Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minette99

New Small Kitchen Pics~ Enjoy :)

minette99
15 years ago

I love looking at everyone's pics here and I love that so many folks share them, so I thought I'd share mine! Newly done, very old home (1926). I wanted an old-and-new feel and well, IMHO, I feel I have it... the old feel was mostly achieved with the tumbled marble tiled backsplash that I had done up, inside and all around the large window over the sink. After it was all completed, I debated -- agonized -- if I should tile the second larger window too and -- finally decided to do it.

I was the designer -- ACK! I was the GC -- ACK! All around decision maker, etc. Thanks to a wonderful contractor who really guided me away from insanity, I think we're just about finished. Everything is new except the micro (good for now.)

It's neither perfect nor grand, but it really makes me smile a whole lot! :)

I hope you don't mind my pics and that this is OK to do!

The SS dishwasher is hidden in the island, facing the sink. I bought a 19" cabinet pull and had it mounted on the side of the island for a towel rack.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

On the wall adjacent to the pantry (not pictured) I had a 15" flat screen tv mounted! I decided not to put filler above the fridge so I can keep cutting boards there and a big hunk of marble I use for baking.

{{!gwi}}

Oh and while we were at it, I also redid a half bath off the kitchen. If you look in the mirror you can see a stained glass panel I had made to cover the window enough for privacy while letting in the light. I might do just a wee bit of tiling in there, too!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (44)

• katybuggs
    15 years ago

Fabulous! You did a wonderful job, congratulations! I love the countop and the way it looks with your gorgeous cabinets
    KT

• josie724
    15 years ago

Excellent job, you were designer, and GC? Great work. It really looks beautiful.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Congratulations! I like to see that smaller kitchens can turn out looking every bit as sharp as the mcmanskitchens!

• claybabe
    15 years ago

I love the look, with a punch of black and sparkle for the counter tops, the lovely cabinets, a bit of brick, and the tile around the windows. But I really love how the island serves the rest of the kitchen in so many ways: Prep zone, fridge landing, hiding the dishwasher in a convenient location, and it beckons me in for a cup of something while I sit in a sunny window. Great job!

• Laurie
    15 years ago

Everything looks great! I especially like your backsplash and I can sort of see from one of the pictures how you went around the larger second window and I think it looks really good!
    Love your pretty faucet, as well : )

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

Love it! Tell us more - what are the dimensions of your kitchen?

I love the tile around that sink window. Very pretty. Your overall feel is a warm and lovely kitchen that looks like the heart of a home.

anita

• lascatx
    15 years ago

Looks very nice -- I can see the 1920's house -- about the same age as my first house and still one of my favorites.

What I don't understand is a refernce to having considered a pot filler over the fridge????

• mcr1
    15 years ago

wood filler not pot filler

• minette99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you SO very much for all of your kind words! I so appreciate every post! Especially after all the hard work and decisions -- as many of you have lived through!

Yes, the island is a great "landing pad" in this small kitchen -- you can land on the island from anywhere or anything you're doing :)

Yes, I was the designer, tho I'm no designer :) I have about 500 sketches laying around -- probably 250 for just the backsplash! Ha! Finally, my contractor, a wonderful experienced European with a gorgeous accent suggested... "maybe we go classico, eh? Big beautiful window ... I see the marble going up, up, up... is like this a lot in Europe; is nice old look." I stumbled on a picture online of that and I was hooked. Yes, go UP, inside, around! Many, many, many sketches later... Came home from work the night he finished it and when I first saw it, I got all choked up! Really!

Thank you all again for your delightful comments! Here is a pic of the other window that I forgot to post. A tumbled marble shelf will be going about 12" below the print, right of window. The print is of Cafe Flore in Paris, which I purchased at the Cafe Flore! :)

{{!gwi}}

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

Looks great and very functional for it's size as well. Love how you saved countersapce by hanging the utensils next to the stove.

May you have many happy times and create happy memories in it.

• User
    15 years ago

Oh wow...I just love it. Please show the brick...I am a sucker for old houses and yours is so very special. I immediately thought of a "starry night" when I saw the countertops. I wonder if they would call it that. It makes me smile to see your lovely interpretation of old and new. You are a terrific designer. c

• minette99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

NoMoreBlueKitchen - Thank you! :) I hope the below answers help! :)

The kitchen is about 12x14. What you don't see is additional area where this a basement door (directly across from back door you see in last recent pic I posted). Next to the basement door is another (OLD) pantry/broom closet that holds vacuum, broom, mop and has several upper shelves in it where I put extra canned goods and cat food. Beyond that pantry comes the half bath.

