Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eden_manor

No backsplash on counter height window wall?

Eden-Manor
10 years ago

I'm thinking of not running the subway backsplash on my counter-height window wall, only putting it on my stove wall and next to the fridge (which is to the left of the stove wall).

In the picture below, you can see the counter height window and the stove wall.

Would love your thoughts/opinions! Sorry about the shoddy picture, it's the latest one I have.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• ali80ca
    10 years ago

Eden, I have the same dilemma. I am trying to decide between no backsplash or backsplash all the way to the ceiling. I dont think I will decide until the cabinets are installed and I have lived with them for a bit. Your spray foam is pretty...mine is minty green!

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

What's on the other side of the window? How far out do the cabinets run?

Without knowing your layout, my first reaction is no backsplash on the window wall, but I don't think you can decide until the cabinets are in.

• Eden-Manor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This might help:

• Eden-Manor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, I should also mention, there are no cabinets on my window wall. I wanted only the window to be the focus of the room.

• Eden-Manor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bump

• kylady7
    10 years ago

I am in sorta of the same dilemma...
    We removed a window that will now just be a opening into an enclosed Glass Porch/Entry. It is in front of my sink and right now the window sill would be level to the granite counter.....If I leave it... that means the entire faucet will be seen when ever people come into the front entry...Which as far as I'm concern...isn't bad...because it is a Beautiful Faucet! The fella doing the demo and remodeling thought i should have at least a few inches above it, Unless I was going to use it as a pass thru...and I won't...but I could have it level with the counter and use it as for a place to put plants...how would that look?
    Anxious to hear what everyone thinks about this.....
    With your wall of windows I can understand Why you wouldn't want a back splash.....with me...I just don't know what to do???

This post was edited by calyle7 on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 23:01

• breezygirl
    10 years ago

Do you need to decide now? I'm not sure how it will actually LOOK once the drywall and cabs are in. Maybe you are better at visualizing than I am. Why can't you wait to make your decision? You might have an easier time deciding if you wait to see more of the pieces in place.

I had/have a similar dilemma, although my cleanup sink window does not go down to the counter as code dictates outlets by my sink. I decided to wait to make the decision until the room was more completed and I had my tile picked. Right now I'm leaning towards just a small 2" splashlette of my Carrara counters on my cleanup sink wall, which would match the peninsula across the room. I know I will do a Eurosplash on the range wall once I select tile.

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

breezygirl, your kitchen is stuning. the views from your windows is great.

• Eden-Manor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Love your kitchen Breezy. I kind of do need to decide now because Ann Sacks charges an arm and a leg to ship and I will need to order bullnose pieces.

This might be the hardest decision of building my house!

Saw this last night and I think I'm going to skip it:

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• angela12345
    10 years ago

Am I reading this correctly ... No cabinets on your window wall ? So you are asking should you install the same backsplash you are using on your other walls that have cabinets onto the wall under the windows ? I am assuming you would install it from the bottom of the window down to the floor ? Personally, I think I would just paint that wall or maybe doing some type of wainscoting or beadboard.

• jottman
    9 years ago

Honestly, our kitchen window above our sink is at counter height and I hate it. It is only about 4" from the sink and 'stuff' is contantly splasing into the sill. if the window were further back, say about a foot or more then it wouldn't be a problem. I'd first take into conisderation how far away from the "splash zone" the window will sit. When we get new windows next year we are going to raise the window about a foot in order to include a backsplash.

• jottman
    9 years ago

Honestly, our kitchen window above our sink is at counter height and I hate it. It is only about 4" from the sink and 'stuff' is contantly splasing into the sill. if the window were further back, say about a foot or more then it wouldn't be a problem. I'd first take into conisderation how far away from the "splash zone" the window will sit. When we get new windows next year we are going to raise the window about a foot in order to include a backsplash.