Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
likewhatyoudo

Five things that date a kitchen or make it look builder basic:

likewhatyoudo
11 years ago

I have a list of items that when I see them done in remodeling or new build make them look basic or dated from the start. Anyone care to add or dispute? Please remember this is just my opinion and I know that some times due to budget and size limitations it is necessary to have these features in the design.

My top Five things that date a kitchen remodel or make it look builder basic:

1. Raised bar in the kitchen (reserve the raised counter for a basement bar)

2. over the range Microwave hood (a simple broan type under cabinet range hood vent will look much better than a microwave hood)

3. Short 30 inch cabinets (minimum of 36 inch in any new build or remodel)

4. Appliances that are black, white or cream (high end painted appliances are a plus)

5. Travertine tile back splash (I did this one and regret it)

This is just my opinion, if you are remodeling or doing a new build it is worth the extra money to avoid basic mistakes.

Comments (150)

• shannonaz
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is kitchen message board for The Kitchen Obsessed. OP wants a current, expensive looking kitchen (or wants to talk about what makes a kitchen look current or expensive). What would be a inoffensive way to explore what would help achieve that look?

I know that I am walking the fine line between avoiding expensive-looking while not being dated. I am doing a remodel in a high-end neighborhood and I don't want it to look impressive or expensive but because I have so much exposure and interest in design I am sensitive to what is "dated" not because I care what others think but because I am so "over it." Also, I adore what I perceive as timeless design. Palimpset's first pic of the white kitchen is both what I consider timeless and the sort of kitchen I find pleasing. It would fit right in on my Pinterest kitchen board. I have some training and eye for design and I know some of my loves are "dated" but I still love them and consider them good design. Even if I don't want it or like it I like to think that I can still pick out what is "right now" and what is "dated."

I wish there was a way to acknowledge what is on-trend and expensive-looking without offending people who choose and love (or feel stuck with) things that are possibly dated and less expensive looking. Maybe there just isn't a way to do that...

I think it would be fun to start a conversation in the positive (I do not know how to set that thought in a grammatically correct way) and ask:

What elements make a kitchen look expensive and "right-now"?
    I think that would be FUN! It is still subjective, of course, I don't agree with some of the things stated on this thread :)

I just came back to this board because I am remodeling again, but maybe this has been done already?

Some of the things I (maybe incorrectly) think make a kitchen look expensive and current are:

-large kitchens that generally don't need or try to be efficient or ergonomic (this hasn't changed much in the last 30 years, it seems...)
    -muted and/or somber colors like dove gray, soft eggplant, taupe, chocolate etc.
    -cabinetry with glass uppers, open shelves
    -both clean lines and detail in cabinetry
    -clean, simple lighting fixtures with shades in both muted light and dark colors.
    -both squared and drum-shaped shades
    -shiny and sparkly light fixtures; the sparkly ones are less ornate than those you find in a French Country kitchen, the shiny a departure from the heavy, matte, dark lighting fixtures in Old-World or Tuscan kitchens.
    -industrial lighting fixtures
    -lots of detail but less "stuff" than the French Country or Old-World kitchens
    -velvet and linen with subtle or no print, leather
    -quiet counters
    -hand-made tiles that are less "rough" and "rustic" than the hand-made tiles of a few years ago
    -more glamour and less "cozy hearth" but retaining some rustic elements
    -more of a Belgian, Scandinavian influence than the southern European influence of a few years ago
    -more of a city feel than a country feel...more Paris than Provence...

That is my perspective on what looks expensive and current.

These pics aren't perfect, but they do show some of the elements I described.
    They are not my ideal kitchens nor do they reflect my aesthetic necessarily.

I specifically picked the second pic to show what I mean by detail on the cabinets and range hood. It is more austere but not plain. It still looks custom and expensive while being somewhat restrained.

Apparently I see the current kitchen trends as a reaction to the French Country, Old World and farmhouse kitchens, many of which I love...maybe some of the simplicity of farmhouse but with more glamour, some of the detail and a touch of the rustic from Old-World and French Country but more restrained. Where the Old-World kitchens imply simple, home-cooked food (regardless of reality) these new kitchens seem to imply caterers much more :) I don't think the layouts have changed much at all. I, personally, think farmhouse kitchens are still current but I may be biased because I adore the style.

