Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much does it cost to repaint kitchen cabinets?

Posted by lmrinc (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 28, 10 at 12:16

We have medium brown ikea cabinets and want to paint them white. I want to use a low/no voc process (someone else doing it).

I think it's going to be cheaper to just buy new cabinet fronts and panals, about $1,500. Am I wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much does it cost to repaint kitchen cabinets?

We got a bid for $2500 to sand, prime and paint our cabinets. We're getting new, all wood locally built cabinets for $5000.

o

Cabinets are priced so competitively right now, as a kitchen designer I'm finding that frequently it doesn't even pay to replace the doors, panels and edgebanding (known as refacing) when you can buy new cabinets for only slightly more. I would hesitate to put that much money into IKEA cabinets. If they were all wood cabinets in otherwise great condition maybe painting would be a good choice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchens for Living

o

i agree with posters above. am buying local all wood custom cabs and then painting myself.

o

Paint is cheap, we did ours a few years ago. The stripping off the old finish is work, but it's well within most peoples skill level.

o

Ikea fronts and panels should be super easy to replace if you buy from Ikea or order doors from Scherr's or the like, If the cabinets are in good shape and the layout works well. You can order unpainted doors and paint them if you don't like the Ikea styles.

Also, I had an estimate for stripping and painting for about $4000 for my 10x12 kitchen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here