Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nypatti99

How does black granite hold up? Anyone with experience...

nypatti99
13 years ago

We just went out to the granite yards yesterday and found a really pretty piece of Saturnia granite (lots of swirls and mica sparklies). After reading here, I am a little worried now about wear issues, so I was thinking maybe we used the Saturnia just for the island (flat surface, not cutouts/cooktop/sink, but will have seating) then getting a more plain black granite for the perimeter counters.

While it seems like the Saturnia would scratch faster, it also seems like it camoflauges the scratch pretty good. We're thinking (hopefully someone can tell me that if this is true) a plainer black will not scratch as easy, but if it does, will the scratch be more obvious? Any other issues with black granite we need to consider?

We didn't go into this thinking we were going to do black/dark counters, but its what we liked best when we got to the granite yards.

I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, lots of cooking and tons of baking. I'm not careless, but I really want to use my kitchen and don't want to feel like I have to tiptoe around. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Patti

Comments (10)

• antss
    13 years ago

centuries !

but, like everything else it's only going to look new, unblemished and pristine the day it's installed. After that it's all downhill.

• marcydc
    13 years ago

I had it in a former kitchen. It does show streaks - can't just wipe it with a sponge. I found though that Ecover Glass and Surface worked really nicely, so I just got using to using that instead of cleaning up with rag or sponge.

I don't think it would scratch any easier (my mom did crack mine though!!)

• weissman
    13 years ago

Only your diamond rings will scratch it or another piece of granite - granite is one of the hardest substances around.

• cardamon
    13 years ago

I had Via Lactea I believe it was spelled. It was black with a small amount of white swirl in some areas. It was easy for me to keep. Streaking or fingerprints were not a problem. I had good light in the kitchen as well. There wasn't anything I didn't like about that granite except sometimes I didn't see my keys or cell phone right away! I wouldn't hesitate on the black. This house I chose a lighter granite for a change but I did like the black

• dianalo
    13 years ago

A friend of mine has Black Galaxy and when I commented on how pretty it looked she said it was a real pain to keep it looking nice. It shows fingerprints and smudges (and she has 3 kids). Hers is a polished finish, so that may not be helping.

I always think soapstone looks pretty and I do not think it shows much in the way of smudges and fingerprints. If the granites don't work out, it may be a good alternative.

I currently have solid, pale peach, old, pitted laminate from the p.o. and I can tell you it shows everything, including the dings, scratches and marks left by the p.o.s, so it always looks messy despite being clean. Anything will be an improvement!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Ours is Labrador Golden Flake. Has some scratches--I read that granites with lots of mica tend to scratch more easily. It cleans up very nicely with alcohol-water mix (in a spray bottle). I've been trying that out recently (using it on SS and granite--works beautifully!). Also used Perfect Kitchen on it with great results.

The only things that seem to leave marks are lemon juice or vinegar mixed w/ oli (e.g rings under bowls holding those mixtures). Lemon juice or vinegar by themselves doen't mar it, but the suspension in oil seems to have an effect if left for awhile.

I'd use it again--we love it and don't find it a PITA to clean (well, I don't, DH doesn't clean it!).

• Buehl
    13 years ago

We have polished Absolute Black Premium throughout our new kitchen and love it! Yes, we would do it again!

Scratching...I think Weissman is referring to me! I scratched my counter with my diamond ring...it was, unbeknown to me, under a book on the counter. When I dragged the book toward me, I heard a scratching sound. When I picked up the book & saw my ring, my heart sank...sure enough there was a scratch about a foot long on my counter. Luckily, the scratch is so fine that I have to really search to find it...I'm sure no one else sees it!

Our counters look as good today as the day they were installed (spring 2008)...no "wear & tear", etc. other than that scratch, but no one can see it but me (and I see it only if I search for it).

As to "streaks"...if you wipe your counters in a circular motion you rarely see streaks...unless you have too much detergent on your dishcloth/sponge. If you do, you will probably see streaks and/or a haze...but they wipe right off with a rinsed cloth. When I want my counters to look "pristine" and shine their brightest, I use Method Daily Granite Cleaner (found at Target, BB&B, and other stores) and a microfiber cloth.

Note: The microfiber cloth is a great item...it works on granite, stainless steel, etc. better than even cotton materials. There's no lint.

[FYI...my ring would have scratched any surface, so any counter I had would have been scratched!]

• weissman
    13 years ago

actually buehl I didn't know you had scratched your counter with a diamond ring. I was just referring to the general fact that diamonds are one of the few substances that are harder than granite.

• nik211
    13 years ago

I've been curious about black granite also. I think it would look great in my kitchen but if I am going to do new counters I want something that will be easy to maintain in a busy kitchen (no scratching/fingerprints/easy clean) and inexpensive (I know certain granites are $$ than others and I need to be at the low end).

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Uba Tuba is one of the darker granites as well as one of the more affordable. It also has some "movement" so if you're someone who must have a pristine-looking counter at all times, it might be a good choice. The movement hides crumbs and fingerprints.

I will say, though, that I don't find crumbs or fingerprints an issue...they don't appear to be that noticeable. But, I'm not fanatical about everything being pristine at all times.

Each of us is different...so if you know now that a stray crumb or two or an occasional fingerprint will bother you, then get a stone with movement to hide them.

Weissman...I posted about my shock & dismay at what my engagement ring did back in May, so I thought you were referring to me!