Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backsplash to coordinate with busy granite?

Posted by AnitaRn (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 12:03

We are starting a kitchen makeover in our new to us house. We are going to paint the cabinets a creamy white and glaze, and change the flooring out to hardwoods. The walls are going to be a buttery yellow with a walnut stain over it. I do not know the name of the granite, but it is very busy and has more of a golden hue than what the picture is showing. I am stumped with what to do for the backsplash. I want something simple that does not compete, but also something that has a personality to it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backsplash to coordinate with busy granite?

I saw a blog post on this once (and I'll link it below) that may help. This designer would say creamy white subway with a colored grout, and I agree in your case. I'll post the before/after from the blog.

Before:

After:

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog post with new backsplash

o
RE: Backsplash to coordinate with busy granite?

I also have busy granite, wood floors and creamy cabinets. No paint in the kitchen, but a khaki color in the adjoining rooms.

We went with a crackle subway with a herringbone pattern over the cook top. We wanted the granite to really be the focal point. I didn't want to try to be trendy with the back splash, and played it safe, but are happy with the look. Other Garden-Webers suggested a mural over the cook top, but the pattern added a bit of 'pop' and broke up the long run of tiles.

I may be in the minority (maybe!), but I really don't think you can go wrong with plain subway tiles. Too many times the back splashes seem to compete with the granite, cabinets and/or floors and they wind up looking busy or disjointed.

With that said, I say keep it simple!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here