Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

Shelf liner for painted wood pantry shelves

flseadog
14 years ago

Our painter has advised us (and the paint forum has confirmed) that we should wait at least 3 weeks before loading up our semi-gloss painted wood shelves in all our closets. The painter has also recommended that we use shelf liner, especially in closets where "fiber" will be in contact with the painted shelves. He said that towels, cardboard, book bindings, paper, etc. will tend to stick to even well cured paint when there is a lot of weight on the shelf. This rang a bell with me since in our old house with painted wood shelves we had a game closet with a heavy shelf load of board games and puzzles and the bottom item in the stack always sort of had to be pried up a bit if it sat in the same place for a long time.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get in touch with the painter to ask him if he has any recommendations for a shelf liner so, as always, I am turning to you. Do you line your wood shelves in the pantry? I wouldn't have anything "fiber" on my pantry shelves---usually more metal and plastic so I didn't really plan on lining these shelves but now I'm starting to rethink this. Aside from cushy cupboards do you recommend any particular product? Have you ever had a problem with liner sticking to painted shelves? And, I guess now I'll have to line the linen closet shelves so I'd appreciate suggestions for that also. TIA.

Comments (9)