Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashik_gw

Please help - dominoe effect and new problem

ashik
10 years ago

I have had two overhead side-by-side cabinets that house the vent for the micro that hangs beneath it. This is above my new powerful BlueStar cooktop set into new granite.
I think that between the granite being thicker than the old formica and the cooktop being higher profile than the old cooktop the cooking surface seems too close to the micro.
So I am now considering doing away with those overhead cabinets and getting a big vent in place of the cabinets and the micro.
That now gives the problem of where to put the micro. I have just came across something that might work from grandinroad - which is a freestanding pullout garbage bin set into a cabinet. I am thinking that maybe I can put a micro on top of that.
I am hoping that you guys can offer more suggestions on the freestanding cabinet for the pull-out garbage.
Also - what are your thoughts on this idea?

Comments (15)

• User
    10 years ago

All pullouts need to be anchored to something or they will tip over. Pulling out the pullout changes their center of gravity. You especially do not want that if you plan to put a heavy MW on top of it!

One solution might be a restaurant wall mounted stainless MW shelf. Or modify a base cabinet to accept a MW drawer. Or place it on on a shelf in a pantry area. There are lots of choices, but without a layout, it's difficult to be more specific as to which might work in your case.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Please post a picture of your current Microwave situation.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I have a similar issue and was wondering if one can use a microwave/hood to build it in somewhere else.

Here is a link that might be useful: built-in microwave

• aprilmack
    10 years ago

I put my microwave inside of the pantry cabinet.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

Here is an image of a slim line KitchenAid Hood that can be installed under cabinets and over a range. Maybe that would provide enough room without removing the cabinets.

Also, the microwave doesn't have to be installed over a cooktop. This one was installed under cabinets in a different location in the kitchen. Though the light is hooked up the fan is not hooked up to a vent.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I have my small corner style microwave in my appliance garage. When I ordered it I must have measured 4 or 5 times to make sure it would fit. It has worked beautifully and I am very happy with it.

• ashik
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beverly27 thanks for posting the pics! Beautiful backsplash btw!
    Do you know the output of your burners?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

I called my sister to supply those pics of HER kitchen. As for the backsplash, she purchased the tile at her local Lowes. Good luck.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Beverly,
    do you think that pretty much any OTR microwave can be installed under cabinets? If yes, would it go on a shelf, be attached to the cabinet, or would it be attached to the wall?

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

OTR microwaves, at least the ones that we've had, have a wall bracket to mount to but also have a couple of bolts that secure it to the cabinet that it hangs under.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

gpraceman is correct about how to do the mounting for an over the range microwave.

You can also purchase cabinets designed to receive a microwave with a built-in framing kit.

In terms of $$, it's easier to purchase a cabinet with a shelf that holds the microwave and simply slide one on the shelf and be done with it.

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

Personally, I like the microwave with trim kit option. It is a regular counter top microwave that sits on top of a shelf in the cabinet and the trim kit gives it more of a built-in look. That is what we did for our microwave.

This post was edited by gpraceman on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 13:11

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I'm just wondering if I can recycle an OTR microwave, or what are the cons?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

As long as you have a 30" wide cabinet that can work with the height & depth of the microwave, & electric hook up it should be reasonable to reinstall.

Found this pic on another post, though this is some type of special microwave that is deeper.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about microwaves

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Hadn't thought of the depth requirements, so maybe too much of a hassle.