Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

What to use for rim at back of counter?

If I get a gray counter (leaning toward slate/soapstone or steel gray granite). I don't want a traditional 4" tall splash, and not at this time planning a tiled wall, just painted. But, I do want a little something to cover the seam between counter and wall. Like a pencil tile, only finished on top and front. Has anyone seen or used that?

I recall someone had a 1" rim of the same material as their counter. I mention that to fabricators and get the "crazy lady" look. (or, more likely, "more work for us" look)

My cabinets are a color very close to Martha Stewart "gull" and I plan on doing the walls in a soft gray/blue/green.

I have seen something similar to what I am imagining in marble at the big box. Don't know about using the white with the rest of my color scheme though. All the other narrow tiles are unfinished on the sides (what would be the top for my use).

Please, any ideas/suggestions/pictures?

Comments (8)

• gpraceman55
    10 years ago

I have heard of some people doing a short (1" or 1.5") backsplash from their countertop material. It depends on the material. It is probably a lot easier for such short pieces to break in handling and in polishing the top edge.

Maybe you can find a fabricator that can cut the granite to fit the contour of your wall, so you won't need anything there. If not, I'd wait until the counters are in and get some samples of different things to cover the edge. With the counters in place, it will be easier to make a decision.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

My old kitchen was one of those that had 1-1/2" approximately, as a short backsplash. My soapstone fabricators actually suggested it. I was planning on none, but the kitchen was so small that the range actually touched the wall underneath where the glass backsplash would have started and the glass would have had to have been shaped around it and it was easier to do in soapstone.

I liked it because there was no seam and caulk joint of two dissimilar materials in the lowest back corner of the counter. There was seam, but it was tight and of the same material, easier for cleaning.

Soapstone is relatively easy to fabricate like this --they said the could even get fancier and make it a cove. ($$)

Granite or slate may be more difficult to cut so thin, because of breakage, I don't know.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

This shows more of it:

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Palimpsest for the pics -- that is the look I was thinking of. Small and unobtrusive.

gpraceman, true about deciding after I get the counters. But, if I am to get the same material, I would rather order all at once. And, what I can do might affect what I choose.

Thanks to both of you!

• sunsoleil
    10 years ago

I saw kitchens at Lowes (wished I had taken pictures) made of composite materials with a one inch splash and a coordinating mosaic which made it hardly noticeable. One of the kitchens had a short splash which was molded right from the countertop and I don't remember that one having any tile above it. I am removing my 4 inch granite backsplash and will need to replace it with a short splash to cover damage on original install. I wanted to go as short as I could, but the fabricator said to stay close to 2 inches so the granite does not break. I think composite materials may be easier to work with.

• mark_rachel
    10 years ago

I have a 2" granite backsplash & I LOVE IT!!! I know some people on here think it's the unpopular choice, but it looks really great & it's functional.

This post was edited by teachertile on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 14:06

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Schluter makes "transition strips" to cover the counter-to-wall gap.

Many colors, including brushed silvery metal.

I'm using their solid brass between wood and stone counters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Schluter edge protecters

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annalyn123, thanks for the tip. I will look at Lowe's again--our local ones were changing the kitchen displays last time I was there (they got rid of Corian and were bringing in Silestone)
    Teachertile, thanks for the picture. It helps to see what 2" looks like. I also like the look of your tile above.
    Lazygardens, you will have to post a pic of your counters when done! I know you have mentioned these strips before when talking about flooring. Some of the stainless steel ones for edging tile could be used in very cool ways in some of the more modern kitchens people are doing, don't you think? I may put a simple SS sheet behind the stove, and could use these to edge that.