Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wade_clara

faucet and sink - pics anyone?

wade_clara
14 years ago

Hi all, we decided to take a break from the appliance decision making and do something "simple" like pick out a faucet and sink. Good grief isn't anything simple these days! Didn't realize there were so many choices in faucets.

Here is what we found so far and would like to know if anyone has this combination or something similar. I'd like to see what it looks like. I'm concerned the faucet may look too big. Maybe will have to get a bigger sink so the faucet doesn't look too big for the sink?

faucet

Â

sink

One important consideration is ergonomics, we don't want to reach too far to turn the water on, and the nozzle needs to be close enough so we don't reach too far while rinsing something. Our current faucet is very poorly set up. We have to reach 24" to turn on the water and the water stream is about 16" back. The edge of our sink is set back 7 inches from the edge of the counter and is on an angle in the corner of the kitchen. When get our new sink, we will have it put as close to the front edge as possible and it will not be in the corner at an angle.

Anyway, I would love to see some pics of what others have for faucet sink combos.

Thanks!

\x/ade

Comments (18)

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

The Danze Opulence pull down faucet is what I have. No pictures right now. Here's the deal with it, it aims straight down! I have a center drain in my sink and it doesn't hit it, the water hits between the back of the sink and the drain. Which then in turn, make a very small rinsing area. Yes I can use the pull down part, but then my process has become 2 handed. This appears to be the only Danze that does this, all the others seem to angle out. So pay attention to that, no matter which faucet you choose. This faucet appears enormous--I thought it was going to be too big, hah--it's the direction of the water that is so important!

Also, I had read that if you are right handed, to place the handle on the left because you will have stuff in your right hand when you approach the sink, thus causing you to cross under the faucet to turn it on. Well, when we were going to install this, I realized I put the soap dispenser on the left side of the faucet, and if I put the handle on that side it would look really weird.

• jjmckillop
    14 years ago

I love that faucet - clean yet classic. We have chosen a single handle faucet as well, but much more modern to fit with our 'transitional' decor. I've received a lot of advice that having the spray be pull-down rather than separate is not a good idea, but I just like the uncluttered look. Can you press a button to keep the spray function on? that's always key.

My faucet is almost identical to the one in this link, but it is by Rohl. Our sink is a single bowl. I really prefer a single bowl, in case you want to clean cookie sheets, large pans, etc. Also, I hate having to clean food particles out of the side that doesn't have a disposal.

good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: faucet photo

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Our combination is the larger Vinnata (K-690) & the larger Ticor sink (S405D), so it should give you an idea.

However, if reach is important to you, understand that the smaller Vinnata has a shorter reach (by 2" IIRC)--this means the nozzle/faucet head is 2" closer to the back of the sink.

As to turning it on, I suggest you mount the handle in front, rather than one of the sides...that will bring the handle 3 or 4 inches closer to the front of the sink as well as eliminate the need to push it "back" even further when adjusting the water for hot. Additionally, mount the faucet like I did, over the divider, b/c you can bring the faucet forward a little.

(Yes, I'm decorator-challenged! I need to do something about that window area!)

Your sink's dimensions:
    Overall/Exterior: 32" x 17-3/4" x 8"
    Large Bowl: 18" x 15-3/4" x 8"
    Small Bowl: 10-3/4" x 13" x 7"

My sink's dimensions:
    Overall/Exterior: 35-1/8" x 20-7/8" x 9"
    Large Bowl: 21-3/8" x 18-3/4" x 9"
    Small Bowl: 10-1/2" x 15-7/8" x 7"
    Note: My sink fit in a 36" sink base w/no problems.

Your faucet's dimensions:
    Height: 15-1/8"
    Reach: 7-1/2"
    Distance b/w top of sink & bottom of faucet head: 9"

My faucet's dimensions:
    Height: 16-5/8"
    Reach: 9-1/2"
    Distance b/w top of sink & bottom of faucet head: 10"

Closeup so you can see exactly where the faucet is installed relative to the sink bowls.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Vinnata Dimensions and Measurements (690 & 691)

• lisa_wi
    14 years ago

I've got the big vinnata in bronze with a Kohler smart divide sink in biscuit. DH is a designer for Kohler so there was no other way to go :) I've got the faucet handle in the front - the only way to do it IMO. Love the size!

There are pics in my backslash thread. I'd post them here but can't get to photobucket.

Here is a link that might be useful: sink and faucet pics

• franki1962
    14 years ago

buehl, we have a near identical set up in regards to sink area (not sink or faucet) here is how are unit looks and we also chose to mount the faucet control on the front.

We have a Franke Orca sink w/ a Franke Mythos faucet

• wade_clara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info!
    Buehl, what is the distance from the edge of your counter to your handle? And the distance from the edge of the counter to the faucet head?
    Thank you very much!
    \x/ade

• Buehl
    14 years ago

With the faucet in the position shown in the picture above...

Distance b/w the handle & counter edge = 21"
    Distance b/w the faucet head & counter edge = 13"
    If the handle were moved to the front, the distance b/w the handle & counter edge = 17-1/2"

If the faucet is facing "straight on", the distance b/w the faucet head & counter edge = 10-1/2"

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

I wanted to post a picture of the Danze in action I mentioned above. Just wanted anybody else who might be shopping for a faucet to see this too. See how it doesn't even reach the center drain?
    {{!gwi}}

• Buehl
    14 years ago

You have a better view Franki1962! One of these days I'm going to shift from the inside of the house to the outside...we're in dire need of landscaping! We have a lot of land, but very little landscaping...mostly grass! (Our property was a horse pasture a long time ago, so there were no trees...we did plant trees, at least!)

BeeKeepersWife...I was curious, so I checked the specs and your faucet has a 7-11/16" reach.

Wade_Clara...The smaller Vinnata has a 7-1/2" reach, 3/16" less than the Opulence. I wonder if you'll have the same issue BeeKeepersWife has.

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

At least the Vinnata is listed as a "secondary sink", well, the Danze is NOT. I wonder if the Vinnata can have the head angled so it is not straight down. Can't do that with the Danze.

When I checked the specs on this faucet before buying it, it sounded fine, I guess I was assuming the stream of water would be angled.

If I don't adjust to this faucet, it is going on eBay!

• wade_clara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I linked to the wrong faucet. My wife was looking at the larger Vinnata (K-690). As for the sink, I wanted one where the faucet could be closer in. I liked the size of the S405D but the S105 appears to have about 3 inches less distance from the edge of the counter to the back of the sink. That would put the faucet 3 inches closer to me when I reach for the faucet. I'll have to look at the specs of the k-690 in relation to the S105.

Thanks!
    \x/ade

• Buehl
    14 years ago

You mean like this.... :-)

• wade_clara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hee hee great pics! :) When I was in college I would use a rubber band and wrap it around the pull up sprayer at the back of the sink. I would make sure it was well aimed to the front center of the sink. When my roommate would turn on the water he'd get blasted by the sprayer! Can't play that trick using the pull down sprayers though.

By the way, is that AB granite counter? We are going tomorrow to pick out our AB granite slab.
    \x/ade

• Buehl
    14 years ago

LOL! We did the same growing up....I was the oldest of 6 kids & we used to pull those kinds of pranks on each other all the time...and that was one of them! Hmmmmm...maybe that's the real reason I don't like separate sprayers!

Yes, it is AB granite...polished. We love it and would definitely get it again if we had it to do over!

While out looking, be careful of dyed stones. Ask the stone yards if they check for dyed stones. There are some unscrupulous suppliers (at the quarry) who dye their stones to look like deep black AB when they're really a gray AB or non-AB stone. If stone yards don't check, you'll have to check. Get a sample of your specific slab(s) to check...not some sample they've had laying around from other bundles. The "Stone Advice" thread has details on testing.

It took us several months to find deep black AB slabs, so you may have to be patient. (The AB quarries were producing gray stones at the time...that was almost 18 months ago, so hopefully things have changed.)

Good luck tomorrow!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Stone Information and Advice (& Checklists)

• wade_clara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi buehl, is your faucet in vibrant stainless or brushed nickel? Where did you get your sponge holder? And what is that to the right of your faucet, looks like a hole was plugged with a cap? Time is running out and need to order our sink, faucet and anything else we may want such as soap dispenser.

Franki1962, what is to the far right of your faucet?

Both of those are beautiful sink areas!

By the way we were looking for a lighter slab and was hoping to find one of those light slabs that did not get dyed. We ended up with honed AB granite. It is like a dark charcoal gray, would have preferred a bit lighter but this will look very nice.

thanks!
    \x/ade

• kelvar
    14 years ago

franke1962 and buehl, you both have a cutout on your sink that looks like a flat button of some kind. What is that? franke1962, is that a hot water dispenser also on your sink?

• teppy
    14 years ago

i did not spend alot on my sink and faucet. i was able to find the 'look' that i was after without spending money on brand names. i may regret it with the faucet later on, buy maybe not. i went to lowes and got my faucet. i think it is a price phister. my sink i ordered online from sienna sinks. i do love this sink. it is the 16 guage. the water hits right in the center drain. "And look maw, mine can do acrobats like Buehls and stand on its side"! {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• earthpal
    14 years ago

Oh, thanks for pointing that out! I had missed it going thru the pictures and was wondering how it would look in an installed kitchen. It is the new way of doing garbage disposals! Instead of the switchplate on the wall that is never conveniently placed, you can put it on the countertop right next to your water source! I can't tell you how excited I am to be getting that feature. Right now, I have to stand on one foot and lean into a corner to flip that switch on and off.