Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
6 burner Kitchaid rangetop or 5 burner Wolf cooktop?

Posted by Carmahaston (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 12:01

We are in the middle of a full remodel with new appliances. I love to cook and my dream is a 6 burner professional cooktop. Question is, in trying to save some money we are torn. I really want the 36" Wolf 6 burner rangetop but my husband is pressing me to bring the cost down. The other alternate is the Kitchenaid 6 burner rangetop or even the Thermador (although I'm not a big fan of either and the Thermador is only about $400 cheaper, Kitchaid more like 1k) or a Wolf 5 burner drop in cooktop. The way I see it. The Kitchenaid can be a space saver allowing us to upgrade later since it takes up roughly the same amount of space as the wolf and I can potentially look for one on Craigslist later. On the other hand if I went with the Wolf 5 burner I may be happy but we can't upgrade due to the configuaration of how it "drops" in to the counter.
Would love your thoughts. This is my first posting and I did search on this subject but found very little.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 6 burner Kitchaid rangetop or 5 burner Wolf cooktop?

I didn't do a lot of searching before choosing my KA 6 burner. It is installed, but not yet hooked up. But one thing I really like is that the granite gets cut in under a flange, so there is no "crud crack". Another thing I like is that my counter run is extra deep at 27" (29" granite), so the rangetop was set back nearly to the wall and nearly flush with the countertop. Here is mine, followed by the floor model which is set in a standard run and protrudes an extra 3+ inches.

photo IMG_1241_zps6fe5f10b.jpg

photo photo6_zps586f75df.jpg

o

IMHO, spend the dollars on the things you really love and want, and find ways to cut costs to stay in budget on the things that aren't as important to you. Some things are worth the splurge.

o

Capital Culinarian Series CGRT366 rangetop $3039
No red knobs but optional cranberry knobs

BlueStar RBCT365BSS cooktop ~$2100

Either one has far superior performance to the Wolf.

Remember when getting cooktop you must buy extra countertop, pay for cutout ,and more edging. The extra cabinetry is usually nominal.

Usually granite guys say the cooktop cutout is "free" then are willing to give you a discount if getting range. So effectively they are charging for the cutout.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here