Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wrong grout color!! Delorean gray too dark :'-(

Posted by IkeaDaemon (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 11:38

My tile guy finished grouting my white subway tile yesterday with Delorean Gray TEC AccuColor grout.

The grout looks way darker than I thought it would look. The tile guy also filled the 1/16" space with more grout than I had anticipated, making the grout lines even thicker and more noticeable.

Mehta should I do? If I decide to regrout, I know I should do it before the grout fully cures. Should I consider bleaching or coloring it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wrong grout color!! Delorean gray too dark :'-(

It might dry lighter, so I'd wait till it's fully dried, but I had to paint grout once and it's not that difficult, it also acts as a sealer, so don't seal you grout, it will prevent the paint from adhering well. Do a small sample and wait for it to dry, it dries lighter. Another option is to mix white grout paint with water and "white wash" the grout until you get the color you want. Whatever you do, wait till the grout has had time to cure.

I always recommend doing a sample board up with you choice of grout before you commit. Grout isn't that expensive and sometimes the coloring samples aren't very accurate. I just hot glue some tile to cardboard and mixed a little water with the grout and it gave me a much better idea, what the finished product would look like.

o

On another thread, someone mentioned grout colorant by Aquamix, so I guess you could use that. But yes, I'd wait for it to dry, because it will dry lighter.

o

Can you post a photo?

o

I used DeLorean gray on a tile project and loved it when it finished, and was really disappointed when it dried because it dried soooooo much lighter. Just wait -- you’re gonna get what you want.

o

I used Delorean Gray in our kitchen with white tile in 1986, and at first thought it was too dark also.
Give it time, it will lighten up and be fine!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here