Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
isabelscott_gw

'cannot in good concsience sell me soapstone'???!!!

isabelscott
12 years ago

went to pick out our soapstone counters yesterday and the woman told me she could not in good conscience sell me soapstone.... I had my heart set on soapstone I LOVE it!!!

I have three young kids and may have to rent our home out in a couple of years. My husband is in the military so we move a lot. The reason we are redoing the kitchen is that our last tenants left our home uninhabitable... we had to gut it. Please tell me if soapstone would be a bad option for someone with small children. Also will the soapstone be okay if we have tenants who do not take care of it. Why does she think granite would be so much better? I hate shiny granite I have a 200 year old house that we renovated to look historic. I really want soapstone...HELP

Comments (25)

• User
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Just my opinion but if you have tenants that leave your home " uninhabitable" , they can destroy ANY countertop material LOL. Granite, concrete...you name it.

My suggestion if you know you are going to have to leave your home again is to check and recheck your tenants and have someone managing the property while you are gone. The other suggestion is to use inexpensive, attractive materials until such time that you will be living in the home on a full time basis.

Look at the current thread " my slabs are in " ....he uses gorgeous black laminate . There are lots of ways to remodel w/in a strict budget. I sure wouldn't spend large amounts at the present time. Wait and make it pretty for now and do the real remodel when you will be there to insure the longevity of the materials you use.

I can't stress enough to watch out who you rent to next :) c

• ptamom
    12 years ago

I was told the same thing at a big box store. Honestly, they take some classes and that is all they know. Very cookie cutter info. Sure it is softer and will mark, but it shouldn't etch and can handle heat. I see so many beautiful soapstone kitchens in this forum with thrilled owners. Deal with someone who deals specifically with soapstone. They will have a better knowedge of each specific stone type. We chose something else only because our style took a contemporary turn. Good luck!

• senator13
    12 years ago

If you look at the theads on GardenWeb about soapstone, you will find that there are harder varieties of soapstone and softer ones. However, even the harder ones get chips and dings. I am less worried about you and children if that is a home you are living in and you can get past the patina, but I would not have most renters in a house with soapstone. If the renter loves soapstone, I am sure they would take care of it, but it can be wildly unpredictible.

Granite comes in honed and leathered options, rather than polish. Some of these hold up much better to certain types of wear than soapstone, so you don't have to just have shiny.

I opted for laminate because I also have two small children, but we did a color that was most similar to a honed granite.

Here is a link that might be useful: My laminate

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

As much as I love soapstone, if you're going to be an out-of-state-landlord, I'd do laminate for now. As previously discussed, soapstone is prone to chipping (some varieties more than others). You've already had a terrible experience with renters. IMO, laminate is more likely to survive renters and is much more inexpensive. Save the soapstone for the future when you are able to live in the house "forever".

• maybeiloveyou
    12 years ago

There are other options for material that is not shiny. Granite can be honed. Quartz is quite durable and while it has a sheen, it is not as slickly glossy as granite. Concrete, laminate, etc. are other options.

If I were you - obviously this is just advice - I would NOT install a countertop you LOVE if you are going to rent your home out! I mean, the previous tenants left your home UNINHABITABLE to the point of "gutting it"?! Imagine what a potential renter would do to your new, beautiful soapstone countertops! I say get something cheap (laminate) in a soapstone-ish color (see: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg082204181113.html?22) and then when you are able to live in the house yourself, get the soapstone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soapstone laminate

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Renters trashed our home too and it took us 3 years to renovate it. We put in soapstone but a harder variety this time (we renovated for us). With the military; you may be moving to somewhere far where you cannot oversee your renters. A harder soapstone would work, but it's expensive. I would not put that in for renters. I'm assuming you may want to one day come back to this wonderful older home when all the transferring is done. I'd wait till then to make all these authentic changes. Most importantly, thank you to your husband and family for the sacrifices you make for our country.

