Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roey736

Vermont Danby Marble - can you really remove etching by yourself?

roey736
10 years ago

I'm reading a brochure for Vermont Danby Marble (Vermont Quarries Corp.), and it says that you can remove any etching with comet and scotch-brite pads. Is this for real? Does anyone have this? Thanks for any info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermont Quarries honed marble care

Comments (27)

• Brensters
    10 years ago

Hello. Just wanted to give my two cents and hopefully help. :). I would tend to believe this to be true for two reasons; a big business like this could ruin their reputation making claims like this. I would think that they surely did allot of research and testing before they put this in writing. If they are reputable then they know their product well. The other is that I have been doing a form of art on gravestone monuments called "Etchings" for 23 years. Under the microscope etching is made up of pits and valleys on the smooth uniform surface. To re-polish granite that was etched, you use abrasive pads (graduated course to fine) and a paste, buffing in a circular motion moving constantly all over the area to be re-polished. Marble is much softer than granite, and if the finish is honed then it wouldn't take much to buff out the etching. They are likely making it easy for the customer to do it by suggesting commonly used household products. Yes, I would believe them. Hope this helped.

• finestra
    10 years ago

I wonder if the scotchbrite leaves a duller sheen than the regular honed. You might not see the etches, but do you see the difference between the original honed and the scotchbrite?

• Bunny
    10 years ago

difference between the original honed and the scotchbrite

Yes, but barely. I really looked for it and it took the harshest angled light. It's duller by a slight degree, but barely. Still, the etches on the original honed side are MUCH duller than the scotchbrite side, so the latter looks better by comparison.

The instructions say to reseal after this procedure and I don't know if it would make any difference.

• kam76
    10 years ago

Wow this is pretty cool. So it is just comet with bleach? And the bleach doesn't harm the marble at all...interesting.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Thanks Linelle! The left side does look better than the right. I had Vermont Imperial Danby installed about a month or so ago. My Danby is still "virgin marble". My mother has been ill and I've been out of town since installation.
    I had the fabricators our today for a couple of etches due to a sticky substance left behind by one the workers. After they removed the etches, (they are gone with the Comet + Scotchbrite), they did reseal. My understanding is that the Comet/Scotchbrite removes the sealer. The whole process looked pretty easy & is something I think I could do myself. My marble looks perfect.... not for long I'm sure. I'll report back when I get enough etching to remove & reseal. My fabricator also stated that they do the whole Comet/Scotchbrite process before they initially apply the sealer.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Imperial Danby Island

• julieste
    10 years ago

My fabricator told me something similar about removing small scratches and imperfections on soapstone, but he uses a more heavy duty 3M pad (one that is more maroon colored) that he says he buys at a local paint store. He suggests using this with Softscrub.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

kam, yep, just Comet with bleach. I had to make a run to the store to get some (I've been an Ajax gal, but like the smell of Comet better) plus Scotchbrite. Earlier I did try a paste of Ajax and a half-spent SOS pad (eek!), with no effect on the etching.

It's now dusk here and in the waning light I can see the etches on the untreated side quite easily.

Doesn't sealing prevent staining? I just plopped some ketchup on the clean scoured side which presumably had its sealant removed and it etched but didn't stain.

I was just dealing with a sample less than 1 ft. square that I held under the faucet to rinse off. It would be a bit messier removing all that stuff from an entire counter.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Is one Vermont Danby marble the same as another Vermont Danby marble? Just asking because my IKEA with a local fabricator in the DC area offers it for something like 60.00 (I may be off by a bit, but it's a great price).
    If yes, I'd be in business. Getting so excited!

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

I recently used Vermont Montclair Danby in a bath remodel, and made the decision based on the Comet remedy. In another recent bath remodel, I had used Calacatta Gold which I found to be ridiculously prone to etching. Water, toothpaste, every lotion, cream, etc. looked horrible. I couldn't do anything to "even out" the etches and make them less noticeable. I even left vinegar on it for hours, (Marble Guy's suggestion) used the Comet and Scotchbrite, used BKF...nothing helped.

Fast forward to the newer bath--this Danby marble is FABULOUS. I can't speak to kitchen stains, but nothing we use in the bathroom has left a single mark. It is so nice to know that future marks can be buffed out easily with the Comet.

• marthavila
    10 years ago

I've had Imperial Danby as a cafe table top for nearly 5 years now. On occasion, I've used BKF and a scrub cloth on it but, in general, I've never been particularly concerned about etches on this surface. Still, the other day, I noticed an etch that seriously demanded my attention. I also had a Magic Eraser nearby. Guess what? ME worked! :-) Not even a need for Comet or BKF. Yay! But, then, that's one of the reasons why I chose Danby marble in the first place. As far as marbles go, it's definitely considered to be one of the hardier, lower maintenance marbles. Love it.

• roey736
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for all the information.

Linelle, so glad it worked! Are you going with this marble then? Did you try this test with other marbles?

Romy718, your kitchen is gorgeous!!! That's the exact look I'm going for. Enjoy!

• Debbi Branka
    10 years ago

I tried this Comet and green scrubbie pad method on my honed statuary marble a few months back. It only dulled the surface bigger and duller than the honing. I have some pretty big spots. As with all etching, you can only see them with the light shining a certain way, but they are definitely there. I have several Vermont samples (planned to use them as coasters). Maybe I'll look into Vermont for my bathrooms. (Having said this, I still love my statuary!)

