Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sequence of DIY Kitchen Reno

Posted by scudagc (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 11:03

I am looking for advice on what sequence I should complete the following tasks (here is my thinking..feel free to comment or modify).

1. Remove cabinet doors and drawers
2. Use Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations to paint cabinet frame, doors, and drawers
3. Install new cabinet hardware
4. Put cabinets and drawers back on
4. Paint kitchen walls
5. Remove old laminate counter top and install new one (professionally done)

I guess my main question is at what point should we paint the kitchen walls. My wife believes that we should remove the countertops early in the process so that we can remove any caulking or prior to painting the kitchen walls. My thinking is painting the walls after everything is done so we can still have a kitchen sink throughout the process because our countertop will not be installed until the end of August.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sequence of DIY Kitchen Reno

I wouldn't do all that work on your cabinet doors and then re-install them until the paint for walls and counter top have been installed. If there is an "accident" you don't want your hard work to be affected. Dripping wall paint on your newly painted doors or drawers could be bad news, especially if you miss seeing it in time to wipe it off.
remove counter and paint walls before and do without the sink for awhile. It's not easy but it can be done.
Good luck! And post us some photos!

o

Here's the order I would personally do them.

6.1. Remove old laminate counter top. call for templating due to lead time
1. Remove cabinet doors and drawers
5. Paint kitchen walls
2. Use Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations to paint cabinet frame, doors, and drawers
4. Put cabinets and drawers back on adjust doors and drawers to make them even
3. Install new cabinet hardware
6.2 install new countertops (professionally done)

o

Scott:

Pull your laminate tops and splashes, if any, and cut the ends off at the walls. Cut them into one-person size pieces. Paint the walls and temporarily reinstall the tops including the sink. You can easily pull the tops again for templating and reinstall them before the new tops arrive.

o

Hello!

I also amin the middle of a DIY kitchen reno. If I may be bold- I would stay away from Rustoleum kitchen cabinets transformation kits. If you want to paint your cabinets, its safer to lightly sand, prime and then paint. The kits- well, they are not as reliable as you may want them to be.

Some people have no problems, and some do.. Just thought I would offer my experience.

Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here