Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sankaty_91

Creamy white cabinets and Shaw sink color

sankaty_91
15 years ago

I am about to sign on the dotted line for our cabinet order - Shaker style door in a creamy white. My countertop will be soapstone (haven't picked the exact slab yet). I am ordering a 30" Rohl Farm sink. I was planning on White but now my KD thinks it should be Bisque. Any thoughts?

Comments (21)

• cait38
    15 years ago

we have a white farm house sink with creamy white cabinets. I think it looks nice- the contrast that is. I think that matching two similar colors is harder than going for a contrast. I think that either would work, however.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

i think white will look better. i'm not a fan of biscuit.

• bayareafrancy
    15 years ago

Also not a fan of biscuit, unless it is a biscuit covered with strawberries and whipped cream.

A poster last week was very disappointed at how pinkish her biscuit Shaw's is, if that matters to you.

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

i was going to get mine in biscuit until my stone fabricator showed me a white one he had in. it was the 36" and he sold it to me for $700. i suddenly changed my mind! white it is! and when i started looking around i really preferred the white. i agree about having a contrast with the cream colored cabs. looks great.

• growlery
    15 years ago

I think cream and white is less of a hazard than cream and biscuit. (Not to mention it saves you a few hundred dollars.) That's what I'm planning.

I'm also planning to take it because it's the safer option. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but I have visited several (like 4) showrooms in my area, and it seems the two are very close. Two of the showrooms said they weren't sure if what they had on display was white or biscuit! And none of them could show me side-by-side examples of the two glazes.

One showed me one that was barely cream and said that was like biscuit, one showed me one that was, as Francy said, pale shell pink, and said that was it. Confused.

I'm sure it's lovely, but I stick with things I can see.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I changed from biscuit to white because sinks SHOULD be white IMO. (Sorry, stainless & silgranit people!) If you're worried about the white not matching the cream, try to incorporate a few other white/cream tones, and also try to remember that white sinks read as "neutral," aka unobtrusive.

• mary_in_nc
    15 years ago

I went with white Shaws sink over bisque because I thought the bisque would look "dirty" against the white cabs. I love my white sink with my creamy white cabs.

• sankaty_91
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone. I am going with the white which was my original idea. I think I needed the support that I was making the right decision.

I just came back from ordering my cabinets. They will be charging $200 freight charge for the sink. Much more than I think is reasonable.

mary in nc - so wonderful to see your kitchen picture again. You have done a fabulous job.

• redroze
    15 years ago

I don't like how my silgranit sink in Biscuit looks with my white cabinets. I figured the Biscuit would be easier to clean, and that my granite had a warmth to it that would go better with the Biscuit. But white would have been much, much better. The biscuit looks too yellow and stands out like a sore thumb!

But I should have gotten the silgranit sink in White instead. I've come to terms with this...maybe one day we will cut open the cabinet below it and pry the sink out and replace with a white sink. For now, life could be a lot worse.

My advice: Go white!!

• mojua
    15 years ago

This is a great thread...our KD has been adament that we go with biscuit as a 'compliment' to our ivory painted shaker cabs...I had been thinking white all along...but this seals it...you guys are right, I'm going white!

• redroze
    15 years ago

Totally agree Mojua. This is one of those threads that I wish existed BEFORE I bought my sink! Happy to pass on the knowledge though! ;-)

• marthavila
    15 years ago

Chiming in late here, but I'm also pairing my white Rohl Shaw's sink with creamy white cabs. I'm curious to hear, Sankaty and Mojua, why your KDs are so adamant about going with bisquit for your applications?

• mdmc
    15 years ago

We went with white. Very happy!

• sankaty_91
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My KD thought the sink should match the cabinet color - that it would look better and not standout. I WANT my sink to standout. I've always favored a pure white sink and I'm so glad all of you have confirmed my thoughts. White it is!

• redroze
    15 years ago

Here's a few more views...blehh!!! Should have gone with the white. Yes, I'm grateful that I have a sink. But we should have gone with the white. I feel somewhat better knowing that I've helped others not make the same mistake. =)

• marthavila
    15 years ago

It is not terrible, Red! I was prepared to see a total disaster and, in fact, I'm realizing that I did not even take notice of the difference on your first photo. But, even with the additional photos, it looks to me like the color of the bisquit sink is a complement to the granite. Plus, since it's not an apron front type sink, the color contrast with the cabs is not so noticeable. If your granite were in a different color, or if the slab were soapstone or white marble, for example, I would probably think differently. You're fine!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

I too love white sinks, but went with biscuit. I think it matches better with my granite. If I had to do it over again, I would go with black silgranite. It would go better with my granite and my sink cab which is black. That said, I think white will look well. Especially since your base cab is white. It should complement it.

Sinks are still considered neutral ground and white should look very pretty in your kitchen.

• cait38
    15 years ago

redroze, i have to agree with martha. your sink color really goes beautifully with your granite. i think that in your instance biscuit was better. cait

• redroze
    15 years ago

Thanks Cait and Martha! That makes me feel a lot better. You're right that the fact it's an undermount rather than an apron front makes it less noticeable. Hubby and I decided we wouldn't change it right away anyway - it's the least of our priorities right now!

• sankaty_91
    Original Author
    15 years ago

To redroze - thanks for your comments. I agree that your bisque sink blends beautifully with your cabinets.

• pupwhipped
    15 years ago

My cabs aren't creamy white...there more on the YELLOW side with a rust glaze. They're rustic looking. I considered the bisque color Shaw's. The gal at the plumbing store said a Shaw's sink should be white and I agree. Mine is a total contrast with my cabs and I like it that way. BTW, have you seen a bisque one in person? My store only had the white and I would really be afraid to order one in bisque sight unseen. Good luck with your choices.