Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackchamois

Should I make this change (part 2) - Another option? HELP!

blackchamois
11 years ago

Help! I am off to meet my contractor and cabinet guy today and will be discussing this.

You all gave me great feedback on the raised bar/counter height dilemma.

Since my OP, I came up with another option (B) that I would be fine with. I could keep the raised bar on the long side of the "L", but eliminate it on the short side. This would give me 12" more in width to the counter height portion. Better than nothing, right?

So if you wouldn't mind, I'd love some thoughts on this:

- Option B - raised bar on one side only (below)

- Option A - counter height all the way (next post)

- Option X - Original plan to have a raised 'L'. Calling this Option X as I know I don't want this!

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Post - Should I make this change?

Comments (12)

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This was option A ...

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

I vote for all counter height in a minute. You don't need the visual concealment of kitchen litter that is often given as a reason for a raised counter.

Can you think of any reason to use a raised counter? Except it's something to shove things off of onto the granite or whatever below.
    Sandra

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Bellsmom. The only reasons would be a little visual separation between the two spaces and, like you said ... hiding 'stuff'

Here is a link that might be useful: [Visual for option B[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/cute-white-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-denver-phvw-vp~60250)

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I would make it all one height. After looking at your floor plan it looks like a great place for putting appies or using as a buffet when entertaining or giving a space for guests or family members to chop and help with dinner. If you had the raised bar the guests would be coming into the kitchen to access the area. Without the raised bar it is more easily accessed while staying out of the kitchen

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Are you going to use this peninsula for casual meals? If so, you might do a mockup. Find a board of about the right width. Use cans or something to raise the board about the right distance above your dining table. Then ''play like'' you are eating at it. Where do you put serving dishes? Condiments?

If it is planned only as a ''room divider,'' a mock up is useless, though. Except to let you think about how often you might want to slide dishes across to the other side.

Sandra

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

A. All one height.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Recently Phoggie requeested pics of peninsulas. You might want to look at her thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peninsulas

• PRO
    Tom Carter
    11 years ago

all one height...
    otherwise you will split a good sized space into two small spaces and lose the versitility.
    casp

• KBH
    11 years ago

Agree. One height. Makes space so much more useful.

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bellsmom - Thank you thank you for the great suggestion of doing a mockup.

Even tho' y'all were voting for counter height, to be honest, I just could not get the feel for how it would look. With my kitchen gutted I've lost all sense of perspective and I just could not visualize it. In my mind I was only getting that visual separation of the spaces with the raised bar.

Well ... I took your advice! I stacked some boxes to 36", then found 3 pieces of cardboard in the garage - used one for the top and two for the sides to mimic cabinets. It worked perfectly! The one on top is almost the exact size of what the counter would be. Here it is! (Sorry for the poor lighting - taken w/my iPhone).

Again thank you EVERYONE for the feedback and wise guidance. GW'ers Rock! Counter height it is!

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

looks like that'll work great for many things in the future!

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Good for you!! I mocked up sooooooo many things along the way. Immensely helpful. Congrats on another decision off the list.

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz