Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missyv_gw

Countertop Choices..Opinions Needed!

MIssyV
12 years ago

I stumbled across the forum a month or so ago and have loved finding great insight here. I check it often for answers or just ideas/suggestions/inspiration during our small kitchen make-over. This is my first time posting after being a lurker for so long.

We found a few slabs of granite we liked at a local shop, but they seem to be less common granites, so I am struggling to find finished kitchen pictures with any of these granite choices. We liked Mascarello Extra, Sunflower, Minsk Gold and Juperana Persa, but my concern is they may be too busy once in MY kitchen. We have warm white cabinets (BM Linen White) and about to install Mannington Revolutions Heritage Cherry Tanned Hide for flooring.

When I look at finished kitchen pictures, I bookmark these:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0318593419284.html

http://www.marble.com/video/product/914

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1220341427987.html

If you look at these beautiful kitchens, their countertops are nothing like what I picked out when shopping! So I fear I am struggling when it comes to translating slabs into finished products.....please help! My heart truly loves timeless looks, like marble, but I just don't think I have the personality to live with marble in my kitchen. I prefer a veined pattern and really don't care for a speckled granite...which is why I like the look of marble. But these slabs are rich in color and really are beautiful in person! SO help...I am losing sleep over this!

Comments (8)

• MIssyV
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am working on figuring out how to upload the pics of these granite slabs, but having a hard time :)

• ellendi
    12 years ago

When you post your granite choices we will have a better idea of what they are similar to. I looked at two of the kitchens you posted and they both have very plain counters. If this is the look you want, then we need to find out more about yur inspiration pictures.
    Look at Beekeeperswife's kitchen It is a GW favortie. Bianco Antico is a very busy granite. It is the "star" of the kitchen. Her backsplash is a solid, simple yet interesting in the shape of the tiles.
    There are many other examples of using a busy granite with movement.
    Do you really, really love these choices? Some people have posted very loud, busy granites with lots of movement. They absolutely love them! Not my taste, but I can appreciate them in someone else's kitchen.
    By looking at similar busy granites, you will get an idea of how yours will look. You might not find your exact one, but you will get a good idea.
    Funny thing when you go granite shopping,sometimes it takes you in a whole other direction of what you planned!

• MIssyV
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sunflower Granite

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunflower Granite Pic

• ginny20
    12 years ago

The Sweeby Test really helped me choose the granite with the "right" amount of movement. I loved the ones with big, bold patterns,but knew they would be too busy for my space. I went back to the feeling I wanted, and I came up with "adagio" to describe the movement (I take ballet). I wanted it to feel like the Snow Adagio in the Nutcracker, not the Russian dance or the Prince's leaping solo. Keeping this image in my head allowed me to look past the attention-grabbing beauty of the more dramatic stones and find a quieter one. Can you come up with an image that would express the feeling you want in your kitchen? Maybe a song or piece of music, or a painting? For example,do you want a Brahms kitchen or an Aerosmith kitchen? Then decide if the granite is Brahms granite or Aerosmith granite.HTH

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

Hope this helps.

jbrodie's kitchen with soapstone countertop:

pip's kitchen with madre perla quartzite:

This isn't the same photo as above (it was in a video), but I think this photo has the same Colonial Gold. This is cali wendy's kitchen:

Here's a mascarello, but not extra-can't find that

Here's another mascarello, still not extra

Here's a sunflower

and another

This is Minsk Gold {{!gwi}} and Juperana Persa

Here is a link that might be useful: How to add photos-my simple explanation

• MIssyV
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you suzannesl for posting those pics directly on this post. Ahh...love all of them! Here is a picture of the mascarello extra we looked at in columbus, ohio

Here is a link that might be useful: masc. extra

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Does anyone have a link to beekeeperswife's kitchen?

• MIssyV
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes BeeKeeperswife has a beautiful kitchen as well! http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0308101228695.html

It does lend itself to cooler tones/gray than what will work in my home though. Frankly, if I could afford the Madre Perla Quartzite it would be mine! But its just out of what we want to spend....quoted at $120/sq ft and we need 55 sq ft with a peninsula that is 114 long which seems to be the deal breaker for many slabs I look at (esp marble). We really want to stay around $85/sq ft, but willing to go up to $95 if I love it.

I am attaching a picture of our fireplace because it is just off the kitchen and is a focal point in that room. I want it to compliment what we do in the kitchen, and thought maybe doing subway tile for BS would help tie it all together once we select a counter top.

This is torture!

Here is a link that might be useful: fireplace