My total renovation came to about $20,000.00 as follows:

SS appliances - Fridge, Range, Dishwasher....................$3,000.00
    Porcelain tile floor - labor and tile.................................$3,500.00
    KitchenMaid Cabinets....................................................$4,000.00
    Black Galaxy Granite Counter and Island........................$2,800.00
    Install recessed lighting, fixtures and mount TV............$1,500.00
    Remove old cabinets and install new cabinets................$2,000.00
    Botticino tumbled marble tile.........................................$500.00
    Backsplash labor, remove window trims, tile...................$1,000.00
    Remove wallpaper, skim coat, paint walls and ceiling.....$900.00
    Cabinet hardware...........................................................$100.00
    Purchase, install 3 new wood paneled doors, glass door knobs......$$750.00
    (Basement door, 2nd pantry door, bathroom door)

• donna214
    15 years ago

So very pretty and warm and inviting. I LOVE the stained glass in your powder room. What an awesome job!

• minette99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trailrunner, thank you! :)

When you say "Starry Night" are you referring to the print by VanGogh? I have that print and it is being framed this week!

The granite is called 'Black Galaxy." At night under the light, it looks like a brilliant night sky. It is more sedate in day light. I mentioned on another thread that at night, my kitchen looks like it's wearing a "little black dress!"

The brick is actually the chimney that runs up from the basement and through the roof... gotta love old houses! :) I will get a pic for you.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I love what you've done with the tile and how well you designed the space. Every inch counts :) And it's beautiful too. Nice work!

• User
    15 years ago

Minette...any chance you are in Bay Minette ?? We have an 1890 home and I did as you did. Hundreds of pieces of graph paper and hours spent designing and erasing. I have never done it before and won't again!! LOL> I love all that you did. It was inspired to tile around the window. I love the "old world" look and can just hear your man saying this to you.

Yes I was referring to Van Gogh. I was lucky enough to see that painting this summer when I was in NYC. What a wonderful scene.

And your description of a " little black dress"....well spare and chic and just right for all occasions...just the description that fits your space.

Pics of your whole house would be lovely too. I never get enough of looking at old houses. :) You can link to my pics on My Page as well as my e-mail.c

• morton5
    15 years ago

Beautiful! What sink did you use? Is it a D-shape?

• minette99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Morton, thank you! Yes it is a D sink by Elkay.

• howling_angel
    15 years ago

wow.... you did a wonderful job. your kitchen is beautiful!!

what color/brand is the paint?

• fran1523
    15 years ago

You did a wonderful job working in your small space. Actually the kitchen would be a winner anywhere. I love the cabinet style.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Great job! I love the how the black works with the more natural colors. I too would love to see photos of the brick. Glad you didn't cover it up. Congratulations!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen and bath! You must be so proud. It is gorgeous. Love the choices you made. Congrats! Great job.

• User
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing pictures of your beautiful new kitchen. Congratulations on a great job!

• minette99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you again, so much! I'm blushing! :) I am really happy with it and your comments make me even happier! Very sweet of all of you!

Because you asked, I'm adding pic of the brick chimney that houses the fridge on one side. The chimney also butts the entry to the dining room. Also including a pic of the other area as viewed from the stove/window side. I have some trim work to finish :) But as you'll see in the pic, I really wanted something different as you view to the bath straight ahead... so I chose the stained glass window panel which is very hard to shoot in day or night light!

{{!gwi}}

Door next to the TV is for basement. The next door is the remodeled 2nd pantry/broom closet. It was only 8 inches deep and I really needed deeper so my contractor built it out to 16" new header, new matching door with glass knobs. The bathroom door is same with glass knobs, too. The light fixture matches the chandeliere -- I hate matchy-matchy, but oddly, I just loved this!

{{!gwi}}

• User
    15 years ago

You did a GREAT job! I love the vision you had and how you thought outside of the box. It looks lovely, absolutely lovely!

• janran
    15 years ago

Wonderful job! I love everything, especially the backsplace. I don't see any outlets on it - did you use plugmold?

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

Minette, I forgot to ask about your vanity. Did you buy it or have it made? I have a tiny powder room off my kitchen and I'd love to put a great looking vanity in there to dress it up. Yours would be smashing in there.

Anita

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

What a great kitchen! My house is about the same age, built in '23 but the kitchen is smalle. I am envious that you had enough room for an island! Everything is just beautiful.

• minette99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Janran, thank you!

Yes, there are two outlets on the backsplash -- one is hidden behind the glass cookie jar and the other is hidden behind the coffee maker :)
    Another reason why accessories rock!

Nomoreblue -- I bought that vanity; came with the sink. It's Pegasus. Don't remember where I bought it though -- was over a year ago, sat in the garage until I was ready for the work to start!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Waht an awesome job you did! It might be small in size (and 12 X 14 is not THAT small BTW!), but not small in details!!!

• annes_arbor
    15 years ago

Just beautiful. The arch above the window is perfect. And the exposed brick really adds character.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I love the renovations you did to your kitchen. Your kitchen is very beautiful and I hope my kitchen which is about your size will look as nice one day when I am ready to renovate it.