*I put sleek, modern kitchens in a different category. I think they can always be expensive-looking, current choices, though I think they may more popular right now because they are so different from the...yes, Old-World and French Country kitchens.

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/our-projects-kitchens-traditional-kitchen-phvw-vp~699574)

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Charleston Interior Designer Linda McDougald Design : Postcard from Paris Home

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/historic-st-paul-kitchen-and-mudroom-addition-renovation-traditional-kitchen-minneapolis-phvw-vp~347387)

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Minneapolis General Contractor John Kraemer & Sons

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

Well, I heard you put up a glass backsplash,
    and thought you were halfway done;
    then you took a look in the morning light,
    and decided it's not THE ONE...

So you took it down and tossed it out,
    and then you started new,
    cause GW said that it's way too dated...
    it's way too dated...

(shannonaz, do you really expect us to get back on topic?) :)

• likewhatyoudo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Im gonna go eat worms. Big fat juicy ones, little tiny squirmy ones, I'm gonna go eat worms.

I still love this forum!

• deedles
    11 years ago

Oh, my 18 year old knows the song... she says it plays on the "oldies channel" where she works.

Oldies channel. HA.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Oldies! In my book, oldies are songs that you only remember hearing for the first time as oldies...the rest are still "contemporary".

Reminds me of the time (and this was way too many years ago...I think Katie Couric was still on) on the Today show when the Stones were doing another concert tour and they asked some young folk if they knew who the Stones were and if they would go to the concert....One young fellow responded, "Yeah, geezer rock is ok."

Geezer rock!!!!

Geezer rock!!!

Well! I never!!!!

And I had the pleasure a few weeks back to go to a Crosby Still & Nash concert...yeah, they're all on Soc Sec, but they can still rock it out and their extraordinary talent is even more apparent to me today....(though the high notes are a struggle).

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Yes, deedles, I'm afraid we're oldies. I am, anyway. Pity 'tis, 'tis true.

Forget styles in kitchens, I'd rather talk about styles in boys. I never get to talk about boys anymore. Men, yes, but that's not the same thing at all.

So you say they come in Fifty Shades of Gray?

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Um, awkward.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I'm sorry, shannonaz, you're right. I'll talk about kitchens.

My cabs are stained cherry, raised panel, partial overlay, face framed. I chose them because I like them. They probably look dated - I prefer to think of them as classic, graceful, and understated - but anyone who knows anything about cabinetmaking would know they are good quality. So maybe quality and datedness should be separate discussions. And, when we're talking about quality, I think function matters more than the aesthetics.

Speaking of function, I'd like to add french door wall ovens to my list of old-fashioned things we should bring back.

• User
    11 years ago

I was going to post something on-topic but changed my mind. Had to say, Annie, I went to see CSN in concert when I was in high school (in the 1989 range) and I thought they were geezers then! :-) I am surprised to hear they are still touring must admit I'd love to hear them at any age.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    11 years ago

Talk about dated - if we all know the lyrics to a song from, yes, the early 70's, so well that we are laughing at these allusions, and you all can parody it (cleverly, I might add) off the top of your heads, well, then I'd say we're all dating ourselves.

Speak for yourself Ginny20, I for one wasn't born in the 70's and had to look up the lyrics and listen to the song on YouTube to remember the beat, LOL! ;)

So you say they come in Fifty Shades of Gray?
    On just about every page.

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

Ginny20 nailed it about 50 posts ago.

Maybe Builders Grade is just an industry conspiracy to goad us into all wanting to remodel.

Maybe outdated (vs retro) is just someone's attempt to sell a product or a look.

I'm loving this thread. Carly Simon would be flattered.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I just realized how that sounded. That's not what I meant! (I'm blushing) I'm not clever enough for that double entendre. I meant like paint chips.

• mrsmortarmixer
    11 years ago

Beaglesdoitbetter- I was going to quote that and laugh, but decided against it. That is hilarious though.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

In truth, I haven't read that particular trilogy. When I was young, I did read The Story of O (we all read it). I was told that Fifty Shades makes O look like great literature. Any opinions?

(Since you're not going to talk about boys. Or kitchens.)

