Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jj1150

Copper Farmhouse Sinks: Rounded or Flat apron???

Jody
13 years ago

The first step to my *mini* kitchen redo is getting a Copper Farmhouse Sink!!! So many things to consider for just a sink!!!!

I have found a few online sites that will custom make my farmhouse sink in an 8 inch depth .... YEA!!!

NOW, while I like the look of the ROUNDED SINKS (vs. just a flat apron), does anybody actually have one of these??? And so, what are your thoughts on them???

And if you like that look, but didn't *buy* that look, why not???

Hoping I can get this sink ordered in a day or two and won't have to keep posting questions retaining to the gorgeous copper sinks!!!!

thanks!!!

jody

Comments (10)

• steff_1
    13 years ago

I do have the rounded front copper sink and love it. It's best if you can plan to have it pushed forward to show off the the sides. The front of the sink at the top of the curve is 29" from the wall and the sides are about 3" from the cabinet face. The sides curve around full height and stop about 3.5" back so you can support it from the underside. You will need to build a frame before installing the countertops.

If you have an island or narrow kitchen make sure you have room for the curve. The deck at the back of the sink is 9" deep.

I posted one picture on your other thread, but I'll add some detail photos here. Mine is 10" deep, I did consider the 8" but ended up going with the deeper and will use shorter doors from a bathroom vanity to replace the original ones which were in bad shape. This one is undermounted, but you will probably need to flush mount an 8" deep sink with the counter if you are trying to limit modifications to the existing sink cabinet.

The sink and cabinet before

Yuck, glad it's gone!

The modified cabinet with 2x4 frame for the sink. We did have to cut a 1/2" off the face frame to fit the sink.

Test fitting the sink around midnight before the new counters arrived in the morning. The flange of the sink needs to fit over the top of the 2x4 frame along with the sides slipping back enough to hide the edges so you have to plan the placement of the screws not to interfere with the sink.

Detail of the granite rounded to show the top of the sink. This required a lot of thought and negotiating with the granite crew because if the granite goes straight you would have an odd shaped gap there.

The installed sink and faucet --Yay!

There's a lot more to do to finish the cabinet, but I'm really pleased with the result so far.

• kiwilee
    13 years ago

I just received my copper sink, very similar to the pictures posted. It is a farmhouse rounded front. Mine is being installed this week so I don't know yet how the rounded will look. But I appreciate the tips on the rounded edges for the granite!

I can't wait to see it all together! I debated too over the rounded vs flat. And what made my decision was I am doing a rounded island top as well and thought that would be nice.

Good luck!

• Jody
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steff 1 .... thanks SO MUCH for all your help!!! And the pictures are great ... especially showing the framework for the sink. I, too, will be installing in existing cabinetry ... and so hoping my carpenter can figure out what to do here. I think I will print your pictures and show him ... they are so helpful.

And this week I hope to get this sink ordered. Several places have said they could make this for me in an 8 inch depth. I just need a little time to check out each one and see what price they offer me.

Thanks again :)

• prill
    13 years ago

I didn't do a copper sink, but I did retrofit an existing cabinet for a fireclay apron front sink. Here is the support system my carpenter added.

after

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Need to add that my granite is the 2CM with 4CM edge. If yours is 3CM, then it will be slightly different at that point but you can still use mine to give them ideas of what you want. I really wanted that sink curve to show from the top and they usually just go straight there.

jjean - so glad you found the pics helpful. I really tried to document the process as much as possible so I could help someone in the future. I had no idea it would be needed just a week later!

prill - Your kitchen looks great. I hope my painted cabinets look as good as yours when they're done.

• Jody
    Original Author
    13 years ago

drachiele ~ thanks for the above advise. I would not have given a thought to *ease of use* when deciding on a rounded or flat front. Makes sense tho ~ so now I think I will concentrate on looking for one with just the flat front :)

• steff_1
    13 years ago

It really depends on where you place the faucet and what type of faucet you get.

Notice that we have placed the faucet handle in the front and it is actually closer to me when I work than the old sink with the faucet lever on top of the faucet. I don't have to reach for the faucet at all and find that the dishes are closer to me now than they were before when the counter ran in front of the sink. I also like having 2" extra room at the front of the rounded sink to pile more dishes in there and can easily reach everything.

Not trying to talk you into or out of anything. For us it was a matter of wanting this sink and liking the way the sink looked with the rounded front.

• Jody
    Original Author
    13 years ago

steff 1 .... I also LOVE the look of the rounded farmhouse sinks. Still haven't bought mine yet. I seem to be going in circles on this remodel. Now I am back to looking for the *perfect* granite!!! LOL ~ I know it's out there!!!

I did order my faucets. Not a pull down. It is a french country style faucet by Fusion Hardware with a side sprayer. I figured I've always had that side spray and never minded it; and i loved the look of this faucet ... so I ordered it last week.

So after I obsess about granites for awhile more ... I'll be back to lookig for a sink. Yours looks really nice! Love the stars!

jody

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Congratulations on getting your faucet choice down.

Try some tests when you get your faucet just to make sure the reach is not a problem. You have to consider your own reach and what works for you.

Oh the granite choice! I remember obsessing for months. Then one day I walked into the showroom and Cosmic Black just jumped out as the choice.

We live in Texas and have a Hill Country style house with native Limestone inside and out. The stars were a no brainer as soon as I saw the sink. I'm working on a Limestone backsplash with matching Copper star tile inserts. We'll see if I can pull it off and get the stone yard to supply a small amount of thin veneer Limestone. Right now my backsplash is a dishtowel to keep water off the bare drywall.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus