Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corbels...ues or no?

Posted by pqsmom (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 12:03

Greetings GWers! We are in the downhill slide of the reno which is 6 weeks off my schedule, now in the 4th month, which I guess in the gist of things isn't too bad. Called the granite folks this week, hoping they would say install would be this week, instead they have us scheduled the first week of September. oh well, DD will go back to college without a real home cooked meal over break (guess I didn't plan this for the right time, but is there ever?)
So here is my question for you all, because you have helped me out some much already and didn't even know it!! Cabinets are in with the exception of the cabinet front and valence that goes in front of my vent hood. For a couple of reasons, the cabinet front is too high and it was too close to the cooktop for code. Being remade. In the meantime I keep looking at the fluted column and the 3 inch filler that the valence will attach to and not liking how they look. I ordered two corbels from Osborne Wood (those folks are wonderful, BTW!) and have stained them to match. I am thinking about having them installed even with the filler piece which will still leave about 4 inches of the fluted column sticking out. See photo. Then will have a 6 inch pice of solid wood behind the corbel on each side - or may have a small shelf built there for select spices.
Based on the pics, (sorry I couldn't do any better with the corbel shot, but was trying to do it myself!) what do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corbels...ues or no?

It looks good in the picture. How does it look from the side?

o

Subject should be Yes or No? Good grief, you would think it was midnight not 12:40 in the afternoon, for how much trouble I am having. Anywho, here is my attempt at holding up the corbel where I think it should go.

o

Here is a shot from straight on with the valence.

o
RE: Corbels...yes or no?

I really should just go to bed and call it a day! Here is a shot from the side, CEFreemon. the above was when I convinced DH and DS to help hold the woodwork up for a photo. Guess my question is, where do I have the corbel installed: even with the cabinets or even with the valence or somewhere in between?

o

I like the corbels.

How will your insert attach inside your hood cover? I thought there had to be a frame all around it.

o

Marti8a, haven't a clue. We have a Broan hood, and the cab installer is putting it in. I assume the hood attaches to the wall and the cabinet facings go in front. I think there is a frame, but it must not come in contact with the wood facing. Install won't be for a couple more weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here