Where did you buy the glass door knobs that I love and would look great in my bedroom. I wish I had doors in my ktichen to use them there also.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and what everything cost to help others.

• spotted_towhee
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful!

The colors, cabs, countertops, everything! I love the way you did the above cab molding, too, as well as the molding above your window!

(and the bird feeder outside was great; what kind of birds stop by?)

• minette99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trailrunner -- No, I am not in Bay Minette.. where is that? I got to see lots of VanGogh last fall on a trip to Paris! In fact, I unknowingly stumbled into his doorway. When I stood up from my tumble, there was a plaque on the wall that said Van Gogh lived there with his brother and the dates. I was shocked that I literally stumbled into that! I might even hang the VG print on the chimney -- will see if it works there...

Lynn2006 --Thanks for your comments! I bought the glass doorknobs at Home Expo. They are Baldwin and they come in different shapes and finishes. They are a bit pricy though. I think they were $60. or $65. But I really love the look.. I am slowly replacing all of my interior doors (ugly slabs) and the knobs to glass.

Spotted towhee -- Thank you! Ah, the bird feeder! It came with the house when I moved in 4 years ago. It is attached to a horrid aluminum awning that I wanted to remove, but I don't have the heart. There are always baby birds in there, all year! It's amazing watching the feedings. I don't know what kind they are but they're awfully sweet. The awning is small and on the side of the house so I'm just leaving it till I figure something out.

• minette99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Annes Arbor -- thanks... I love the arch over the window, too!

• User
    15 years ago

It is in Alabama, on the coast. I am in Alabama and with this being hurricane season that area was on my mind. I am glad you are not there !

Yes I agree that the picture is the result of an omen for you to buy it. :) How fortuitous. I will look forward to seeing more pics. Outside ?? Other rooms ? I love the bath reno too BTW. The stained glass was inspired. c

• minette99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trailrunner - I'll have to sort out my photos and post them! Thanks about the bath reno! It was so horrible before that I didn't even use it since moving in -- stored brooms and mops and such and kept the door closed. I couldn't even bare a "before" photo.
    I did the stained glass because you have a long straight view to that window from the kitchen, I really wanted something different and nice to see ahead if the door was opened. It is even better than I thought -- in different lights there are different effects...

• minette99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trailrunner! Just looking at your kitchen pics! Jaw dropping! Absolutely gorgeous. I'm guessing you have a Craftsman? OMG! LOVE your kitchen -- amazing! I bow to you and so appreciate all your comments on mine :)

• minette99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Spotted Towhee -- Thanks about the moulding -- that was actually one of the hardest things to choose -- too many choices. I tried to do it "simple" yet really highlight the window... my mom says I accomplished that but I also highlighted the ugly awning outside - ha! :) Oh well, as I said, "not perfect!" :P

• User
    15 years ago

Ah minette you are very generous in your praise. We have a bungalow. It has some Queen Anne trim at the front on the "two sisters" where the roof peaks. I am pleased with the way our renos have turned out. There are like you said "not perfect". I have a stained glass door that we mounted in the stairwell. It is in one of the photo folders on photobucket. You are right that the light coming through as the day passes os so nice. I love to look at the changing colors on the floor of the foyer.

Anytime you feel like posting pics I would love to see. You have a gem. Where are you located ? c

• na_praha
    15 years ago

Minette, I'd love to know what the distances are from your sink, fridge, etc. to your island. You've done a great job with a small space! Looks terrific.

• minette99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Trailrunner - I have a bungalow too! A little ranch bungalow; about 1300 sq. ft. I will try to post some pics of it this week. I'm in NY, not far from NYC. I don't know if she's a gem -- maybe a semi-precious stone :)
    I love your marble coffee bar! I am now thinking of a marble shelf to the right of the second (big) window about a foot under the print on the wall. I am a coffee freak so I have various pots -- a french press, an espresso maker for the stove and then another small espresso machine with frother. I'd like to put them all on the marble shelf with cups -- all within reach and easy to just pick which kind of coffee and pot I want to use...

Or I might put a completely different wall cabinet there with glass doors. I'm undecided and tired of making decisions and there's no rush.

I just love marble though... love it to bits!

• minette99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Na Praha -- Thanks! :)

Here are the distances...

From sink to island ........ 32 in.

From oven to island ...... 30 in.

From Fridge to island .......28 in.

From Large side window (non-sink side) to island... 18.5 in.

I'm sure I've broken some rules, maybe all :) but it works very well for me and is very comfortable. I really need the large work space to lay everything out and do prep. And if two of us are there,one can comfortably work at any of 3 sides away from the sink/oven side while the other is at the stove.

• User
    15 years ago

minette !! Have you seen our NYC get togethers ??? We would LOVE to have you join us. I will be back there Oct 22 -Nov 5. Let's try to get together. c

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!