some birds. I love the idea, by the way. Hope you fall totally in love with some artist's work.

o

You could always install an interchangeable pallet system. Pop out the panel and pop in another one. You can get blank pallets and make a custom one with whatever tile you like. They have premade ones as well.

DW would have loved to have one of these, she'd have a palette for every holiday. However, we didn't really have a place in our new layout for one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Palette

o

Maybe these people ?

Here is a link that might be useful: Maine custom tiles

o

Yes, I am with pheasant farmers let's try to find you a Maine artist.
How about http://www.gooserockstile.com/
or http://www.etsy.com/shop/SpugnardiDesign
I love these nautical chart tiles http://www.tilefromaway.com/Nautical_Chart_Murals_2.php

o

AMAZING!!! I love the Maine artist idea and both Goose Rocks and Maine Custom Tiles look like they are strong contenders.

Here is the space, I will just place the tile behind the stove only. You'll see it is very traditional and more of a country kitchen than many swankier new kitchens popular in houses these days. My house is an 1810 cape in a rural town. We've been working on this kitchen for a year and really hope to get it done once the weather forces us to stop painting the outside and move back inside to pick up the kitchen completion again.

o

OK here are more Maine artists for you to check out. The one from Blue Hill has the most beautiful bird tile as the icon for her shops logo. She doesnt have any birds for sale now. Of course her tiles are carved, not painted which is not what you said. I couldnt resist.
Blue Hill http://www.etsy.com/people/bunnyboodesigns?ref=owner_profile_leftnav
Boothbay: http://www.etsy.com/listing/151296670/frogs-backsplash?ref=shop_home_active

o

I'm working with a tile artist next state over right now on some handpainted tiles for behind my stove. I think it'll be fun to have something unique-ish. That etsy link has some amazing tile. Love the green crab on her page!

LOVE your kitchen. You nailed that cabinet color. So beautiful!

If you decide on tiles, please post some pics of it, will you?

o

Thank you for both artists!

deedles, I've been meaning to do a reveal when the kitchen is entirely finished (you can't even imagine how bad the kitchen was...barely touched from the 40's and just about ready to burn down from bad electrical wiring). It's just taking so much longer than we thought! I think I'll need to take a weeks vacation from work to get the remainder of the small projects done. But I will definitely post tiles photos once I get them finalized.

o

(you can't even imagine how bad the kitchen was... It's just taking so much longer than we thought!)

Ya. I can imagine and can deeply relate to both of those statements... have you ever seen the movie "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?"....

:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here