Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purrus

Backsplash recommendations?

purrus
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

Well, our cabinets are on order! I have chosen white shaker cabinets and a quartz called Alaskan White that I love. We will have medium wood floors installed stained to match the rest of the floors in our home (a nutmeg color of oak).

I am wondering what backsplash you all see with this combination of materials. I was originally sold on white glossy subway since I have always loved that look, because it is classic, and also because I can find it for very inexpensive cost (which is still very important to me because I splurged on the countertops); however, now I'm wondering about other options because I have seen so many yummy backsplashes here. I do see the quartz as being the focal point of the kitchen and I don't want anything else to compete with it.

And yes, that hideous linoleum in the background is my original 1962 flooring. SO TIRED OF IT.

Thanks!

purrus

Here's a picture of the cabinet and the quartz sample. I am looking forward to your suggestions!

Comments (8)

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Omigosh, how pretty! I like your own choice of subway white. If I were to do anything different, it might be a soft gray to unite the quartz with the cabinets. Trust your instincts.

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks, tomato freak! I may well just do that. I certainly LOVE the look. I just want to be sure I've considered other options too.

Now that we've pulled the trigger on this, I am just ready to light a match to my hideous kitchen. It is so gross and dysfunctional!!!! SO EXCITED!

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, I did have another place where I'll need tile; behind the range! I'm going to get a SS range hood with no cabinet above it (does that make sense) and my KD said I should choose some sort of accent tile or pattern behind the range that would go up the wall behind the hood. She showed me a beautiful kitchen with white subway tile every but behind the range/hood; there, glossy white penny tiles were used. It was beautiful. Can anyone think of other options besides this? I know pennies are a lot more expensive than subway tiles, so there's that to consider...

• Lisa
    9 years ago

What brand of quartz is that? I've never seen quartz that looks so much like real stone. It's beautiful!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

A google search brings up Vicostone.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Look at Daltile Rittenhouse Square (subway shape) in Ice Grey.

• KS_Chicago
    9 years ago

So awesome! Love it! I almost went with stainless backsplash in my kitchen because I didn't want my backslash to compete either... Just a thought if you want to go a more contemporary route...

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I do love the quartz as well. IMO it looks like a really beautiful stone and feels like it as well--I was a bit horrified when I realized it was engineered, but it honestly does not feel that way at all. I'm super happy with it and can't wait for it to be installed. Hearing you all say how pretty it is makes me feel even more confident in my choice for the countertop, which is good, because it wasn't cheap. Whew!

I guess for now I will stick with the plan for white subways on the backsplash. Because the countertop is such a statement, I want to make sure not to get too complicated.

Thanks again!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022