Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chesters_house_gw

An untouched Julia kitchen

From a real estate listing in central New York, what looks to be a kitchen untouched from when it was built in the mid 60s. Not only peg board and a commercial range, but adds in drawers before its time.

Comments (7)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Cool kitchen.

FWIW, in my parents' house (a regular ol' tract house), which was built in 1960, the walnut-patterned slab front formica cabinets included a drawer base. I wouldn't think of that as "before its time" as much as a feature that later cost-cutting measures by builders tended to remove.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

That looks like the kitchen of a serious cook, with quarry tile and butcher block, etc. It looks like there is a skylight above the up and down lighting and maybe the doors act as a light rail for task lighting: the doors look longer than the cabinet side.

• detroit_burb
    9 years ago

that dishwasher speaks 1970's to me. the wood edge banding on the countertop is more late 1970's.

still, something about it is pleasing to the eye.

• chesters_house_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes! Another shot of the kitchen shows the skylight. The whole space looks pretty functional from a cook's point of view, with light, space, and what seems to be a decent layout.
    . According to the listing it's basically untouched since built. It's still on the pricey side for the (extremely variable) area. Then again, it has 80 acres to go along with the mid century museum.

I was out on their site looking at a fixer, but clicked on this one because it's unusual around here - some ranchers but not much modern, with even the ranchers often done up in 1950s colonial style.

Oddly, commercial ranges turn up fairly frequently.

Here is a link that might be useful: listing

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Oh, wood-edged countertops were around in the 60s, and this was an architect-designed house---and a bit ahead of the curve. The DW could be newer but I don't think appliances count as "untouched" most of my parents' kitchen is original 1969, but it's had three refrigerators and probably four DW in that time. I don't think "untouched" includes appliances necessarily.

• Cloud Swift
    9 years ago

I only see one drawer bank in the two pictures and one drawer bank was pretty common. I had several kitchens that had that.

Our current house was built in the mid-70s and the kitchen base cabinets were almost all drawers. Door base cabinets were only used for one narrow space and when there was something above them:: under the sinks, under the Nutone kitchen center motor with pull-outs for the accessories (blender, mixer, etc.) and under a Jennair module that converted to a grill or deep fryer. All the rest of the lowers were drawers. The wet bar, utility room, and the two larger baths are also well equipped with drawers.

Nice deep pot and pan drawers in the island:

It also had a prep sink - undersized at 12x12" but still quite useful.

The concept of the kitchen was good and we kept a pretty similar layout other than getting rid of the upper cabinets over the island.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

The kitchen looks better in the context of the entire house, you don't get the sense of the light coming in from multiple directions in the first shot.