Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who's used 511 Impregnator...questions...

Posted by rocketmomkd (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 11:53

I can't get ahold of their tech support people. I'm not sure if I should be sealing our marble backsplash tile before grouting or after. The label says it is a grout sealer as well, so that should mean I can grout then seal. But I've heard others say they sealed marble before grouting. What should I do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who's used 511 Impregnator...questions...

I sealed my marble tile before installing it. I haven't used it since- did not seal the grout, but haven't had any problems with it. This is marble tile in the niche behind my stove.

This sealer is easy to use. But, I found most of my information by searching the bathroom forum where all the tile experts are.

o

On the back of our Carrera tile it says to put it on before grouting. I suppose the thinking is that the grout is kind of wet and it will protect it.

o

we don't have marble but our stone guy (5th generation) sealed after the backsplash went in. He put the granite in, then the backsplash (several weeks later b/c I had trouble deciding) then grouted, then sealed everything with 511 all in one fell swoop.

o

I used 511 porous plus (not impregnator) on our limestone floors, and will be using it on our marble countertops. From the FAQ on the website, it seemed like PP was better to resist oil stains, which I felt was important for kitchen counters. We sealed all the floor tiles with 2 coats before laying and grouting them. Then we will do another coat to protect the grout. Personally I would play it safe and seal the tiles before they get grouted, but really I don't know what would happen (if anything) if you didn't.

o

Thanks for sharing your experience everyone. Did a bunch more research, since the Miracle Seal people never got back to me, and decided to seal before grout. The main reason seems to be that the sealer will protect the marble from getting stained by the grout. I did the seal today, tomorrow grout, and then seal again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here