Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreamichel

granite is hazy after sealing

andreamichel
14 years ago

I used Miracle Seal and Enhance One Step on my slate floors. I was so pleased with the results, I tried it on a section of my granite countertop.

At first it looked great, but now there are hazy, smeary spots. What do I do next? Thanks.

Comments (6)

• azstoneconsulting
    14 years ago

get a clean dry cloth and buff off the haze... if that does not work,
    put a little more of the sealer on a clean cloth, wipe over the areas that
    are hazy, then buff it immediately with a clean dry cloth.

what you are seeing is a residue being left on the surface - buffing removes
    the excess, and once it is buffed off - everything should look great...

hth

kevin

• stonegirl
    14 years ago

What granite do you have?

The haze you see is from sealer residue on the surface of the stone. You did not do a good enough job of buffing (removing) the sealer after application and the excess sealer remained on the surface. Most likely your granite had no benefit from the enhancer anyway.

There are a few ways to remove the sealer - you could either get in there and scrape it up with a single edge razor, try to find a solvent that would remove the sealer (phone the Miracle customer support line to find out what they recommend), or try to re-emulsify the sealer with some sealer.

This might sound counter productive, but quite often it works just fine with solvent based sealers. Take a rag, soak it with some sealer and rub it on a small area of dull granite. Quickly, with a clean, lint-free rag, buff the re-emulsified sealer until all traces of the residue has been removed. Repeat this process until all sealer residue is removed. Do this in small, manageable areas so that you have control of the removal process. If you work in too large areas, the sealer will dry before you can get to buff off the residue.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to remove excess sealer, and elbow grease remains the main ingredient of any removal process.

If you could identify your stone, we could try to determine if you even needed sealing to begin with. Was there any particular reason you wanted to enhance the stone, bar the fact that your slate looked nice after you enhanced it? Was your granite dull and dingy before you sealed it?

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Also, try buffing with 000 or 0000 steel wool (try it in an inconspicuous area first). Unless your stone is really prone to scratching very easily, it shouldn't harm it at all (according to our granite guys).

• andreamichel
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your advice. I will try that. My granite is Crema Bordeaux. It looks pretty good after three years. I had the impression that periodic sealing is useful, but maybe I should just leave it alone.

• Flo Zink
    7 years ago

HI:. Well, I just had a professional instal our granite..He sealed it before he left and told me NOT to wipe it off until the morning... Well, I was excited to wipe it off and it is on there like paint... I cannot get it off... It looks like someone used a dirty rag and wiped down my counter.. It's horrible.. I am so upset.. CAlled the company back and no response at this time.. Mine is LINEN from Brazil...

• lisadlu16
    7 years ago

Keep calling him!