• plllog
    12 years ago

I agree about doing the cheapest thing for the tenants. Soapstone, unless it's one of the sculpting varieties (which they also sell as slab) that's soft enough to scratch with any old thing, is perfectly fine for little children unless they're wild hooligans (same as the bad tenants). You can get little chips, however, and some scratching, and it isn't a great option for people who are going to trash your house. As a military family, unless you have outside funds, you probably don't want to hand over your beautiful soapstone counters to tenants. If you're going to stay there long enough to feel like you've gotten the life out of the cost of the counters, and anything the future tenants do to them is fine (though doesn't sound like a standard billet to me, where it seems you've just unpacked when it's time to move), then go for it.

Soapstone will not: stain, burn, absorb, or melt. Soapstone will scratch or chip.

• Lori Ryan
    12 years ago

I agree with flwrs do a laminate(a soapstone look a like such as what maybe suggested). When you live in the house full time, then go pick your slabs. Good luck and thank you for your service.

• marcydc
    12 years ago

Uh, even if you are close enough to "oversee", that means nothing. You can't enter a rental without a valid reason so you would have no idea about what's going on in the kitchen (although soapstone might be a very good choice for a meth lab :). And even if you did, you'd have a pretty hard time getting an eviction for a dinged up countertop. I wouldn't install anything that much exceeded the max deposit I could take.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

It's not about the soapstone. It's about what some tenants will do -- even well screened professionals. Do a laminate -- IKEA butcher block, something you are willing to live with and then replace when you can return.

We unintentionally became landlords when we had a couple swear they wanted to buy our house but they had to see if her medical residency came through -- or whatever stage it was she was at, so they asked us to lease for a year and then they would purchase if she was staying. We were dumb enough to agree and later found out they already knew they would only be there 9 or 10 months max.

Well, this was the home we lived in with our boys and we'd done a lot of work to reclaim the finish on the hardwood floors from the cleaning crew between the time we bought it and the time we moved in. We'd updated so much of the house and landscaped the back yard ourselves. We put in new carpet for sale because the carpet was starting to show its age and we decided we'd spend less replacing it with a decent but basic fresh carpet than we'd lose in a carpet allowance plus low-balling. So the house was pristine when they moved in.

In less than a year, this professional couple with one very young girl managed to gouge tracks through the hardwoods in the dining room deep enough the repair guy said he couldn't sand them out and would have to replace, They scratched the floors in the living room (not talking normal wear and tear even at my generous allowance for that after living with 2 active boys); they dripped bleach on the brand new carpet in two rooms, killed a lot of the landscaping, and left a lot of the fresh paint damaged. They didn't want to pay the last months rent and thought they deserved their deposit back. It wasn't a huge deposit and left us with about $5K in damages. That was with us replacing some plants ourselves, my touch up and polish on the floors rather than replacing a large section, creative work to only have to replace one bedroom's carpet and some other penny pinching. Good thing we were penny pinching and DIY on most of the work. We never collected a dime.

My husband's experience with tenants in the house he had with his ex was worse -- a LOT worse. I would not put in anything more than basic until you know you will be the ones to enjoy it and not have to trust others with it. For most of us, it's better to know the inexpensive choice will be part of your cost of renting rather than have the good stuff plus replacement with more good stuff at risk, especially when you factor in your time and emotional investment.

• gmp3
    12 years ago

I used to rent out a furnish apt in another state. The smartest thing I did was to include monthy cleaning service in the rent. I left instructions with the agency to let me know if the renters were trashing the place and I knew it was being cleaned at least once a month. I think the renters felt like the cleaning was a perk of ownerhsip and they at least kept clean. i had 2 renters in this 4 year time period as was able to sell it quickly without redoing anything.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Not a bad idea gmp3. I lived less than a mile away and still couldn't see most of the damage inside and in the back yard.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

As a real estate agent, I'd agree that a pretty laminate isa better choice for your house. It can take a beating, looks good and will be economical.

That said, it is not your salesperson's prerogative to use their conscience or not. I'd appreciate the warning, but it is up to you what you buy.

• colin3
    12 years ago

What lascatx said. Plus as a former renter (and a careful one) I expected functionality but not beauty in places I rented -- so I would not do stone for a renter's sake. Indeed if I were renting I'd prefer the laminate, 'cause soapstone *does* scratch and chip a little, and I'd worry about it.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

>Plus as a former renter (and a careful one) I expected functionality but not beauty in places I rented

Ditto. As a renter I wouldn't have expected/wanted stone counters. Unhideous is nice, but not always available and that's part of the price you pay for the freedom that comes with renting. Just goes with the territory.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Isabel- You've gotten some great advice, so far. It makes a lot of sense to use something cheaper for now and upgrade later.

