Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janran_gw

Backsplash arrangement - help me choose. (4 versions w-pix)

janran
15 years ago

I have 3 x 6 subway tiles (tumbled marble) and 1/2 inch stone mosaics. I want to use 3 rows of mosaics as a border, and I'd rather not have the decorative border interrupted by electrical outlets. Two rows will fit beneath the outlets. I may have the electician move them, depending on the cost. Versions #1 and #2 require the outlets to be moved either up or down. Versions #3 and #4 require no change to the outlets.

Can you tell me your favorite among all 4 and also your favorite between #3 and #4, in case we don't move the outlets. Thanks!

Version #1

{{!gwi}}

Verion #2

{{!gwi}}

Version #3

{{!gwi}}

Version #4

{{!gwi}}

Comments (14)

• nymommy
    15 years ago

I like 2, and between 3 and 4 I like 3. They are all nice, though!

• imrainey
    15 years ago

It bothers my eye that you lost the diagonal in the rows on either side of the mosaic tiles. I would retain it as you did on each side of the single row in the 4th pic.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

imrainey-- I'm glad I'm not the ONLY one who picked that up!! It was driving me nuts!! LOL I was startin to feel like Rain Man!!

That said, I'd go with number 1. All the others will be lost, for the most part, behind whatever you put on the counter.

• sweetd313
    15 years ago

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices. But, my vote is for #1. If you have to choose between #3, and #4, then I would vote for #3.

• astridh
    15 years ago

Between 1 and 2, I think I like 2, but you might want to repost so that people could see the countertop and cabinets in the picture.
    Between 3 and 4, I like 3.
    I agree that you should keep the staggering going in the tile in the rows above and below the mosaic.
    Very pretty tile and mosaic!
    I still think the best solution is to pay the electrician to move the outlets and turn them 90 degrees so the shape of the outlet mirrors the shape of your tile. Of course, it is the most expensive choice. I am glad you decided not to interrupt the lines of the mosaic! If you do choose to go with two rows of mosaic, can you use more of it elsewhere, like in your backsplash behind your cooktop/range?

• igloochic
    15 years ago

The missing stager is killing me as well. I like # personally, but I'd flip that design and have the mosaic strip running towards the upper cabinets verses on the counter level (so you can see it). You do need to have 3 lines of mosaics to keep the design in tack. You want an accent to be at least 2/3's of the size of the other factors (if that makes sense....so about 2/3 or 3/4 of the size of the subways to make it flow in scale).

• mcps
    15 years ago

This is very similar to the backsplash that is being installed in my kitchen as I write this! I planned all along to have the glass tiles a little higher than the outlets - but when he started the install, I realized that that would be too high. I went one level lower and he just had to remove two of the glass tiles from the glass tile strip and I think it looks fine. HTH!

• debo_2006
    15 years ago

I picked up on the lack of staggering tiles as well. I prefer #2 as long as the staggering is corrected. I don't care for liners that run in the middle of a wall because it cuts the wall in half, and is an eye sore, IMO. This was something my decorator mentioned to me when I was looking for splash tiles. And upon looking at many other splashes done this way, she is right. I prefer it more to the top or bottom.

• janran
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I didn't even realize that I had eliminated the stagger as I was rearranging. Thanks for your input!

• sw_in_austin
    15 years ago

I'm contemplating something very similar to this and was just trying to describe to my husband the difference between doing two rows of mosaic versus three as an accent line. So this is very timely for me. Thanks.

I like 2 or 3 (I just like the way the band looks lower rather than higher.

• pcjs
    15 years ago

It really depends on what your kitchen looks like - I like #4 but I'd probably go with what Bill says given he always seems to know what he's talking about and he's one of the few experts everyone can probably agree we trust. :) But, with my opinion - I never seem to go with the crowd, and am DIY and everything works out well for me in the end - so my true opinion is all are nice and go with what you like!

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Didn't someone recently show a pic where they did the bottom for vertical, then the mosaic, then the running bond? I swear it's in my head from somewhere... but I thought it looked awesome!

• charlikin
    15 years ago

I vote for #1, or as a much-less-preferred alternative, #3 (though I understand the reasons for doing it). Agree with everyone else about staggering the tiles - I would stagger them just the same as though they were adjacent, i.e. as though there were no mosaic border.

All of that said, what is the mosaic tile you're using? It's beautiful!

• janran
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Charlikin.
    I bought them from Terra Tile (New York). They're from Spain. The box says:
    Clararosella Mas, S.L.
    Cr+ Mosaic Collection, Marble Mosaic
    email:ramon@clararosellamas.com
    A Google search brought up nothing, except a page in Spanish with the company contact info.