Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pobrecita

backsplash 2nd thoughts and help

pobrecita
10 years ago

The back splash for our new kitchen was installed yesterday. I'm having major second thoughts. DH loves it, but I just think it might be too modern for me. Opinions?

Well, the tile fell off overnight (whole other issue, obviously) so I had them hold of to replace it. I'm now tentatively looking at other options.

Any suggestions? I lean towards a warm, transitional style while DH likes modern. We both like things simple. The counters are oiled soapstone. It's open floor plan so it will be very visible.

Comments (17)

• deedles
    10 years ago

It's definitely modern.

It fell off?

• Anne Harris
    10 years ago

I think it looks really good with your cabs and counter--but it is cool and modern, and you say you like warm and transitional!

What other options did you consider before getting this backsplash? What are your floors? And you say the floor plan is open--what colors are in the room that the kitchen opens in to?

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I think it definitely "goes" with your cabs and counter, but it does seem busy. When mosaics have a lot of color contrast it will look busy...maybe try to find something without as much contrast that has muted shades of gray..then try this before you commit....go to Kinkos and make 10-20 color copies....yes, lay the tile samples on the xerox copier....then go home and tape them up. Not perfect, but it gives you a pretty good idea of what a run would look like rather than just looking at the sample. I did this and it really helped. In the end I couldnt find what I liked and we used the same granite for a BS.....

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Maybe white subway tiles? The are very simple and the countertops would really pop!

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

This isn't subway tiles (I'm sure you've seen them online) but it does show how simple and pretty the white and black is...very classic.
    {{!gwi}}From Farmhouse plans

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I think it's a pretty zippy, energetic pattern to live with if you don't really like it. It is a very dominant feature. Usually the WOH spends more time in the kitchen, so how you feel in there is a little more important, imo.

A lot of people here seem to think the mosaics are the only way to go these days. Maybe blogs are doing them a lot too. I would keep your options open when looking.

I don't see modern mosaics with soapstone but maybe that's popular right now too.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

I like it, but it is quite contemporary/modern. If you don't both like it, is there somewhere in the middle that you can compromise? Soapstone and white cabinets seem neutral enough that I think you have a lot of backsplash options. What does the rest of the area look like? It is modern? Cool? Warm?

• Vertise
    10 years ago

"The are very simple and the countertops would really pop!:"

Good point. Soapstone is a beautiful, soothing material. I wouldn't want to push it into the background.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Here's a picture with the tile...notice how the hardware really stands out, along with the countertop. It all depends on what you want to emphasize :)
    {{!gwi}}From Farmhouse plans

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Here's one with the high contrast mosaics:

Here is a link that might be useful: clearer picture

• LoPay
    10 years ago

Calcutta marble subway tiles would reflect the veins in the soapstone.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

It really has a modern look. It is pretty in it's own way but maybe the tile falling off is a great sign that you should go more traditional.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I think it is definitely modern. If you do not like it then I would consider a nice marble subway. I have always loved soapstone, white cabs and marble subway together. You have a lovely kitchen!

• herbflavor
    10 years ago

Presumably that section is for your cooktop and hood.....I think I'd leave it in that area and see if that collection of tile has a plain tile for your other area...like an elongated subway in white in the same grouping. Backsplashes at cooktops look good with some interest/detail/relief..something..or else the cooktop and hood are what one is looking at.

• eam44
    10 years ago

How about a classic marble tile backsplash? It might offer enough visual interest for hubby, and it could provide more warmth for you. Plus, marble and soapstone are beautiful together. You could use a classic grey/white marble like Carrara, but you might enjoy the warmth imparted by Calacatta Gold. For shapes, I really love the slab look but that would be expensive, and could detract from the counter. The classic subway would be a great option, as would be a marble mosaic.

Calacatta Gold
    Slab (image from M. Teixeira web site)
    {{!gwi}}
    Subway

Mosaic

You might also want to find another installer. It's great that the tile fell off since you want to make a change, but getting the tile to remain on the wall isn't rocket science, even when the tile is obviously heavy like yours is.

Good luck!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

For whatever reason, maybe because I have seen them lately at HD for 5.00/sheet and in rentals, I associate these small glass mosaics with a less high-end look. Your kitchen cabinets and soapstone are beautiful and classic; I'd pick a more classic and organic material to go with them.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I'm sorry you're having second thoughts, but I would consider the tiles falling off a blessing in disguise. Read the signs! :) Like you, I prefer warm and transitional. Your tile is distinctly cool and contemporary. It would be way too busy and jarring for me. Of course, this is your kitchen, not mine.

Since both you and DH like simple, and this tile isn't, you might want to look at something else. The photos offered upstream have some good options. Good luck!