Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schicksal_gw

Sliding Pantry Doors - Two or Three?

schicksal
9 years ago

I'm trying to decide between two sliding doors for the pantry vs. three. Interestingly, the sliding door provider mentioned that three costs more but that they still recommended two. Maybe they're right? I guess with three I might end up pushing more than one around a lot...

Here's an older picture of the area. The opening is about 7' wide and the width inside is closer to 9'.

Comments (12)

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

If you do 3, can they be fully stacked? Are they all on separate tracks? That would be my preference. Each door would be about 29" (wider than 1/3 for overlap), and you can slide it all the way open for a 55" opening to get at stuff inside.

2 doors means each one is over 42" wide, which is a massive door, but gives you less open space when it's open.

And I am so happy to see more progress on your house! I was wondering where you went. :)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Schicksal, what kind of doors are you getting? I ask because we have a coat closet with the same issue. I do agree with amberm.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I also agree with Amber. I'd prefer 3, if they stack.

• schicksal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've been laying low for the most part while I work on things, and I also have a craftsman as a rental that's in between tenants. It's unbelievable but someone overloaded the roof with supplies and caused it to collapse last week so I have spent a lot of time meeting with lawyers, engineers and the city to figure out how to move forward.

Three would be on separate tracks. It's odd to me that a supplier would recommend an option that costs less. I can see both options having their own advantages and disadvantages.

Two doors mean a lot less opening and closing of individual doors. Slide it once all the way to the left or right and you've got it. With three I envisioned a larger overall opening, but there is a greater chance someone would need to move two doors to find and get what they want so you're interacting with the doors more often. If you start with the middle and want something on the left/right ends you do have a larger problem zone (have to step back and move two doors out of the way).

Doors would be opaque white glass with a white frame. The nature of the glass would impart a bit of a bluish tint, which I plan on coordinating the backsplash with. That will be 12x4 glass tiles in a stacked pattern.

The supplier is (below)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sliding door co.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

I'd go with two doors. I put an Ikea Pax system in my condo kitchen as a pantry. The unit is approximately 79" x 79" with two glass doors nearly 40" wide. It functions great as a pantry and the doors are easy to slide, though I can't imagine the difficulties of juggling three to get at what's needed. Here's a bad photo that only shows one side. Excuse the kitchen-it's next on my DIY list.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

Another vote for two. I think three door bi-pass get too busy looking, and also are not as user friendly...

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Yup, two. There will be a lot more sliding of doors with three, plus it is a sleeker look for your uber awesome kitchen.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

Our last home had a similar sized pantry that we had two sets of doors (standard out swinging doors, not sliding) installed. It also allowed us to reinforce the long shelves in the middle between the doors (no sagging shelves).

I found it extremely easy to use the pantry. I kept canned goods on one side and miscellaneous on the other. The set of doors were probably 36 to 40 inches each. I think they might be easier to use than sliding doors. It certainly was easy to see everything.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

2 doors will be massive. my whole pantry is 42" W. I had the sliders removed. hate them!
    In yours tho I'd go 2 using 1 side for food products and the other for paper products, small appls, picnic ware, massive cooking items (like for canning), large supplies of soda (or other items) bought on sale.

I put food stuff on the left of my pantry and other items on the right (only because in the summer the right side doesn't stay as cool).

I'd prefer 2 doors opening outward but if I can't have that I'm eyeing 2 full size shutters on a barn door type slide for mine.

I really like the 2 sets of double doors pic's above.

• practigal
    9 years ago

Are you absolutely committed to sliding doors? Will they only hang from the ceiling such that you won't have to worry about dirt in the tracks on the floor? My experience has been that whatever I want is always behind the other panel (and that the tracks look awful after a while). Swinging doors are so much easier... You could even install swinging door bookcases and stash your cookbook collection right there.

• schicksal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks - lots of things to think about!

This evening I'm going to look a little more into how we use the pantry. We talked yesterday about how with two doors you could be basically guaranteed that you guess the right door but with three it would be a bit more of a challenge. I'm assuming that the hardware would have something that would make the middle door want to stay in the right place if we went with three, otherwise adjusting that all the time would get old fast.

I do have two spare Miele square design handles I was unable to return that could be used as pulls if we have two doors...