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Roey, my kitchen update has already happened and I have a dark quartz counter. It's fine and has its distinct benefits. I still have a longing for marble though and maybe can still use it on a bathroom vanity. I've always wondered about how well I'd tolerate etching so decided to experiment with a sample for future reference.

• rkb21
    10 years ago

linelle: what a great thread! I so wanted marble, but I just couldn't do it. I was worried that I'd be constantly telling the kids and DH to be careful, etc.

romy: your counters are just gorgeous!

• designsaavy
    8 years ago

Bump.

Romy and others with Vermont Danby Marble.....are you still happy with your decision?

How has the upkeep been?

I have to make final decision soon on countertop for perimeter and island.

Leaning toward black on perimeter (granite? Don't know yet) and white for island. I had ruled out marble until I saw this.

Hubby will be sitting at island to eat a lot, probably dragging his laptop across it.

• finestra
    8 years ago

I got mine in May 2012 and they are fine. They have some minor etching. No staining. If you drop something heavy and sharp on them, they will get a ding. Mine are honed. They are in really good shape. I previously had absolute black polished that were beautiful, but I took care of them too. I never cut on them either - always used a cutting board. They were more durable. But after three full years of the Danby, I am not careful at all except with heavy pots around the edges and near the sink. It will chip if you bang it with something heavy. I don't worry about the etches. I cook a lot - use a lot of lemon and tomatoes - especially in the summer with gazpacho! And my etches are few and far between.

• Debbi Branka
    8 years ago

Dragging a laptop across marble WILL scratch it. Those were the very first scratches on my island marble. The scratches bother me more than the etches. But after 3 years, none of it bothers me too much and I love my marble (not Vermont Danby - mine is statuary).

• finestra
    8 years ago

I dragged a heavy pot across my polished absolute black granite and got slight scratches that drove me crazy. I have honed montclair Danby and don't notice scratches, but I probably don't drag stuff much after my granite experience! Marble is a lot softer. I use a green scrubby a lot to clean the counters and the etches seem to blend.

Designsaavy, I ended up using my island much much more for prep than my perimeter counters. I also use it to serve during parties where a lot of spills happen. It also naturally gets used for wine service. So my big etches and potential for stains (like I said the stain guards seem to really work as I have none!) are all on the island. I have a big island 4x9. Just something to consider. My perimeters are all broken up by sink and stove. I don't know your layout, but I anticipated using my perimeters more than I do.

If you are going to be bothered by etching, don't get marble.

• designsaavy
    8 years ago

Have any of you been using the Comet/scrubby method? Affective?

Cost in your neck of the woods?

• Debbi Branka
    8 years ago

I have used it on my statuary. It dulls the etch. I have found the green scrubby, dry, does better for me. It still dulls a little, but the etch disappears. DISCLAIMER: This method was recommended for Vermont Danby, not for other types of marble. I decided to try it anyway since I had some large etches. I have honed statuary marble. The marble gets "dull" if you have a spot you work in all the time (I do, so I speak from experience). When I got the etches out with the green scrubby pad, it looks the same as the dull place where I work all the time. I have had my marble for 3 years. I would think in 10-15 years, the whole thing should be dull and worked on - PATINA!

Like the other poster above, I also use my island marble for EVERYTHING. I prep on it, serve parties on it, serve my family on it, put the groceries on it when I bring them in the house. It is well used. (Ours is 3x11 by the way.)

Not sure what you mean when asking about cost. You mean the cost for comet and green scrubby pads? Maybe $1.50?

• designsaavy
    8 years ago

Lol, sorry for confusion, cost for your marble In your area.

If y'all have pics, I'd love to see them!

• Debbi Branka
    8 years ago

Our marble was about $4k I think. Maybe $4 something.
    Here's a picture at install:

And here's a picture a month or so ago:

• designsaavy
    8 years ago

Beautiful marble, Debbi, and I love the blue island. We are doing a white perimeter and painting the island also, but haven't decided what color yet.

Right now I am open to ideas as far as the countertop goes, and hearing all your input about the marble will help.

I'm even considering a wood topped island......but that's for another post!

• romy718
    8 years ago

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2858114/honed-vermont-danby-marble-countertop-owners-love-it-or-leave-it

This is a post from Feb., 2015 discussing a few GWer's Danby marble experiences. Not much new for me since then. My daughter & her family spent 6 weeks with us this spring. I'm pretty diligent about keeping my sink deck dry from splashing water. That didn't happen during their visit. Any water spots or etching that occurred, I was able to remove with a moistened Magic Eraser.

Also, I did an experiment similar to Linelle's with 12"x12" Danby & Calacatta marble tiles. I did ketchup, vinegar, wine & oranges with major etching. I was able to remove all the etching (Comet/Green scubbie) from the Danby. No success removing etching on the Calacatta.

• designsaavy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Great, thanks Romy. Looks like the Danby really is more dense in the marble family.

I called a local stone supplier today and got on their list of people who want Imperial Danby samples.

Price will come through whatever fabricator we choose. They did say their price categories are: low, moderate, high and quote. I asked them what quote was and they said it was higher than high.

Of course, the Imperial Danby (along with Soapstone that we were considering) are in the quote category.

When I asked a fabricator about the soapstone, they quoted $130/sf.

If the marble is going to be that high, unfortunately we won't be able to do it.

So bummed. :(

Thanks everyone for input.