Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jellyben_gw

White or SS appliances?

jellyben
9 years ago

We are changing the countertops out so my initial thought was to start switching over to SS from white, starting with a new cooktop. But truth be told, I don't necessarily mind the white. I worry that SS would be a little too in-your-face. The granite will be light. I would love some thoughts!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (13)

• ardcp
    9 years ago

we changed from white to ss as well but i hope to sell in the next 5 years so for me it was about resale.
    personally i hate ss. hard to keep clean, dents easily (i have 2 dents in my 9 month old frig and 1dent in my 2 month old stove) but in my area it is a huge plus for resale.
    keep the white if you like it and resale isn't a concern

• northcarolina
    9 years ago

It can sometimes be hard to find what you want in white (for example, an induction stove). SS has become the default in some appliance lines, with white being relegated to budget models. This is unfortunate because I like white too and I think it fits better with some kitchen styles than SS. On the other hand, sleek modern white Euro-style appliances might start showing up more over here; that would be nice.

In my opinion, SS is a neutral. It doesn't stick out like a sore thumb in my white kitchen, possibly because I'm so used to seeing it everywhere else. Our SS range doesn't get too smudgy, and our new SS fridge has some kind of finish that keeps it from getting fingerprints (may not be "true" SS but I don't really care).

I'd say look for a lot of photos online for kitchens with your countertop and cabinet colors, and see how you like the way the appliances look in them.

Personally I don't mind having both white and SS appliances at the same time. We still have our white DW, which I actually prefer because it blends into the cabs a lot better than a SS one would. There is no blending in a fridge anyway (at least not the kind we have), and our new SS one looks better than the old yellowing textured-front white one did. But our particular fridge may not have come in white anyway.

This post was edited by northcarolina on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 11:54

• jellyben
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully you could see my kitchen pic above-for some reason I saw it when I previewed my post but now don't see it!

• julieste
    9 years ago

Yes, the photo is missing.

I had the same dilemma, and I have always preferred white. We now have two new appliances in stainless--a Wolf range and an ASKO dishwasher--and two older white appliances (fridge & walloven/microwave). I have become used to the stainless we have, but, even though I have top quality stainless that is supposed to show fewer marks, it is definitely more of a pain to keep clean than white appliances. To me, one of the biggest problems in making this decision is that many of the nicer appliances only come in stainless. Your choices are definitely more limited if you want to stick with white. And, many of today's white appliances (unless you really go top of the line brands) IMO look fairly cheap and tacky.

• jellyben
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trying again with the photo.

Thanks again for the feedback! Leaning toward getting the cooktop in SS with the plan to slowly switch over.

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

I would have never bought ss if white were available in the appliances I picked out. SS is so much work to keep nice looking, And now new white appliances options are coming out. I would get the cooktop and keep your other appliances.
    Diane

• cevamal
    9 years ago

We both really dislike SS and stuck with white. Zero regrets 9m later!

• bpath
    9 years ago

We have white DW and fridge that blend in with the wite cabinets, and the wall oven is stainless. It doesn't stick out to much since its cabinet is surrounded by open space. In your kitchen, I think stainless would look better in the brick surround, but you could do anything you like elsewhere. Actually bisque would look good, but it's almost impossible to find.

• arkansas girl
    9 years ago

I hate to say it(because I'm not a big fan of SS) but in your kitchen, I think SS would look best.

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

I agree with Arkansas_girl and believe SS would look much better than white in your kitchen, especially against the brick.

• jellyben
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. The DW ended up breaking over the weekend, which forced our hand a bit, and we decided to go with SS. So we will have SS cooktop/hood and DW, with wall oven and fridge to follow. I came to the conclusion that the pop from the SS might prevent this kitchen from being a little too drab! We shall see...

• Ellen1234
    9 years ago

Just as an FYI for the future --- As recommended by others on GW, I use Weiman SS wipes or spray followed by a microfiber cloth to keep the new SS appliances clean -- very easy to do.

• jellyben
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Ellen1234!