Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjhockeyfan325

Types of cabinet finishes

sjhockeyfan325
10 years ago

The post about semi-custom mid-priced modern cabinets led to this question for me, after looking at the Bellmont 1900 site.

I realize I don't even know what's available (last kitchen we did was 7 years ago, and that was traditional dark stained cherry veneer on mdf -- I think).

Is there basically wood, wood veneer, thermofoil, laminate? What is laquer (is that just painted something?)? Is one better than the other? I know I will avoid thermofoil if it's true that it yellows with age.

What are the choices in high-gloss?

Comments (4)

• jakuvall
    10 years ago

Woods are finished with an applied liquid- mfgs use a fully catalyzed conversion varnish- on paint there are variations between brands just what they do. Local custom tend to use pre-catalyzed or air dry. I know of one brand that has addeda proprietary oil recently- local makers may be willing to use tung oil or the like (with a disclaimer for kitchens)
    Lacquer does not mean what it once did- all of what I've worked with since things changed (environmental restrictions) is more brittle than varnish and no longer enjoys the refinishing advantage lacquer once had.

Then there are plastic/synthetics that come in sheets. Properties vary enormously. Foil has gotten to be a generic term which refers to a plastic sheet that is vacu-formed over a door. The budget brands are often just a styrene base (yellows easily)- others can be urethane, acrylic, or other blend which are all superior (and pricier)

Hi-gloss options vary. Depending on door style and desired detailing there are foils, applied flat sheets, and spray options which vary enormously. You really need to read the disclaimers on each and have a conversation with your dealer to evaluate scratch resistance, aging and such.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is melamine generally applied to the inside of the cabinets because a) they're not solid wood so you have to cover them with something and/or b) it's easier to clean than wood? (In our previous home, we had oak cabinets, followed by cherry, but the insides were melamine, which I like -- easy to sponge down). But I'm a little concerned that the outside of some of pedini's cabinetry is melamine, and I don't know how to analyze its quality).

Here's the description of the Pedini Magika line we're considering:

"front finishes include textured melamine with matching edges ( grey oak, dark brown pine, teak, white, red, cream, and dark grey) and a glossy white lacquer."

• npabby
    9 years ago

Hi,
    I am considering purchasing Pedini Magika cabinets for my kitchen (high gloss white laquer for top cabinets/ and rovere grigio laminate for the bottom cabinets) , but my vendor is giving me no transparency on how he is coming up with this quotes. I have no idea what a reasonable price per linear feet is for this type of the cabinet, and his quotes seem ridiculous. He is the only Pedini dealer in my area, so I cannot really comparison shop. Any insight?
    Nina

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nina123, we didn't end up getting the Pedini - at our realtor's suggestion, we went with a more moderately priced line (Bellmont 1900), but I can tell you that the very first estimate we got for the Pedini (before tweaking anything, but with a good idea of how we wanted the kitchen laid out - drawers, appliances, etc.), for one 13' wall and a 10' island with some cabinets on the back (I don't recall whether that included paneling for the fridge and dishwasher, or the cabinets on the back of the island), the estimate was $26,000. I imagine it would have ended up being more once we got into some of the details. We ended up paying a little under $15,000 for the fully-baked plan from Bellmont 1900, including paneled refrigerator and dishwasher, and all kinds of trim.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA