Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A17 really bright bulb?

Posted by oldbat2be (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 10:55

I posted this in lighting, but there's not a lot of traffic there...

I need a narrow A17 (2" diameter) with a medium base bulb, to fit inside the amber glass in one of these lights. Since it is mounted up fairly high on the back of our house, I'd like it to be as bright as possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Again, the glass cylinder allows for max 2" width bulb to fit inside it.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A17 really bright bulb?

The 2" width makes it tougher as you've noted.

One idea might be the MaxLite Candelabra LED 2.2 Watt (25W) Candelabra Warm White (2700K)

Product Details
Brand
MaxLite
Energy Used 4 Watts
Volts 120
Bulb Shape Bent Tip
Base Candelabra (E12)
Width (in) 1.5
Length (in) 4.6
Average Rated Life (hr) 20000
Brightness (Lumens) 240
CRI 80
Color Temperature (Kelvin) 3000K
Energy Star Qualified Yes
Warranty
5 year limited
Bulb Technology LED
Bulb Finish Clear
Bulb Color Soft White
Dimmable Yes

Another idea may be the Philips Prisma CFL 14 Watt (60W) Capsule Warm White (2700K) but it's 5.5" long which may not fit:

Base Type Medium
Brand Philips Lighting
Color Warm White
Color Temperature 2,700 Kelvin
ENERGY STAR Qualified Yes
Light Output (Brightness) 840 lumens
Recommended Incandescent Replacement 60 watts
Wattage 14 watts

Specs
Base Type Medium
Brand Philips Lighting
Certifications UL
Color Warm White
Color Rendering Index (CRI) 82
Color Temperature 2,700 Kelvin
Dimensions 2.0" width, 5.5" length

Here is a link that might be useful: Out Door Lighting

o

Oldbat
I surfed and found this one. Might be the same as sparking water
http://www.bulbamerica.com/philips-5w-120v-a17-2700k-warm-white-el-a-fan-e26-fluorescent-light-bulb.html?mr:trackingCode=1A8DE96B-B625-E211-B425-BC305BEDE924&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=t&mr:adType=pla&gclid=CNu6gvPE-L8CFaY-MgodMH4ACw

o

Try googling "Medium Base Torpedo Lamp." These are the flame-shaped lamps, so the bulb diameter isn't much wider than the base. I saw 60 watters in my search--I'm not sure how bright is bright enough for you.

o

Is that yellow cylindrical part removable? If so, you could pull it out and then use any decorative light bulb.

o

Whichever bulb you settle on, be sure it's approved for outdoor use and can be enclosed. Some fluorescents cannot be placed in an enclosed fixture.

We have a string of exterior lights along the driveway which are enclosed in globes. I replaced the 2700K incandescent bulbs with 5000K compact fluorescents and they are much lighter and brighter. The white light is great at night.

With an amber filter I'd go for a 5000K bulb that fits.

This post was edited by rococogurl on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 9:10

o

Hi all,

Thank you very much for the suggestions and advice. I guess I'm hoping for something 100 Watt equivalent, max I've found so far seems to be 60.

We've had a tall ladder on the ground next to this area for the past 12 months and I need to bite the bullet, put up a 60 Watt, and then put the ladder away:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here