• melaska
    11 years ago

gra8day...you'd freeze this summer since we're having a very cool & wet summer. After the awful winter, you'd think we'd get a break? *sigh*

But, Valdez on a sunny day is so marvelous - almost makes one forget that winter is just 'round the corner.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

I did actually have a serious comment...until I came to palimpsest's first lyrical post.

When I saw the thread title I thought it must be about an article that someone had read and wanted to share. I was a little surprised by the topic, but even though my kitchen has at least one thing from each of the first few lists, I wasn't offended. I felt that the OP was looking for a discussion, not calling anyone out, not being judgmental.

So, rtwilliams, don't eat worms. :) This has been a fun thread, maybe not what you expected, but it's nice to kick back once in awhile. Hollysprings, thanks for the kind words about my kitchen, which is dated--it must be, as it has elements from at least three different decades.

Oh, and Fifty Shades of Gray...not going there.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I just realized the time here in EDT. Gotta go. Talk amongst yourselves. Good night!

• matti5
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh, you guys are too funny!

I've been a long time lurker and in the process of finalizing our kitchen reno. Can't wait to get started on my dated kitchen!

On a serious note, I want to thank you all for the great tips, ideas and pics that you post. They have helped me tremendously!

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

What a fun thread! And no offense rtwiiliams- I have 3 components you listed and would change two for sure had I had known better:) I went with the norm of my area which meant cabs that end before the ceiling(too hard in earthquake zone of 1950's houses to get an even ceiling I recently learned and my GC didn't see the point of trying silly man), micro hoods since we rarely close any doors around here year round( everyone has them to save space in our smaller homes around here)and even though a few neighbors did counter height and removed the bar top in recent remodels and I love the look, I hate people in my cooking space and wanted the separation. I also wanted the two additional outlets in my prep space. See function trumps aesthetics in my book any day and it should for all the cooks out there! JMHO :)

I definitely think this song is about me, don't you
    Gotta love online Karakoe!

• melaska
    11 years ago

gra8day...you'd freeze this summer since we're having a very cool & wet summer. After the awful winter, you'd think we'd get a break? *sigh*

But, Valdez on a sunny day is so marvelous - almost makes one forget that winter is just 'round the corner.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

What about dating a builder?

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Ginny20, was 'Bewitched' filmed in your kitchen? Talk about the hey-day of cocktails!

Stainless in the 70s was only in restaurant kitchens. Crazy!

Something to keep in mind is all the people who post and ask "is it all right" or "Can I put these two together" or just plain posts asking permission. I've always felt that silly, and I realize they're just asking for confirmation from others (rather than themselves) that they're investing wisely. How many of them are now feeling betrayed (beating chest) that they've been mislead because they've put in the "d" word kitchen..DATED! O.M.G.

Beagles, my jaw dropped.
    And as faro dating a builder? Getting rid of STBX GC? I would rather date a lawyer again. And here in DC, that's bottom fishing. They're only top echelon dating material in their very own pool, where they ego each other on.

My very first concert in 1976 was Pure Prairie League (I think with Vince Gill), and the headliner was Heart. At the Jackson (MI) Raceway. I also think it was one of the first, all-day, burn your butt off, drink too much, sweat like a pig mega-concerts that are the norm now.

My kitchen doesn't fit into any of these categories, although I know all the songs by heart. (Hmmm) I still think it was rather insensitive, but perhaps had the title been different, it wouldn't have appeared so.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

CEFreeman - I wish I had Sam's kitchen - she had a Frigidaire Flair!

The first concert I remember was Jethro Tull. I think it might have been Aqualung. Does anyone play flute in hard rock bands any more?

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I think my first concert was Ricky Nelson at the Santa Clara County Fair. However, the one I brag about was the Beatles at Candlestick Park (1966), their last concert together.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

And this comes from too long ago...a Mom overheard her girls talking about Paul McCartney and Wings, and one girl said, "Did you know Paul used to be with another group?"

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Lurking and loving it! It just gets better. I remember that, Annie. The 'other band' too!

• deedles
    11 years ago

First concert: Santana. 1974. Age 13. Went because DB date dumped him and he had no one to go with.

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

Ginny20 - my mom was always a Jethro Tull fan, and in the last 5 years or so went to a concert at the Montreux festival in Switzerland. She said they were fantastic - no snots running down their noses, greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes....

