Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mimi001_gw

Steam combi vs. GE Advantium

mimi001
10 years ago

We're in the appliance decision phase of kitchen renovation. We have narrowed our choices down to GE Profile or Kenmore Elite SS but would like to pair with a Wolf or Thermador combi steam oven. All appliances except the induction cooktop will be placed on one wall with the frig and wall ovens flanking each end. Initially planned to pair a single wall oven with the GE Advantium or the Elite micro/convection oven but love the steam/convection cooking capabilities. I'm concerned the differences in SS finish and handles will look strange but am trying to avoid oven placement beneath cooktop. Aside from the reported benefits of cooking with steam (moist, etc.); how does it compare to the speed of the Advantium or the Elite micro/convection? If you were to choose, which for you?

Comments (3)

• attofarad
    10 years ago

The steam ovens don't cook faster like the Advantium or other speed ovens. Maybe somewhat, since steam transfers heat better than air, but not as much faster as microwave+convection dry heat.

I would almost certainly choose the combi over a speed if I couldn't have both. If you don't also have room for a built-in microwave, and are not a big user of such, consider a very small counter top one, either on a counter, in a upper cabinet, on a pantry shelf, etc. I stacked a combi over a drawer microwave, with a cabinet drawer in between. They don't match at all (Gaggenau aluminum finish behind glass for combi, stainless for drawer), but looks okay to me. I have a range, so combi is the only wall oven other than microwave.

This post was edited by attofarad on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 21:04

• jannbell
    10 years ago

I have a Wolf combi and an Advantium. The Advantium is on top, the combi is underneath, and there's a GE warming drawer under the combi, and a regular drawer on the bottom. The Wolf doesn't match the two GE's, but it doesn't bother me at all. Everything is stainless, and that's close enough.

I wouldn't want the combi as my only oven because it's small and doesn't have a broiler, but I like that it heats up quickly and doesn't heat up the kitchen like the oven in my range. If I had to choose between the combi and the Advantium, I'd choose the Advantium because I use it frequently and there's no other place in my kitchen to put a microwave.

• mimi001
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We use our micro for primarily for popcorn, reheating coffee, frozen veggies, etc. which is why we are seriously considering steam combi as we cook frequently bake/broil seafood. Have considered placing a counter top micro in utility room to preserve counter space. Now to choose between Thermador or Wolf. Any opinions between the 2? I like the tank placement on the Wolf but can save a few $$ on the Thermador. With the Thermador's inside,does that create an issue with heat/steam loss if refill necessary during cooking? Thanks for the earlier responses and Ina stance of additional.