On the other hand, I grew up in the military and I know how frustrating it can be to delay what you want, especially as it could be many years, before you can stay in one place.

I say go for the soapstone, enjoy it while you can and hope any 'possible' renters will appreciate how well it goes, with your historic home. A lot of people end up moving, after a kitchen remodel (even on this forum) so why not do what you want, if it's in your budget...and enjoy it while you can! Best of luck with the remodel :)

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

I didn't know if you saw this thread, but the granite looks like soapstone (at least in the pictures) and one GW person said they have it...it's durable and they have NOT had to seal it.

It looks very nice with the vintage hutch, behind the little table and chairs. Some people had trouble viewing the pictures, so many are posted in the thread, if you scroll towards the bottom. May not be what you want, but I thought I'd include the link :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

although soapstone might be a very good choice for a meth lab

This made me laugh and laugh. Just think of the advertising possibilities!

• NatalieChantal
    12 years ago

Okay I will be the first to disagree. First, DH and I were also military - both in until we had kids and I got out while he finished up three more years - so I know the lifestyle. I think soapstone would be GREAT. Yes, it chips and dings. It will with you living with it, not just renters. But it's practically indestructible, that's why you see it in 1950s chemistry labs and 1880s farmhouses. It will last through pretty much anything any renter could throw at it, and not look any worse for wear since even with you living there, it would get some dings.

Laminate is something I loathe`after living in too many rentals. It scratches, then absorbs water and swells, and is VERY easily ruined by careless tenants. That can also cause issues with the cabinets underneath. And IMO, despite many fans here, I think laminate looks and feels cheap, no matter how "pretty" or "natural" the pattern is.

DH rented a house from a buddy for years and we lived there when we were first married. Did a tour in AK and came back, the house was vacant again so DH's buddy was happy to let us move back in. The house was thrashed. Had to redo flooring, repaint everything (even ceiling), fix many issues. The laminate counters were in rough shape but re-doing them would have meant re-doing the kitchen, which wasn't feasible. They were scratched and gouged and the seams were swollen, and they never, ever, looked clean from all the soaked-in stains. If they had been durable, they would have stood up to abuse, but laminate just doesn't - maybe daily living with a careful family, but not renters who don't give a cr*p.

Bottom line, laminate WILL need to be replaced, and hope there is no damage underneath. Period. Soapstone will look pretty much exactly like it would if you lived there yourself. At most, it may need sanding. If it can stand up to generations of high school chemistry classes, it can handle a couple years of renters beautifully.

Your best bet though is not to rent, or do as the above poster mentioned and get a monthly cleaning so someone is keeping tabs on the state of your home. Agents have too many rentals to stay vigilant, and thanks to the Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act, you can't pursue deployed soldiers for damages (it was young soldeirs who trashed our fiend's home but since they were deployed, our friend could not pursue the thousands of $$$ of damage from them). I would never, but NEVER, rent after seeing what happened to so many houses with this high deployment turnover; better to sell and let it be someone else's headache.

• senator13
    12 years ago

Do you know what type of soapstone it is that they sell? Will they let you take home a sample? If you can, get a hold of a piece and subject it to what you think normal wear and extreme wear might be. If you are fine with how it looks after those tests, then I think you should still consider it.

• isabelscott
    Original Author
    12 years ago

WOW!! Thank you all so much!

The renters or squatters I should say really did some insane stuff here are a couple examples....they actually removed my upper cabinets all together. They put them BACK UP in the master bedroom screwed them right into the brand new drywall with drywall screws...I am just glad they were evicted before any more "construction" took place. Also they had a ferret...Not sure if you have ever smelled a ferret but it is unpleasant to say the least. When we moved in I stripped and scraped the old windows for days and days repainted everything the trim was amazing...they screwed them all shut with drywall screws they loved drywall screws. So yes they screwed us financially and they also prevented our family from living together after a year long deployment to Afghanistan b/c the house was still under construction.
    So anyways I just cannot thank you all enough for your input and thoughtful answers
    I am a homebody and have three children under three years so my kitchen is where I live. I have been lurking around this site for months and months looking at posts about soapstone and white shaker cabinets. I never imagined such amazing responses! I have a lot to think about....