She got me some Jethro Tull's Christmas CD one year, that it took me quite a while to listen too, being mainly familiar with the song Aqualung ("Sitting on a park bench/Eyeing little girls with bad intent"). But the Christmas CD is great!

• leela4
    11 years ago

Ginny20-The sax player in the Dave Matthews Band plays flute from time to time . . .

You guys are YOUNG (Beagles); first concert was sometime in the late sixties-Peter, Paul and Mary in Philadelphia.

Linelle-I'm totally jealous of your Beatles concert. DH and I were just talking the other day about artists we didn't get to see-Joni Mitchell was on both our lists. He saw Fleetwood Mac and I wish I had, but growing up close to Philadelphia and then SF let me see tons of bands.

Sorry to be so off topic . . .

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

Ian Anderson was still the oversized toad/faun/imp leaping about the stage quite athletically when I saw Tull in concert at Wolf Trap in 2008.

And the Marshall Tucker Band also had a flute player with them in my first concert to go to without adult supervision in mmmmmm70mmmsomething.

How about violins in rock bands? I've seen Kansas in concert 5x, with the last time being front row center. Always a great show, and it adds a cool dimension to the sound. "All kitchens are just dust in the wind....."

On topic.

A certain sign of builders grade kitchen is a pitiful recirculating range hood/OTR in new build or an actual home. Apartments and condos don't count here, as they are built on a massive scale to builder's grade standards without thinking at all about ventilation or a host of other neglected functional aspects. Who plans a SFH without proper ventilation? About 80% of new builds around here do, and it's sad because it really isn't that difficult or expensive to do when you're building. (They've also been known to terminate bath fans in the attic, which is a total code violation that they seldom get called on it seems.)

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

Peter, Paul, and Mary at the Hollywood Bowl around 1969, last row in the bowl, furthest from the stage. They were great. We had tickets to see them at Lawrence Welk (?!!!) a couple of years ago, but Mary got sick and the concert was cancelled. Bummers.

My 30-something son told us that he and his friends were mutually embarrassed when they discovered they all knew the words to all the Carpenters songs. What we sang to our kids in their cradles, and sing-alongs in the car! And then there's my then 3 (now 4) year old grandson who wanted me to play Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds on the car radio. He didn't understand why I didn't have that on tap - Daddy does.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

1965 - Stones at the San Jose Civic Auditorium. Opening act = the Byrds.
    1966 - Dylan (SJ Civic)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Don't remember the year, but it was Seals & Crofts who were on with Anne Murray and Jonathan Edwards...remember him?

And whose songs do you first remember from your parents' music. I remember my bro and I dancing around as young 'uns to the Andrew Sisters....

• blfenton
    11 years ago

My kids couldn't understand why I knew the words to some of "their" songs. It's because they were either remixes of "my" songs or re-releases of songs from my era. Monkees or Neil Diamond or .... They were shocked, incredulous, dismayed to learn that some of their songs were originally mine.

First concert Chicago, best concert Elton John. I originally thought that Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was Lucy in Disguise with Diamonds.

• leela4
    11 years ago

GreenDesigns-
    Again-Dave Matthews Band has a kick-a$$ violin player. And a guy who plays trumpet. All part of the regular band. Yeah we're old but still groupies.

I remember when Chicago first became popular and it was so novel to see horns in a rock band.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Always sorry I didn't see Genesis with Peter Gabriel and also Queen. Did see Pink Floyd "Animals" at the old Brewer Stadium in Milwaukee...1978-ish. Probably the best concert I ever attended although Supertramp was pretty close.
    Large pink pig exploded right over our heads and concert promoter guy made a PSA about staying away from the bad blotter acid with an eyeball on it.
    Can you imagine?
    (no, I wasn't one of the many in the crowd dismayed at that announcement)

• gregincal
    11 years ago

Yes, Annie, re Paul. These days it's "Why's there an old guy in the olympic ceremony, did he used to be somebody?"

On the other hand, some kids are totally into old music via the internet. I have nieces and nephews that only listen to stuff from 25-50 years ago.

• melaska
    11 years ago

Beatles concert at the Indiana State Fair - 1964. I was just beside myself with frenzy :) I had every Beatle gum card - sure wish I knew where the cards are, now.

Herman's Hermits
    Neil Diamond (I saw him at the airport, too.)

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Carole King was my favorite. I worshipped her--secretly still do.

And I did see Joni Mitchell in St. Louis in the early 80s at a small venue in St. Louis. She was fabulous and tiny.

I fell in love with my first love dancing to Colour My World by Chicago. Still love them.

About this thread. Some version of it pops up about once or twice a year and it always turns ugly and offensive. How could it not?

• lakeaffect
    11 years ago

Oh, the YSV lyrics crack me up, and come to think of it, lots do Carly's songs could work.....

Older Sister

She flies through her white kitchen, she's an OTK sister,
    She throws French toile around the room
    She's got marble and polished nickel too
    She's wicked to all the tile dealers who'll later
    Boast of doing her whole backsplash...
    Oh but to be, I'd like to be....an OTK sister....

Sandyponder

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

melaska - I do know what happened to my Beatles gum cards! In a fit of pure 13 year old charity, I donated them to an orphanage for Christmas. It was a wrench to let them go as they were still all the thing and I treasured them, but I figured some kid would never have any if someone like me didn't share. I didn't even remember there was such a thing until you mentioned it.

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

1st concert, Peter, Paul, and Mary. Small venue, very personal. A lifetime ago.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Staring at my marble just to pass the time
    There's something wrong here, there can be no denying
    One of us is changing
    Or maybe it just stopped shining

And it's too late, baby, now it's too late
    Though I really did try to seal it
    That poor wretch has etched
    And you can see it and you can feel it

It used to be so easy living here with you
    You were light and veiny and I thought you looked so cool
    Now you look all splotchy and I feel like a fool

And it's too late, marble, now it's too late
    Though I really did try to seal you
    You're all scratched and etched
    And I can see it and I can feel you

There'll be good times again for me and you
    But we just can't stay together, don't you feel it, too
    Still I'm glad for what we had and how I once loved you

And it's too late, baby, now it's too late
    Though we really did try to make it
    Something inside has died
    And I can't hide and I just can't fake it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Good one Marcolo!

• ginny20
    11 years ago

A guy I knew in high school - a normal, honor roll, good kid - said he went to Woodstock with his older brother. I'm pretty sure he was telling the truth. Woodstock was 1969, so this guy had to have been about 14. My DS is now 14. I have to ask myself two(rhetorical)questions: how cool is it that he was at Woodstock, and what were his parents thinking?

Although melaska and linelle seeing the Beatles, that may beat out even Woodstock! And less muddy.

Oh, and DS explained to me that Jethro Tull isn't "hard rock" it's "classic rock." I explained to her that they weren't "classic" yet when I saw them. Reminded me of the line from the hilarious song "1985," "When did Moltey Crue become classic rock?" which segue allows me to go sort of back on topic.

Debby just hit the wall
    She never had it all
    She wanted stainless steel
    Just couldn't make the deal
    She wanted Shaker doors
    And Brazilian cherry floors
    1200 cfm fan
    What happened to her plan?
    She was gonna get some marble,
    Backsplash of subway tile,
    She was gonna put in drawers,
    Pull outs with lots of style.
    Her UCL LED
    Is just a fantasy
    She looks at her fluorescent lights
    And nothing is all right
    It's still
    Coil stove, tile counters
    and over-the-range Microwave,
    Oak cabinets, partial overlay
    And double sink with separate spray.
    The kitchen design rules,
    They tell her that she's uncool,
    Cause her kitchen still looks like...

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Oh Marcolo,, you just stole my heart.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Ginny, ROTFL! Better than the 1,985 other "1985" parody songs.

• rosie
    11 years ago

It used to be so easy living here with you,
    you became old and sleazy,
    but I knew just what to do--
    grab a paintbrush and make you new.
    Now there's something wrong here,
    one of us is changing,
    soapstone, Ann Sachs, Poggenpohl,
    and I just can't fake it.
    It used to be so easy living here with you.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

My backsplash is ruined from the start
    All the sweet tiles have lost their spark
    Someone used off-white grout, and it stained
    And I don't think I can fix it,
    'Cause it took so long to mix it
    And I'll never have that recipe again, oh no

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Thanks, marcolo, you're sweet. Even if you don't like squirrels.

I find these parodies so amusing I tried to share them with my DD (sorry, I mistyped before, not a DS). She asked me if none of us have anything better to do. Uh....no!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County