Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karmar00_gw

Help! How to get around this problem??

KarMar00
9 years ago

Ok, so my base cabinets have this weird overhang on the sides. It's really messing with my floor installer's mind. He can't get over the unfinished edges.
My thought is just to cut them off and then stain what sticks up past the baseboard/quarter rounds. He finds this completely unacceptable.

Comments (17)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Is that toe kick that is extending past the cabinet edge? If so, trim it flush and finish the end.

• KarMar00
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, that's the toe kick that came pre-assembled. Finish the end with stain?

• dcward89
    9 years ago

I agree with Errant...trim the toe kick so it is flush with the cabinet and then stain the end that shows.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Yep, finish the end with a matching stain.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Wait, though, is there more trim to be added once the floor goes down? If you are doong a quarter round or something like that on the end panel it will need somethimg to butt up against. Maybe that is why the toekick was left so long.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

That is curious. I'm wondering the same thing as greenhaven. It looks as though you are missing a piece? I'd call the cabinet folks.

• AquaLove
    9 years ago

It looks like it needs a side/end panel, that's why the front is also sticking out.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I agree it looks like it was made to take an applied matching end panel

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

This looks to be RTA and the front panels, including toe kick, are sticking out a bit because they are meant to be butted up next to the next cabinet so you don't have gaps. Right?

You need an end panel. Or trim (baseboard) that will go around your cabinets and cover the gap between the floor and cabinet anyway. Is there no plan for any trim piece?

• KarMar00
    Original Author
    9 years ago

O man, I feel like I'm in over my head everyday with this project... :/. The kitchen design from Kitchen Cabinet Kings, came with no real plan for this. They did send a thin piece of toe kick that will go over all the fronts once the floor is in. On the sides I was planning on a quarter round. But maybe it should be baseboard?? I was undecided if a quarter round should go underneath the front of the cabinets.
    There is this base board molding on their website: http://www.kitchencabinetkings.com/bm4-1-2-5-8a-brownstone-base-board-molding

I'm so confused- why they wouldn't include that originally?

I sent this email and the picture to KCKs:
    Basically, my question is- what is the thought of leaving this extra ~1/4 overhang on the base cabinets. How does the floor go around that?
    The reply:
    I apologize; however, I am in a meeting. I did get a message that you called for me, and I was able to come up with the below solutions as I know you are in a time crunch. Please note, we are not flooring experts, so we cannot offer expertise in this area.

1 - floor guy can cut the flooring around it. I do not have instructions how to install flooring.
    2 - floor guy can cut off that piece.

This post was edited by KarMar00 on Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 17:37

• roof35
    9 years ago

It's hard to believe a flooring installer has not had this situation before.

There's a good chance of damaging the cabinet if they attempt to cut the toe kick while the cabinet is in place. Keep in mind, even if they did cut the toe kick flush to the cabinet, it will still be end grain showing on the toe kick.

They need to simply undercut (notch) the toe kick, the combined thickness of the flooring & shoe molding. The shoe will slip into the notch.

Not that this picture is a close-up, but maybe you will get the idea.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Roof--that makes great sense! Just notch the toekick--then you won't have to stain the whole end.

• KarMar00
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Roof- I know. He has me nervous. There's a lot of "I don't cut corners like that" thrown around, but I'm afraid it's just rhetoric.

• KarMar00
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I mean the figure of speech cut corners, not just in this situation.

• KarMar00
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now he's telling me "three, maybe four" days to install my 200 sq of laminate. Uhhhhh what??

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Have you talked with your cabinet installer to find out why he left to toe kick long on that end? He would be the one who should come out to remove the toe kick, trim, and reinstall.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

The overhang at the toe kick is nothing unusual with stock cabinets. You can install a piece of finished blocking flush the with back of the overhang to the wall to avoid trimming and install the shoe mould at the floor.