We are having our cabinets custom built by a local cabinet maker.
    I priced them at a local lumberyard Kraft maid and got a price of $5,500 Lowes was $7500 and the Cabinet maker was $10,000. When I told the cabinetmaker we couldn't afford it he threw in installation so we decided to go for it. We convinced ourselves that they would hold up better to the abuse. But really I think once my husband saw the cabinet makers shop he fell in love.
    The soapstone that I want is the dark type with no veining and will be pretty much out of my price range...
    I have seen a lot of laminate in basalt slate and soapstone looks. Some that I loved in pictures... but up close I really really hate the edges of laminate. I also don't like the edge of an overmount sink. And those new wedges they are doing is not something I like either.
    I left the store yesterday with Absolute black polished granite. I have been reading other posts and seem to think what I might want is Jet black Cambria antiqued finished. The absolute black seems to be a problem for people with fingerprints and every little smudge showing.

HMMMMMMM........
    This would be a lot easier if I was debating about what I wanted I know EXACTLY what I want but it seems like it is impractical for our lifestyle....I really really really LOVE soapstone every single thing about it...
    Why can't the local high school be ripping out their old science lab right now... that would be perfect.
    And then I think about the meth lab point and with our luck that just might be our next tenants profession.
    Seriously though thank you all so much. I will definately be posting pictures soon!
    But here is one of my temporary kitchen just for the fun of it :)

• singingmicki
    12 years ago

Hate to join the crowd that's telling your not to get what you want, but all I can envision when I think of soapstone and renters is my high school chem lab where every immature teenager scratched their names in the counters. This could be in your future if you put that gorgeous material (which I love in general) in a rental.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Have you seen the bullnosed laminate? There are even fancier edges, but it costs more.

If you hate laminate that much, how about tile? Or stone tile? Or prefab (cheap) stone counters? Something that is well under your price range? Something you can live with and that you can accept future renters destroying? Also, check the Habitat store, eBay, Craigslist, Freecycle, etc., because you can sometimes find used stone counters that are in good shape.

I totally get why you love the soapstone, but not if it's pretty much out of your price range to get the one you want. How about absolute black granite? It's reputation is pretty much that it's bulletproof and it has a similar design impact. Also by repute, if you can live with polished, it's pretty reasonably priced for granite. Problem renters can destroy anything, but it would be better to start with something you can comfortably afford.

Alternative idea... If you're supposed to be staying for at least several years, and you really really want the soapstone, see if you can get an insurance rider for it that includes renting it. If you can get that rider for a reasonable amount of money, it could protect you if the stone gets trashed. Ordinary scratches can be sanded out, and tiny chips are normal, but maybe you can get it written for gouges, large chips, carvings, breaks, removal, etc.

• azstoneconsulting
    12 years ago

You ned to find another distributor - or a different person at the place that has the Soapstone.

Yes - Soaptone dings, Yes it scratches, Yes it weathers - that's he beauty of the stone !!!! IF YOUR HOME IS OVER 100 YEARS OLD - It's a NAURAL CHOICE to keep things historically correct - as Soapstone and Danby Marble were the first two natural stones to grace the countertops of homes here in "the new world"...... HA!!!

IF i were you - I'd rent to someone that ISNT gong to trash the home when they move out - via - HIGHER SECURITY DEPOSUT prior to move in... Money talks, and when someone puts down anywhere from 2 to 6 large on a deposit - chances are they will be "incentive-ized" to leave said property in the same good condition that they received it in...... I'm just saying - If I had to put more han $2000 down as a deposit - I'd leave the home in really good shape so i could get my deposit back...........

but that's just me

GO WITH WHAT YOU WANT - GET THE SOAPSTONE !!!!

hth

kevin

• marcydc
    12 years ago

az, in many places there are laws about how much you can charge for a security deposit. In CA it is 2 months rent if unfurnished and 3 if furnished.

I very much remember all the "Susie Jonny" carved into the high school chem lab counters.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals