Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hab14

Granite and Butcherblock Island?

hab14
12 years ago

Has anyone here done a granite and butcherblock island? I seen some beautiful pictures of marble and butcherblock, but I'm not really coming up with anything for granite. Is there a reason not to do this? I don't have pictures on this computer, but my granite is called hurricane. The granite is very gold/brown, so there wouldn't be a lot of contrast. Would this look terrible? Does anyone have any pictures you could share? Thank you!

Comments (11)

• petra66_gw
    12 years ago

I did granite combined with a butcherblock worktop. There is more contrast between the two than with your granite, mine is a speckled gray-white-black granite called Blanco Perla, also known as Luna Pearl or Bianco Sardo. I love the combination of the cool-toned granite with the warm wood.

If you'd like to see more of my kitchen, the link to my post of the reveal has been added. HTH, Petra

Here is a link that might be useful: White kitchen in Southern Spain

• hab14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Petra-you so much for the picture. I've seen your kitchen before and you did a great job with updating but also keeping with the integrity of the house.

Does anyone else have any thoughts/pictures on an island countertop with hurricane granite and butcherblock in a configuration similar to alabamamommy (and many others)?

Here is a link that might be useful: Alabamamommy Pictures

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I did it on my peninsula. My peninsula is 5' long out from the wall and not quite 3 1/2' wide. The counter is giallo ornamentale and the 16" overhang is a very dark-stained maple wood top. They abut one another with the wood top slightly higher than the granite.
    No pics as I am techno-challenged but I really like the look. My cabinets are creamy white. I added the dark wooden top because I really like the look of white cabinets with a dark island but didn't have room for an island.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Do you mean granite and butcherblock on the same island?
    Or maybe you mean perimeter counters different than
    the island like Petra's beautiful spanish dream kitchen.

Here are a few ideas. Granite and wood (not all are
    butcher-block)
    Hope they help.
    ~boxerpups

• hab14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Blfenton-thank you for your comment, your counter top sounds very different!

Boxerpups- I was hoping you would reply as you always have great photos! I was indeed referring to granite and wood on the island, so your first few pictures are good inspiration!

• Capegirl05
    12 years ago

I am doing granite on the perimeter in Santa Cecilia (3cm)...on the lighter side with a butcher block that I am purchasing from Craft Art on the island. My island cabinetry with the wood on top will be painted a different color than the cream cabinets along the perimetr and the island will be slightly distressed and glazed...THAT is where you could achieve your contrast...are your cabinets going to be painted or stained?

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I know, I know, it's marble but it looked so pretty.
    I promised myself I would not post marble as you are
    looking for granite.
    Forgive me

• hab14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Boxerpups, I can't see the pictures on this computer, but I can't wait to get home to look! The marble islands are definitely gorgeous and if we hadn't already selected and bought our granite I would likely be trying to convince my husband to at least consider it! Again, thank you so much for the pictures and taking the time to respond!!

• sas95
    12 years ago

We did a quartz and butcherblock island. There is not much contrast between the light color of our quartz and the wood. I'm happy with it. It breaks up what would be a very large expanse of quartz.

• hab14
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sas95-I can't see your pictures at work either, but I look forward to seeing them tonight!

Joyce-thank you so much for your picture. My kitchen will certainly be a more modest/average kitchen. The reason we are actively pursuing the butcherblock is because it would prevent us from adding another slab of granite (and increasing the cost by $2000!) I want to be happy with the look of the kitchen, but I would also love to keep costs down if possible. Looking at all of these pictures it looks like there is hope!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!