Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgormish

7-Week Kitchen Remodel Revealed

dgormish
9 years ago

My kitchen remodel is complete! Thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiries and all of you who just participate on this board. I learned so much for hear others opinions and experiences!

The remodel began with interviewing contractors in the fall. We signed a contract in January. We agreed to use a custom cabinetmaker because of some of the strange configurations in our kitchen. We had seen his work and knew it was good. We also knew he was slow and had several projects in the works. So, we didn�t start the tear down until the cabinetmaker was close to done. The time from the tear down to the last day the contractor worked here was 8 weeks. One week we were on vacation so the work itself took 7 weeks. I did a LOT of grilling during that time!

I don't know how to attach multiple photos but you can go here and see them and more details:

http://www.gormish.org/denise/kitchen-remodel/

Denise

Here is a link that might be useful: Additional Photos Here!

This post was edited by dgormish on Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 22:24

Comments (19)

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

THE LIGHT!!! THE LIGHT!!! I would die for that skylight plunked in the middle of my kitchen! Wow is that huge swath of daylight terrific in your space.

LOVE the backsplash, so pretty and unique and not cookie-cutter, and the granite is so perfect to pick up the colors and tones and sparkle in the rest of the elements of the room, too. It all pulls together so nicely, great job!

Is it my imagination, or did you have a significant challenge of unlevel floor to deal with?

• countryatheart
    9 years ago

Absolutely love the tile- it is perfect!

• dgormish
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have a slab foundation and yes, it wasn't level. We didn't realize this until the cabinet maker started putting in the cabinets and he had to do a lot of shimming. So, the floor people put in a leveler but it didn't stick. It cracked and came up in large chunks. As it turned out we also had moisture issues. So, the applied a moisture barrier to the floor. We also had them grind the floor to get it level. The floor issues added 1 1/2 weeks to the project and the most unexpected costs. We put in luxury vinyl and so far it looks great!

• eam44
    9 years ago

The kitchen is lovely, but I really admire your timeline!! I don't even remember when I started...

• malabacat_gw
    9 years ago

What a happy, bright and beautiful space!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

That tile! It literally took my breath away when I saw it...how wonderful your kitchen is!

• lannegreene
    9 years ago

Yep the tile. Your coffered ceiling is pretty awsome too.

• vdinli
    9 years ago

So bright and cheerful! Love the tile and granite combination. Enjoy your new space!

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

Gorgeous!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Pretty! Love the choice of backsplash and the coffered ceiling and skylight!

But, that's it for photos? There must be more!

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

Great peninsula with all those drawers! The ceiling with the light in that kitchen; WOW.
    Great job and 7 weeks?!?! I'm so jealous.

• dgormish
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cut and paste the link above to see more details and photos.

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

Another A++ from me. A beautiful job.
    The new ceiling treatment is wonderful. In this small space, the decorative tile and dark countertops with the white cabs and trim are perfect. You must be delighted.

A suggestion:
    You can go back to your original post and choose "New: Edit post" in the upper right corner of the page.
    Then scroll down to near the bottom of the page and paste the url you typed for your new pictures into the box below the Message box where you type your original entry. The box is labeled "Optional link URL:")
    Then, in the box below it (Labeled "Name of Link") type the name --Maybe just "More Pictures Here".

It is really easy to do and makes it much easier for viewers to look at your pictures. And yes, we'd like more pictures!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Love your backsplash! What is the name if the Pratt & Larson silver field tile? It looks perfect with the blue flower motif.
    Such a cute dog & I was so relieved to read that you have gold in your countertops cuz your dog does match your kitchen afterall.
    Enjoy your beautiful new kitchen!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Love your kitchen! And the tile - wow. The box beam ceiling and additional natural light. Just wow. All the things I could only wish for, you implemented.

• merrygardener
    9 years ago

What a cheery kitchen! I also love that tile.

• cani
    9 years ago

What is that creamy wall color you used? I'm looking for a color like that to use for the rooms adjacent to the kitchen.

• dgormish
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! I love my space!

I added the link up above. It is below the photo.

The wall color is Sherwin Williams Crisp Linen.

Some one asked about the tile backsplash. The 6X6 flower tiles are Pratt and Larsen Motif H. Those tiles are crackle watercolor. The other tiles (field 1X6 and 6X6) are also Pratt and Larsen but from the regular line. The 6X6 field tiles are actually a light blue with a tint of purple. The color number is r355.

The floor tile is a little darker than that photo shows so my dog does match it well with his lighter hair colors. :-)

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Dgoormish great looking kitchen and I think a GW record! I love your skylight and tiles. What a fun kitchen!
    Congrats

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations